Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Another VATS Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4,
Axle/Gears: 3.73 w/SLP Zexel Torsen Limited Sli
Another VATS Question

I know this has probably been covered but all my searches of the archives have come up empty. I want to put a remote start kit on my car but I have the VATS. I'm wondering what do I have to do to be able to get a remote start to work with this system? what type of work around will i have to do? What extras will I need to buy to install the kit? please help... Chicago winters are really cold haveing to wait ten min for heat whenever i go some where sucks. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: "02 z-28
Engine: LS-1
Transmission: 4L60E
Couple of things. You can measure the pellet resistor in the key, then get a variable resistor and adjust it to the value of the key. Find the wires coming down the steering column(yellow pair I think) and unplug them and place the resistor across the wires going away from the column. That effectively fools the VATS into thinking the correct PASS key is in. Then you can wire in the remote starter. Remember, by doing this the anti-theft feature will be disabled. Although this information is not technical, I don't think the moderator will mind because this applies to ALL TG owners with a PASS key system. If you are recieving a discount form your insurance carrier for having an anti-theft system and it is intentionally disabled they can delay payment in the event of an issue. My friend found this out with his vette. Key cylinder was bad and he bypassed it. It got swiped from a mall, recovered but with damage. They are now delaying payment. You could use a DPDT switch mounted inconspicuosly and when the remote is used flip the switch one way to install the resistor, flip it the other way to restore it to the PASS key mode. You would have some sense of security that way.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instead of a DPDT switch, just wire the remote start with a SPDT relay, and the proper resistor.

This way, the VATS is still active, and you have your remote start available.