Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Alternator wiring in race car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator wiring in race car?

I'm reworking my A-Sedan Camaro and have tossed the factory wiring in favor of a much simplified home-made race wiring set-up.

My only question is about wiring up the Alternator...

Big red wire obviously goes to the battery positive (which I'm wiring to the battery post on my kill switch).

There's then a 2-wire harness with a black and a red wire.

Am I correct that I can do without the black wire? This just feeds the idiot light on the dash (which is long gone).

What about the small red wire? Is this the "exciter" and I need to feed this battery power? Either thru a switched positive line or tap straight into the fat red wire? Does it matter?

Have I got this right?

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-30-2003, 06:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: "02 z-28
Engine: LS-1
Transmission: 4L60E
It would help to know what alt you have, however normally here is the commonest setup. Heavy wire in rear from lug goes to battery through a fusible link. The 2 wires in the plug can be different depending on application. Normally the red wire goes to a key on 12 volt feed, the other wire can be in a different spot on the plug depending on whether the car had a guage or a light. Normally on TG's with a guage it is the sense wire. They run that wire to the interior to sense voltage drop in the harness and to keep the voltage steady. You can simply tie that wire to the other wire on the plug. Don't hardwire either wire on the plug to a constant 12 volt source, make sure they go on and off with the key. Try this site, www.alternatorparts.com . They offer an online manual for the CS alt with different wiring configurations.