Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ignition problems

ok guys, without taking everything off and testing it I need some help potentially diagnosing my ignition. This morning I started my car as usual, and drove about 5 minutes to a gas station to fill up. I pay inside, come back out and my car will turn over but not fire....there was no spark. My car has a carburated 350 in it with an MSD pro billet HEI distriibuter(coil in cap) along with a MSD 6AL box. I tried to bypass the box and the car would not even turn over, but it will turn over with the box attached, which leads me to believe that the problem is in the distributer itself...anyone have any ideas? I'm really frustrated at this point(and after paying almost $200 to get towed back home since I was 3 hours away)

thanks, Daniel
Old 11-02-2002, 06:28 AM

What is a MSD 6AL box please.

The engine must be earthed to turn over, so check the distributer clamp is tight to be sure it is earthing OK.

The simplest next check is to pull the red ingition wire off the distributer and see if it is getting any power from the ignition.

You can check the module by listening to see if the injectors are firing. If they are the module should be OK and the problem is the connections to the HT side.

It sounds like there is a connection loose inside the distributer.

The next checks are to the coil and you need the manual really to check properly. You shouldn't have to pull too much apart to find the problem.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Andy Bush
What is a MSD 6AL box please.

You can check the module by listening to see if the injectors are firing.
That would normaly work, but
My car has a carburated 350 in it
That is a classic symptom of a bad ignition module, it works till you shut down, then will not restart.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:07 PM

Ah, yes, eh hem, well spotted.

I reckon you have probably fixed it by now, but if not and there are no sparks, and you lost the injectors you are stuck for a quick check. But is doesn't take long with a meter to go through the checks.
Old 11-02-2002, 09:42 PM

I actaully haven't had time to mess with it anymore so I'm not sure, but I am leaning toward the module being bad...as for injectors, there are none....and the car will turn over all day long, just won't fire...as soon as I get a chance I'm going to take the module out and run it up to get it tested