Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Help!!! MY RS has gremlins...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001 | 10:02 AM

Help!!! MY RS has gremlins...

Intermintant starting problem. when you turn the key, it does nothing at all. No power getting to the starter solenoid. There was a relay buzzing in the dash, I replaced it, but it didn't solve my problem. The car also has a new ignition key and lock cylinder, and a new starter. I just bought a new ignition switch and a new neutral saftey switch, I have not installed them yet. This problem only happened every now and then but now it has gotten very bad, itonly starts about 2% of the time now! Any ideas guys? It is a 305 automatic with vats(pass key)system, but I have had no codes set from that, so I doubt it's that. Thanks for the input, and pass this posting on to a friend if they may have an idea!

------------------
'92 RS Heritage Pkg, 305TBI,automatic... CURRENT MODS..Melling 207:214 roller camshaft, Large snorkle air cleaner w/ K&N filter, Injector spacer, ACCEL super coil, Taylor wires,power pulleys, 6* timing advance, flowmaster catback exaust, hollow cat, '95 Z28 exaust tips, P245/50/ZR16 tires, Edelbrock strut tower brace, Edelbrock panhard rod, frt & rear urethane swaybar end links, urethane sway bar bushings, subframe connectors, urethane track bar bushing, KYB shocks, F41 factory performance handling package,Z28 tranny centrifical governor, and more to come soon!
Old 11-27-2001 | 02:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '92 Z28; Dk Teal; Her Pkg
Engine: 305
Transmission: Richmond 6 Spd
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", Detroit Locker, 3.70
Could be an intermittant VATS problem. Watch the "security" light when you turn on the ignition. The light should turn on for a few seconds & then turn off. If the light comes on & stays on, then the module is reading the wrong resistance value from the key & will not allow the car to start. If the light does not come on, then there is an open circuit (infinite resistance), or a short circuit (zero ohms resistance) in the key resistance sense circuit (which consists of the two wires from the VATS module to the lock cylinder, the contacts in the lock cylinder, and the key), and the car will not start.

------------------
Tim

1992 Z28, 305 TPI 5 speed, 12.0 sec @ 114.8 mph

1984 Berlinetta 305 TPI Auto, 13.8 sec @ 99.7 mph
Old 11-29-2001 | 01:03 AM

okay guys, I need a few more helpful replys...