Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

wiring gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring gremlins

I have an 85 berlinetta with digital dash and controls. They are all screwed up, and I can live with most of them since this is a beater. The one I can't live with is the headlights not working. It has 3 buttons on the dash that control the lights: parking lights, low beams, and one to switch to high beams. When I started looking at it the other day, the park lights would work with the button, but the headlights wouldn't. Now none of the lights work, but I can hear the solinoid click for the high beams when I mash that button. I found all the solinoids that the controls use on top of the ecm. Appearence isn't important to me, so I can rig up some toggle switches and relays under the hood if I can do it easily enough. Also, the hazard lights won't turn off, so I had to take that relay out. That's not the problem, though, because it started before that. Anybody that can help with this is greatly appreciated. I can give more info if it's needed, but I think it's getting kind of long.

------------------
Jeff

'85 Berlinetta, Special Beater Edition
Mods include a 4bolt 350 with 280*, .460 lift cam, Vortec heads, Comp Cams roller tip rockers, Edelbrock TES headers, no other exhaust . Also, rusted parts on all 4 corners, and crumpled fenders, thanks to the previous owner.
Old 10-25-2001, 04:26 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
This.. (you'll have to copy & paste these in a new window)
http://www.geocities.com/vtcamaro/Pi.../pg124-125.jpg

And I believe this...
http://www.geocities.com/vtcamaro/Pi...rams/pg184.jpg

.. might help your quest, it's standard light switch details. You should be able to hunt down the right wires to tie switches into from that.

------------------
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach
you to keep your mouth shut."
Old 10-27-2001, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Haynes manual that got me started, and then tracked the right wires down. I was looking at it thinking that one wire would power the low beams, and one would power the high beams, but only one light comes on. It looks like the lights are wired in series, and should light up on both sides. I also tried putting power to the lights one at a time, and 3 of them work. Has anybody had to do this one thier car before, and how did it work when finished?

Deadbird, that's a cool site.

[This message has been edited by 85 Berl (edited October 26, 2001).]