Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Computer installed in car

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Computer installed in car

Police vechials no a days have computers in them. And I am liking this idea in my camaro. I am searchign for the right size LCD screen, that I'm gonna get re-enclosed in ABS plastic that matches the dash plastic texture with those lil screws I got off ebay. Anywayz, let me get to the details:

I want to hang the LCD from the under side of the dash, you know how maros have that lip. I plan on taking apart the used laptop. I'm computer experiniced, and stuffing the compents either unde my seat or in the center console. I'm gonna have the CD/DVD rom and Floopy up in the center console, should e interesting.

Anyone think I'd have any problems running the wires through my dash and wiring it so that the computer runs off the car all the time? I mean I can get an adapter for my cig lighter, so it shouldn't be hard to wire it to the car. but were would I wire it? fuse box?

------------------
un4givin89

1989 Camaro Ralley Sport
305 TBI
ElderBrock Open Element
1 1/2 lowering springs

Project List:
Flowmaster Exhaust
New holley Fuel pump
Elderbrock Headers
Battery to Trunk
New Valve Covers
Windows tinted
Sound System

www.mikekey.net
Old 09-20-2001, 07:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats the point of it if ur driving u cant use it anyway?
Old 09-20-2001, 11:04 PM

i can think of a few reasons. DVD/divx movies for passengers on long trips. Many cars use scan tools that are laptop based, so it would basically be an added instrument panel. Possible standalone fuel controller for the future. Cheap mp3 stereo with graphical navigation. Voice activated accessories. Really, tehre are all kinds of reasons.
Old 09-21-2001, 01:53 AM
Banned

I got to sit in a cop car today. Umm reckless driving, 20 mph over. Anyways, i was watching and they have wireless instant messenging in the damn thing. Nothing like AIM or ICQ, kinda looked like IRC, but in some non public software. Anywayz it was very interesting, becuase that computer is clearly hooked up to a wireless network.

So having something like this, in my car, I could get GPS, email, communications vechial stats, etc.
Old 09-21-2001, 02:14 AM

I've been doing a little research on this myself.

If you go to www.carsound.com and do a search for my name, you can find my posts about in-car computers and see the responses I got.

Basically, the only thing really holding you back is going to be the monitor. The only way you're going to get a small screen is to go to one of the companies that make commercial monitors (like the cashier's screen at the grocery store) and pay a lot of money for it. And the in-car TV screens don't have enough resolution to be useful.

If you can make the space, though, you could just use one of the many flat-panel monitors available.

The smallest flat-panel you'll find available is 15". Most of them have a huge framework as well. I found one, though, that's very thin, and the frame is very small as well. It's made by KDS, and it's $400 at Wal-Mart Super Center, or $350 at Sam's Club.

Old 09-21-2001, 02:33 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/welcome.jhtml sells all kinds of neat sh-t like small monitors & the sort fairly cheap. They do also make pc-to-tv adapters to lower the resolution for tv viewing. Why not just take apart/use the laptop screen ? I've been planning on getting a cheap laptop myself just for mp3s (& for diagnostics) to replace my changer, you could roll the car w/no music skips

Hope that was a sweet enough answer for you un4given lol
------------------
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when its open

[This message has been edited by deadbird (edited September 21, 2001).]
Old 09-21-2001, 03:50 AM

Car: 89rs
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Well, here is my take on doing a computer in your car. (By the way, if you hooked the sound up to your stereo, and have a decent sized hdd in that laptop/comp setup. Can you say 3000+ hours of mp3 cd quality music?) I was gonna do this to my baby, but I probably never will. I only wanted the mp3s really, I don’t even have a dvd in my house right now let alone my car. Anyway, if you decide to do a real pc buildup, you can buy power supply’s that hook to a 12v source. Since every computer component runs off a 12v source, just the power supply everyone has in their personal computer converts it from ac. So you can hook it up to your ignition and your pc will boot up etc. I’ve seen people stuff motherboards (atx mb, with built in video/sound) under their seats (including hdd, and power supply.) You can get a small tower case and throw it in the trunk. I would recommend spring cushioning the hdd in a small metal box so you don’t hit a bump and scratch the surface of the drive. (causing failure to read in most cases, and if it’s the boot sector your ****ed.) As for the lcd screen, best (and cheapest) option I’ve seen are ones that attach right up to the roof of your car and flap down. Unless you have a t-top/convertible this is a very good option. Make sure you get a tft lcd screen, it’s the difference between nice and crisp and a big blur. Just my two cents on the whole thing, ohh! I forgot. www.mp3car.com for hardware and a look at other cars with comps and **** in them (for mp3 playing, but same thing.)
Old 09-21-2001, 10:22 AM
Banned

Like I said, I dunno if you saw, I am taking apart my laptop. The screen I've got is 12.1 inches viewable. I am going to get it re-eclosed in some ABS plastic that will match the dash witht hte toqx screws and all. Mount it from the underside lip of the dash. The keypad and touch pad will have the same hting happen to them, and the CD/Dvd drive and zip drive will be mounted in the center console. The rest of the PC will be re-enclosed in a box under the drivers seat.

So i just gotta figure out wiring. I fiugre all I'll be doing is making the wires already in the laptop alot longer so i can strech its compents all over

------------------
un4givin89

1989 Camaro Ralley Sport
305 TBI
ElderBrock Open Element
1 1/2 lowering springs

Project List:
Flowmaster Exhaust
New holley Fuel pump
Elderbrock Headers
Battery to Trunk
New Valve Covers
Windows tinted
Sound System

www.mikekey.net
Old 09-21-2001, 10:50 AM

I would use a remote monitor that is already DC compatible. Check out the new Summit Racing catalog in the back. They have several monitors for vehicle applications. You could then run an RCA to RCA or RCA to LPT1 converter to the computer. You won't have all the DC/AC conversion problems with the monitor that way (120V inverter). Plus you won't have to butcher your laptop.
Old 09-21-2001, 10:57 AM

Ive already done this stunt with my 86 fiero GT.. i used an advantech pcm5824 embedded pc and an advantech 6.5" full color tft touch screen display.. the embedded pc directly runs off of 5V (simple voltage converter needed) and 12V (some voltage protection needed here also) from the car power system.. i removed my sterio and hvac switches from my center console and installed the touch screen there .hvac is now controlled from a touch screen menu on the embedded pc and the sterio is a mp3 player run by the embedded pc i also have full systems monitoring, gps navigation and too many other toys to mention.. the pcm-5824 has compact-flash drive ,sound card,usb,parllell, serial port and ethernet built right in so expandibility is limitless.

the O/S and GUI that supports the human interface touchscreen is all run under QNX 6.0
Old 09-21-2001, 11:53 AM

devnull,

Do you have pics? Or a technical how-to article? I'm sure all of us would greatly appreciat it!

Where did you get the small monitor? Was it costly?

Un4givin,

I am by no means a computer expert. But from what I've learned by asking around, is that every laptop computer has its own proprietary video "card"/driver setup. Or maybe I'm wrong about the details...but the long and short of it is that it would take A LOT of skill and time to make a laptop screen work with a home computer. On the other hand...if you're using the laptop screen...but keeping the laptop computer hooked up to it...you should be fine.
Old 09-21-2001, 03:32 PM
Banned

I'm keeping using the whole laptop here, its just wiring thats gonna be hard.
Old 09-21-2001, 04:29 PM

i should have pics kicking around here .. i'll have to go dig them up. as to the technical manual. perhaps i should write a web page on this topic if there is enough interest..

costs/specs were:
pcm5824
2 serial rs242/422
1 printer port
1 floppy port
1 ultra eide port
1 compact flash socket
ess sound port
1 usb bus
1 tft/stn/plasma/fed port
1 vga port
64 megs ram
300 mhz processor
1 lvds port (low voltage differential signal)(for touchscreen)

cost U$300.00

640 x 480 tft lcd display/cables
U$450.00

compact flash card 96meg
U$60.00

power conditioner's
U$10.00

misc hardware (microcontrollers to monitor vehicle functions and their related pcb's)

U$100.00

the embedded O/S was free (get.qnx.com)so was the development tools (same place).

i will be installing one of these systems on my current project (3.8l SC into a 96 fiero gt )once i take care of the drive train problems..
so if anyone is interested i will create a detailed website on how to make this work.. it was alot easier that you might think..

Old 09-21-2001, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 700r4
I think the project is very cool and unique but I doubt it would work.

I'm in the computer business myself(technicien on portable computers) and there's few things you need to check before making this:

1. if your going with a hard-disk you'll need to find a very well balanced spring loaded tray because your hard-disk drive will be dead in no time with vibration, bumpy road, humidity and wheater changes.

2. If you are doing it, i would recommend getting a 10 inch display from an old 486 svga portable, 13.3 inch or 12.1 would be way to big to look nice execpt if it would be integreted in the back of the front seat for people sitting in the back .

3.the voltage from your battery is never exactly 12 frvolt. it range from 11.9 to 13.5 volt...a normal computer would die farely quick with constant different voltage ... if you go with a laptop battery you'll have to change it every 6 month or so.

4. cdrom and dvd will skip alot, regular cdrom and dvd for computer only have a 5 sec skipping buffer...most of the time .

I guess the only way to do something that will be good and look nice is to go with a proffessionnal setup from the company listed by other people in this post ...

I do like the project but man , that will involve lot a money and lot of time.

------------------
LT1 POWERED
HEADMANS HEADERS
NEARLY 300 HP.

EATS MUSTANGS FOR BREAKFAST

next mods:
crane roller rockers 1.6
lt4 hotcam kit
airfoil
58MM edelbrock trottle body
new paint (wet look blue)
17' rims with 275 zr 40 and 245 zr40
Old 09-21-2001, 05:12 PM
Banned

I'd like to see them there photos.

mat89RS I'm in the computer too, the laptop I bought is a former Police Panasonic Toughbook. The best you can buy, designed for use in vechials by the police. Took forever to get it.

[This message has been edited by un4givin89 (edited September 21, 2001).]
Old 09-21-2001, 05:45 PM
Banned

Here is a picture of the LCD screen I got,

I gotta get it recased in the matching ABS plastic and figure out how I'm gonna mount it. AS far as your concerns about the CD-Rom drive, I'm not to worried. This isn't something that'll be widely used, and it'd be mostly for show. And just to do it. I do plan on using it for GPS and NOAA access. My brother works for NOAA and gave me his key and I have some of the Weather mapping software so I can always get Sat feeds in my house, why not in my car with wireless internet?

[This message has been edited by un4givin89 (edited September 21, 2001).]
Old 09-21-2001, 07:25 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mat89RS:
I think the project is very cool and unique but I doubt it would work.

I'm in the computer business myself(technicien on portable computers) and there's few things you need to check before making this:

1. if your going with a hard-disk you'll need to find a very well balanced spring loaded tray because your hard-disk drive will be dead in no time with vibration, bumpy road, humidity and wheater changes.

>why go to all that trouble? im using a compact flash card. looks exactly like a hard drive to the embedded pc and takes a $hit load of abuse..

2. If you are doing it, i would recommend getting a 10 inch display from an old 486 svga portable, 13.3 inch or 12.1 would be way to big to look nice execpt if it would be integreted in the back of the front seat for people sitting in the back .

>advantech sells a 6.5" tft panel that plugs right into their board. its truely plug and play..

3.the voltage from your battery is never exactly 12 frvolt. it range from 11.9 to 13.5 volt...a normal computer would die farely quick with constant different voltage ... if you go with a laptop battery you'll have to change it every 6 month or so.

>agreed thats why tou need a dc-dc switching power converter..

4. cdrom and dvd will skip alot, regular cdrom and dvd for computer only have a 5 sec skipping buffer...most of the time .

>i didn't use a cd/dvd.. music was contained on a second conpact flash card.. 96 meg cf card is good for many hours of mp3's

I guess the only way to do something that will be good and look nice is to go with a proffessionnal setup from the company listed by other people in this post ...

I do like the project but man , that will involve lot a money and lot of time.

>total cost for me was $2000.00 that included the pc-104 gps card and all the various microcontrollers to monitor sensors etc..

</font>
Old 09-21-2001, 08:16 PM
Banned

why waste all that money?? My est cost is about 500 bucks. I got the PC from a Police auction for 200 bucks, getting the custom abs plastic and that made should be bought 150 and some wiring and transformers.
Old 09-21-2001, 10:31 PM
Banned

either way, this should be interesting. Lets get some pictures!!!
Old 09-22-2001, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 700r4
ok well good luck. From my point of view it's just better buying the sony XVM-6100 and also an mp3 player. Sure you don't have the driving direction but it would be a nice setup .

your project is cool, I'm not saying this project as crazy, I'm just saying what I've learned in life.

------------------
LT1 POWERED
HEADMANS HEADERS
NEARLY 300 HP.

EATS MUSTANGS FOR BREAKFAST

next mods:
crane roller rockers 1.6
lt4 hotcam kit
airfoil
58MM edelbrock trottle body
new paint (wet look blue)
17' rims with 275 zr 40 and 245 zr40
Old 09-22-2001, 02:18 AM

As far as the vibration issues go...

First of all, I've heard many different opinions about the use of home computer hard drives in cars. Many people say that you'll pretty much luck out and not have any problems. I also figure you could get an old broken CD changer...mount the hard drive where the CD cartridge goes...thus taking advantage of the changer's suspension.

As far as CD-ROM drives and such, I took my home computer and shook and rocked and banged it all over the place while a music CD was playing, and it didn't skip at all.
Old 09-22-2001, 02:36 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Laptop harddrives are meant to take a lbit more abuse than home computers & it take one h-ll of a blow(kick) to actually damage a home computer hard drive (not that's I've proven this theory on my packard bell,,, )

stretching wires isn't that difficult,, just time consuming.
Old 09-22-2001, 11:56 AM
Banned

This is from the Panasonic website about the laptop I got from that Police auction, the TOUGHBOOK,

All Toughbook hard disk drives are mounted in shock-absorbing polymer compounds insulating the HDD from vibration and shock, while protecting your mission-critical data.
Vibration-resistant LCDs
To prevent costly damage to the LCD display, internal dampeners prevent damage by absorbing shock and sudden impact.

Flexible Internal Connectors
Should the notebook be dropped or bumped, flexible connectors between the hard disk drive and system board protect against the transfer of shock between these components.

This unit has the acclaim as the toughest, most durable, field-tested notebook computers in history. It was designed to meet the most demanding endurance and performance specifications--ideal for construction projects, field appraisers, marine, and desert usage. Some of the basic features, include a rugged magnesium alloy cabinet and carry handle. (20X the strength of ABS plastic cases!), a vibration dampening polymer material that encases both the FDD and HDD, and a totally sealed LCD screen. If you're in the field, and encounter a drizzle---no problem! If you drop your unit accidentally, again, no problem. If you have stringent dust and humidity conditions, this unit is designed specifically to defeat those problems. In one test, a truck was driven over the notebook, and didn't even affect the operation or stored data !
Old 09-22-2001, 03:43 PM

I have a HDD in my car for a MP3 player, and you really don't need all the suspension stuff, all you need to do is mount is sideways. I have a HDD that is about 5 years old in there and it has traveled nearly 9,000 miles (8,000 this summer) and it is still fine. These are over some of the roughest roads I have ever seen (NY roads SUCK!), in 100+ degrees and operating for 14 hours a day (I leave it on when I got gas, etc).

I am going to add an LCD screen to my car, soon. I have a video card that does a TV out, so I am either going to use my old laptops LCD screen (10 inch i think) or buy a TV one. Eventually I want to use it to run DVDs and music videos, and ripped videos.

Old 09-24-2001, 10:01 AM
Banned

I got back from a car show, no one with Camaros has any screen in theres. However the Rice Burners in the far coner who were getting no attention gave me some ideas on how they mount and wire their stuff. However most of these dummies save there money and then pay someone to do it for them.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:01 AM
Banned

I've gotten started. I'll get some pictures here soon. You're gonna love this.
Old 09-26-2001, 12:01 PM

Car: 92 Formula
Engine: L98
Transmission: A4
I had this idea several years ago when I first got the 'maro.... I am eagerly waiting for your pics!

P.S. Devnull.... 96 Fiero GT? You did mean 86, correct? Fieros did end production in 88.... right?

And where are your pics?

------------------
http://kiztope.50megs.com
92 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.7/A4
K&N, nothing else yet!

92 Rs 3.1/T-5
Beautiful car, several mods, but now I am turning attention to the 'bird!

AIM : Theonekiztope

"Maybe one day life will take a turn. When it does Lean into it!" Leon Calrinsky (98)
Old 09-26-2001, 12:25 PM
Banned

I went down to the computer shop and the guy is gonna look into by some big bulk amounts of those disk wires and etc. But he says I'll still ahve to splice them.
Old 09-28-2001, 11:37 AM

i am also really interested in this... anybody with pics? Let me know..

------------------
Just another FIREBIRD FANATIC that loves passing all the "RUSTANGS".
I am still learning so any and all help is asked for and welcome.
1985 Firebird Trans Am
Totally customized Exterior & Interior.
Customized stereo....
T-5
Posi rearend
Oversided Cam, headers, etc!

TONS OF FUTURE MODS!
(there's alwayz something to do)

Until It Sleeps...
Old 10-08-2001, 10:36 PM

Car: 92 Formula
Engine: L98
Transmission: A4
Any news?
Old 10-08-2001, 11:35 PM
Banned

i broke my lcd screen in half, my dremel went nuts. So nothing yet. Its been kind a postponed
Old 10-10-2001, 09:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 406 Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4
Go on over to this site:

http://www.mp3car.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

lots of these guys have computers in their cars to control MP3 players and such.