Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

remote dimmer wires

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote dimmer wires

Had a few quick questions regarding the remote dimmer on an 88 firebird.

If the dimmer has failed would the headlight warning buzzer still work?

And also.. I heard that stock radios had a brown wire that connected to it.. and it needs to be grounded out for the gauge lights to work.. is this the same brown wire that comes off the remote dimmer? or am I just being blind and can't find it..

Also when the brown and dark green wires are grounded out together the gauge lights should be at full brightness right? Mine blows a fuse
Old 09-11-2002, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: remote dimmer wires

looks like you've been reading my firebird dashlight troubleshooting page:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/thirdgen/remotedimmer

Originally posted by Trans-Am 88
Had a few quick questions regarding the remote dimmer on an 88 firebird.

If the dimmer has failed would the headlight warning buzzer still work?

And also.. I heard that stock radios had a brown wire that connected to it.. and it needs to be grounded out for the gauge lights to work.. is this the same brown wire that comes off the remote dimmer? or am I just being blind and can't find it..
the brown wire on the radio harness is the same wire that connects to the remote dimmer. do not ground the brown wire as it will cause your taillamp fuse to blow every time the headlights are turned on.

Also when the brown and dark green wires are grounded out together the gauge lights should be at full brightness right? Mine blows a fuse
dashlights should come on at full brightness when the green and brown remote dimmer wires are connected together. blowing the taillamp fuse means that you've got a short somewhere in the instrument illumination circuit.

if you've got an aftermarket radio installed in the car, start with the radio circuit first. try cutting the grey wire on the vehicles radio harness and tape up both ends so they do not short against anything. if the dashlights now illuminate without blowing a fuse, you've found your problem.