Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Possibly converting to electric windows... How hard?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 08:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '10 Subaru Forester
Engine: 2.5 Boxer
Transmission: 4EAT
Axle/Gears: 4.44
Possibly converting to electric windows... How hard?

The jury may still be out on electric windows... I haven't personally decided whether it is an acceptable addition to a sports car or muscle car, whichever category you believe these cars fall into...

I currently have the mechanical roll down windows and I was wondering if I could rip out a motor and switch assy from a junkyard queen and replace the mechanical system with an electrical system ?? Would it be easier to replace the door itself? I would rather keep my minty fresh door and not have to paint a "new" one... my main motivation is that it is very difficult to roll up the passenger side window when it starts to rain suddenly (crazy NY weather).

Thanks in advance

------------------
1984 Firebird - Daily driver, 305 LG4, T5 - Hurst short shifter, Edelbrock 600 CFM Performer Carb - Edelbrock Pro-Flow air filter, gutted cat, IROC 16x8 Wheels, Goodyear P215/60/R16, AIWA bargain basement (from Sears of course) CD player
Player accessories: fuzzy dice, eight-ball Shift ****
Check out my ride here

First Kill: 2001 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon (1 person vs me with 2 passengers)
Old 08-13-2001, 04:23 PM

I just did this to my 82 Z28. I started out by getting electric doors and complete wiring harness, (very important) from a donor car. You'll also need the interior door panels (or you'll end up with holes where the handles went) and a new console with the holes for the switches. This would be a good time to get any of the other electric goodies that you may not have. I got poer locks, electric trunck release and consloe mounted analog clock of my donor car (which was a T/A BTW).
I installed the passanger side door and the wiring harness myself. They wern't very hard to do. I suggest having someone help with the door install. It's a little hard to handle solo like I did. Pay carefull attention to where everything for the harness comes from so you can install it all properly. Take notes or pictures as you remove.
Installing the electric motors is actually a little harder, but worth it if you have clean doors. Mine had seen better days, and I was getting the car painted anyway, so I went the whole door route. You'll need an cordless drill to remove the rivets if you're going to remove the motors yourself. Getting the assembly in to the door takes a little manuevering, but isn't too hard if you pay attention to how you took it (or the manual crank) out of the door. I used the large hole in the rear portion of the door with the window up. A helper would also be usefull to do this.
Hope this helps. Email me if you need more details.

[This message has been edited by GuyRicardo (edited August 13, 2001).]
Old 08-28-2001, 01:56 PM
TGO Supporter

It's easier just to buy a car with them in there....conversions are a pain, and always seem to end up with problems.
Old 08-28-2001, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Firebird SSA
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: 700R4
Eazy... Just do it. I did....
Old 08-28-2001, 05:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '10 Subaru Forester
Engine: 2.5 Boxer
Transmission: 4EAT
Axle/Gears: 4.44
Now what kind of fun would it be if I didn't break anything?
Old 08-29-2001, 01:23 PM

lots of companies make kits with motors and rocker switches etc that are universal, and aren't that expensive. i would go that rout, and then you don't need to replace the console and run wires under the carpet and through the door jamb for the switches.

------------------
'84 Berlinetta, LG4, 700R-4, starwars interior, no major mods yet