Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Radar Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 10:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS - Fully Restored w/Custom Int
Engine: LO3 with some mods
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond
Radar Question

Anyone ever heard of a type of radar gun that can detect a vehicle's speeed while the vehicle with the radar gun is moving in the opposite direction?

If so, does anyone know how it works?

------------------
92 Camaro RS, LO3, 5-spd, T-tops

Performance:
K&N Open Air Filter, Edelbrock performer TBI intake, Fastchip Prom, Timing +4 degrees, Centerforce clutch, Xact 8mm wires, SLP 1 3/4" Headers (coated), Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Z28 Grille w/aftmkt fog lamps, MacEwen white-face guages
Electronics:
Alpine 8030 Alarm System, Valentine One Radar Detector (How did I ever drive without one?), Pioneer DEH 7450 Head Unit w/6-pack CD changer, Pioneer DEQ 7600 Sound Processor, 2 Kenwood KAC-846 Amps powering 2 12" Pro Red subs, 2 Pioneer 6x9 and 2 MTX 4x6 speakers.
NEXT UP: TBI mods, 3.42 gears w/Torsen posi
Old 07-28-2001, 03:02 PM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's connected to the vehicle's speedometer, and adds or subtracts the speed to or from the return value accordingly. Most of the county and state officals here have them.
Old 07-28-2001, 06:18 PM

do a search on the web for radar equip. and read about them from manufacturers.

you got a ticket didnt you!!

heres some things you can do to fight it... (trust me i have this thing that i have to go fast...so i have learned)

1. fight the ticket
2. supeona (sp) info on , when the radar gun was calibrated,when the tuning fork that calibrates the radar was tested,the vehicles speeometer calibration papers, the officers certification on use of radar, how many times prior to your stop was the radar used (since calibration)
3. find out from local dpw (i think) if the signs posted where you were pulled over are certified state signs (lots of signs are a generic and not official)if the speed was even posted.
also you can try to find out (tough part) what kind of gun was used (also needed for supoena) make/model, call and find out from manf. what the reccomended interval between calibrations are, to see if it was done accordingly.
they will look at you like you are nuts when you go it to fight a speeding ticket with a stack of supoena'd info...but if they dont comply with any part of it...it is a lack of evidence and it will more than likely be thrown out. or...you could just pay it, take the surchage,and hope you dont get anymore....

HOPE THIS HELPS YA SOME!!

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/gdm

------------------
87 z28 bowtie aluminum 420small block dry sump crower lt. wt. knife edged crank oliver lt wt rods brodix track 1's super ram intake slp 1 3/4 headers accel dfi art carr 700 r4 3.42 gears ssm sub frame/ladder bars.....other parts on the way ,soon to be finished!! couple more weeks!!!
Old 07-29-2001, 10:38 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS - Fully Restored w/Custom Int
Engine: LO3 with some mods
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond
Yeah I got one, but luckily it was just a warning citation. What really got me pissed was that the power wire from my radar detector broke and I was too lazy to get another one. If I had it I would never have gotten caught.

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-03-2001, 06:03 PM

contrary to popular belief, it aint hooked to the speedo. it uses like doppler system to tell how fast the cop car is moving, and also the target speed. (had a buddy of mine was a park ranger, he showed me how it all works) when they test the guns(he does it at begining and end of every shift) they got tuning forks that are certified correct or whetever and he can take and put both of them in front of it and one was 77 and the other was 32 and it pops up TARGET SPEED: 45
he showed me how thye gotta have the certificates and stuff for the forks to take to court, and hes gott have his radar certification card with him at all times. he says you can ask the cop to show you your speed and test the gun right in front of you if you wanna be a *** , but most times it just pissed the cop off for no reason.
Old 08-03-2001, 10:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Take
Engine: Your
Transmission: Pick
I don't bother fighting tickets anymore. All I wanted was to reduce the fine and the judge asked me if I was guilty and when I said yes, he freaked. He told me to stop wasting everybodies time and pay the fine. Totally made a fool out of me. Now I just pay it.

------------------
FREE CARFAX Record Check

If you live in Southeastern US, check us out!
South East Thirdgen

GM Master Tech
ASE Master Tech + L1

Savannah, GA

'87 Trans Am
S/D TPI retrofit including functional PassKey,
22# injectors,
Whatever chip I feel like burning,
JET AFPR, Ported Plenum,
TB Coolant Bypass, Custom Cold Air,
SSM SFC, KYB Shocks, Boxed LCAs, Wonder Bar,
8mm Accel wires,
Flowmaster Exhaust,
16" GTA rims,
Corvette Servo,
3.73 Posi
4wheel Disc Brakes
Summit 1-5/8" headers, 2.5" Dynomax catback.

Best 1/8: 9.519@72.74

'97 Bonneville SSE
Old 08-04-2001, 02:05 AM
Jza

I've beaten every ticket I've taken to court. I never cared about the fines, I just didn't want too many points on my license at a time.

GenHazzard: maybe where you live or in that instance that's possible. i'm not gonna dispute that or call you a liar, but here, the radar guns that the county and local state troopers use receive input from the speedometers.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The speed determined in this way is the speed difference between the police car and the target vehicle. These comments have described the situation for a stationary police car, the common situation. Some radar guns meant for use in moving Police cars are also connected with the Police car's speedometer, to automatically adjust the output reading to the correct
value for the target vehicle.</font>
this just came the first hit from a search engine looking for "how radar works".
Old 08-08-2001, 01:06 PM

I guess I wont put in my 2 cents. I wouldn't want to get u guys mad at me.

------------------
88 9C1
93 9C1 (Impala SS clone)
84 Trans Am Recaro WS6
Old 08-08-2001, 02:43 PM
Banned

I'm in the air gaurd and have worked around alot of RADAR units big and small and I don't know where you people are getting all your info, friends in the Park Ranger service or off some BBB, but its damn amusing. Radar guns that use doppler is even more impressive. I'm sorry to point out you can't fit a doppler system into an 7 by 4 inch device side mounted to the vechile.

Here in the state of Virginia the troopers use side mounted laser/radar. It is mounted to the side of the vechial and can detect how fast your going even if the cop is moving. Becuase you can't travel faster than the speed of sound in your car or the officers the device shows up as actual speed. Older units couldn't do this becuase of closing the gap difference, but newer units, depending on your states buget do. Normally State Police are the ones with all the radar toys. You're local law enforcement are more likely to have less expensive devices. Give me an hour all get you all the reading on this subject mathatic formula by formula.
Old 08-08-2001, 02:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Not so; a radar company will "lease" a fancy new radar gun to a police company. The more tickets they pull in = the more money the radar gun company makes.

Don't fight with the cops, guys... do it in court. Don't tick the officer off; the best idea is to accept your ticket and LEAVE! Don't put your license back in your wallet, don't fix your hair, don't put your insurance card back in the glovebox under the McDonalds' napkins. Just put on your seatbelt, turn on the left blinker and leave the scene when traffic's clear. Police can take notes on the back of their copy of the ticket- and the more you sit there, the more notes they can make about your car, your attitude, the # of cars on the road, etc- and the more he'll remember you. If you wind up getting a laywer and going to court a few months later, you don't want that officer to remember you. You want to be filed in his mind as "ordinary speeder"- and if he has to testify, he won't be able to say much.

On the other hand, if you argue with him, and request to see the speed, and the tuning forks, and his certification- he'll remember you for a while. Plus, the subpeona gets you all that information anyway. If his certification's expired, or he had no tuning fork records, your chances are much better in court.

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!