Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Swapping a Grand Prix digital systems monitor into my Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 12:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Swapping a Grand Prix digital systems monitor into my Camaro

A friend of mine has a '90-something Pontiac Grand Prix that he's going to junk. It has one of those neat Driver Information Centers, which is basically a digital readout that tells you if a door is open, etc. It's practically identical to the readout in some of the digital dash GTA's. I think it would be neat to put that in my Camaro, but I'm a little curious as to how it operates. Would something like that be controlled by the ECM, or would it have its own dedicated computer?
Old 08-25-2002, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

Anyone?
Old 08-25-2002, 01:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS & 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 L v6 & 305 (5.0L) v8
Transmission: 4L60 Auto
It would be a major headache because not all that wireing and sensor are there, besides it won't fit very well in place of your current dash, I would just get that one go to the junk yard.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:56 PM

yeah that would be really neat, but the only spot i can think of for you to put it would be the center console... I think it would be more of a pain in the @ss than what its worth.. sure it can be done but it would be very time consuming running all those wires. I agree with ryan let it go to the junkyard
Old 08-29-2002, 08:46 PM

WHY DONT YOU DO SOMETHING EVEN BETTER FIND A GTA WITH A DIGITAL DASH IT ALSO HAS A DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER WHICH TELLS YOU IF YOU HAVE LOW COOLANT,LOW WINDSHIELD FLUID,BAD HEADLIGHTS,LEFT OR RIGHT DOOR AJAR ,TRUNK JAR,AND THE BACK LIGHTS...AND IF EVERYTHING IS OK IT WILL DISPLAY "SYSTEM PONTIAC O.K" THATS AN EASIER WAY...I'VE SEEN A FEW DASHES ON EBAY FOR SALE..MAN I WOULD JUST GO AND BUY A GTA WITH EVERYTHING I'VE LOOKED AT THE WIRING INVOLVED AND ITS MONUMENTAL..YOURE GONNA HAVE TOO MAKE HOLES IN THE FIREWALL GET A RADIATOR WITH THE LOW COOLANT SENSOR....MY CAR HAS THE DIGITAL DASH ITS NEAT TILL YOU HAVE TO BUY A PART FOR IT...EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS..

PONTIACGTA1988@AOL.COM
Old 08-29-2002, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 SVO
Engine: Volvo headed 2.3T
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 8.8" 3.73
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PONTIACGTA1988
WHY DONT YOU DO SOMETHING EVEN BETTER FIND A GTA WITH A DIGITAL DASH IT ALSO HAS A DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER WHICH TELLS YOU IF YOU HAVE LOW COOLANT,LOW WINDSHIELD FLUID,BAD HEADLIGHTS,LEFT OR RIGHT DOOR AJAR ,TRUNK JAR,AND THE BACK LIGHTS...AND IF EVERYTHING IS OK IT WILL DISPLAY "SYSTEM PONTIAC O.K" THATS AN EASIER WAY...I'VE SEEN A FEW DASHES ON EBAY FOR SALE..MAN I WOULD JUST GO AND BUY A GTA WITH EVERYTHING I'VE LOOKED AT THE WIRING INVOLVED AND ITS MONUMENTAL..YOURE GONNA HAVE TOO MAKE HOLES IN THE FIREWALL GET A RADIATOR WITH THE LOW COOLANT SENSOR....MY CAR HAS THE DIGITAL DASH ITS NEAT TILL YOU HAVE TO BUY A PART FOR IT...EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS..

PONTIACGTA1988@AOL.COM
[/QUOTE

could ya unlock the caps....
Old 08-30-2002, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

Yes, the Grand Am (I thought it was a Grand Prix) has a driver information center that is practically identical to the system used on the GTA's... it displays the exact same information. This is the device that I want to put in my car... with a little fabrication work I think it could be made to look stock. I haven't pulled the unit yet, but I was trying to think of how it's wired. It seems like the system would need to have a separate wire for each sensor, which it probably grounds (for simplicity, rather than applying power to the wire). Therefore, all I should have to do is ground each wire and see what message it displays. I'll have to check to see if this is how it works, but it seems logical. What do you think?
Old 08-30-2002, 06:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI LO3
i know i'm prolly gonan get a lotta flaming for this one, buthas neone seen the heads up displays in the grand prix gtp's?..that would be awsome to put in a third gen, but is it possible?