Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: Formerly - 87 T/A, 87 Bird.
Fog Lights

Just wondering, my fog lights don't turn on when I push the button (87 Trans Am). I haven't checked yet but if one of the lights were burnt out would that cause the other one not to turn on as well? Thanks
Old 07-30-2002, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird, 2000 GTP
Engine: 327
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9" posi, 4.11
I would check for either a damaged wire, fuse, bad switch, or else the bulbs. I have no idea what it could be since I don't have the fog lights, but those seem to be the main things that could go wrong.
Hope that helps.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:29 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah i am in the process of adding forlights to my car and i am having some problems also.

first off the car came prewired from the factory, but did not come with the lights, switch, fuse, switch panel.

so i bought the switch and panel and installed them today, i also put a 25 amp fuse in the spot on the fuse block.

then i installed the fog lights to the connectors already there.

so after all that i turn my parking lights on, and the swithc lights up (good), and then i hit the swtich but i dont see the green light come on nor does the lights.

so i belive that i either have the wrong fuse? or is there another fuse inline for the lights?
Old 08-02-2002, 01:22 PM
TGO Supporter

also where is the fog light relay located??
Old 08-04-2002, 01:31 PM
TGO Supporter

anybody??
Old 08-04-2002, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if you are aware of this, but, the factory wired fog lamps on the firebird won't come on unless either your parking or head lights are turned on.
Old 08-04-2002, 09:43 PM
TGO Supporter

i think the factory size fuse for foglights is 20 not 25, so i am going to try that tomorrow.

well at least for me i turned on the parkinf lights and the fog light switch lights up red, but when i hit the switch the green light in the switch does not turn on, neither do the foglights. i bought the foglight switch off ebay from hawks thirdgen and they said that the switches worked.

does anybody know where the foglight relay is located?, and if the the factory fuse for the foglights is 20?
Old 08-05-2002, 08:12 AM
TGO Supporter

anybody else?
Old 08-05-2002, 08:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: "02 z-28
Engine: LS-1
Transmission: 4L60E
You need a fog light relay. My 89 camaro it is located on driver side in front of the firewall but not mounted to it. It kind of sits by itself and it is a completely square device as opposed to the oval shaped ones. Look for an empty connector in that area, and thats gonna be it. And YES, the lights are wired in parallel so it does not matter if one is out or not. One will still work. The power for the fog lights comes through a fuse link in the harness according to GM drawings which feeds the relay contacts, coil power comes through the headlight switch which gets it's power from another fuse link. They do require the parking lights to be on to function, but not the key, same as the headlights.

Last edited by Danno; 08-05-2002 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:54 PM

Car: 1986 Firebird T/A 7,213 Orig Miles
Engine: 305 4bbl V8
Transmission: 700R4 auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Fog Lights

Thought I would add to this since I have an issue with my bird as well. I have a 1986 TA with the fog lights and they don't come on. I found the fuse relay on the DS right in front of the Windshield Washer reservour. I also found the fuse and wires were covered in this black goop. I think there is no connection becasue the goop is all in the wires and the relay box...I might just switch things out completely with new wiring from a donor and a new relay from GM. anyone else see that kind of crap on their wires?
Old 04-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by MdFormula350
yeah i am in the process of adding forlights to my car and i am having some problems also.

first off the car came prewired from the factory, but did not come with the lights, switch, fuse, switch panel.

so i bought the switch and panel and installed them today, i also put a 25 amp fuse in the spot on the fuse block.

then i installed the fog lights to the connectors already there.

so after all that i turn my parking lights on, and the swithc lights up (good), and then i hit the swtich but i dont see the green light come on nor does the lights.

so i belive that i either have the wrong fuse? or is there another fuse inline for the lights?
on my car there is a fog light relay located on the left just a little way in front of the brake booster.maybe you don't have that part?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:18 PM
OTL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '87 GTA, '09 G5
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: .327

Originally Posted by RoccoNH1
Thought I would add to this since I have an issue with my bird as well. I have a 1986 TA with the fog lights and they don't come on. I found the fuse relay on the DS right in front of the Windshield Washer reservour. I also found the fuse and wires were covered in this black goop. I think there is no connection becasue the goop is all in the wires and the relay box...I might just switch things out completely with new wiring from a donor and a new relay from GM. anyone else see that kind of crap on their wires?
Mine had all that sticky black goop inside of the fog light relay and power connector too. I think it was put in there at the factory to keep moisture out.

I'm having the same issue with my fogs as you are too. My relay was getting power so that was the first thing I replaced. I have brand new bulbs in my fog lights also that I checked before they went in and the bulbs are good. Ive tried 2 different fog light switches that both light up indicating power, but when you hit the button to turn them on theres no green light and no light from the fog lamps.

The only other thing I can think of are my high beams dont work. Someone attempted to steal my GTA from the previous owner and they messed up the turn signal lever to the point where you cant flick the high beams on anymore.

I know the headlights or parking lights have to be on for the fog lights to turn on, but make sure you dont have the high beams on or your fog lights will also be disabled.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:03 AM

Car: 1986 Firebird T/A 7,213 Orig Miles
Engine: 305 4bbl V8
Transmission: 700R4 auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Yes I ended up fixing all my issues and everything is working well. I scraped all that crap out of the relay and connectors and used a good dielectric cleaner. I changed the bulbs and checked all the connections with a multimeter. I also changed the bulbs in the side markers too just to eliminate any issues. For you, I would check the fog light controller inside the cabin, something is amiss there. Good luck though I hope it helps!