Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Aftermarket ignition questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: Tire Chirpin A4
Aftermarket ignition questions

I'm doing a tune up on my Iroc and this is the list of tune up parts I got:

Crane Hi-6s
Accel 300+ wires
Bosch platinum +4's
Holley ignition module
Hypertech cap,coil,rotor

Should I expect to see some performance gain? If so how much? My motor has 251,000 miles on it. I'm not going to harm anything by my hodge podge mixing of parts am I? I'm also adding a TPIS adjustable fuel pressure regulator. What is the factory fuel pressure setting, and what should I adjust it to once the new regulator is installed. I purchased a new O2 sensor and EGR for my tune up as well. Does anyone have the part number for the EGR solenoid? I set my TPS volage and IAC. My question is do I have to do this again after doing the tuneup? And lastly, what do they mean when you disconnect the battery to reset the computer about the Computer "relearning my driving style?"
Old 07-25-2002, 02:36 PM

Car: Purple Haze Metallic 92RS
Engine: Super-ram 383cid
Transmission: race prep 700R4
Tune Up

well you've selected some good parts to throw at you'r ride with the exception of the plugs. You said your car has 250K miles, does it use any oil? I would imagine it has to use at least a little. If so the chances of those plugs fouling with thier small porcelian encased center electorde is even more likely. That brings me to the next piont, the design of the bocsh plug is good in the repect that the center electrode reaches it's ideal temperature to keep the plug clean very quickly, the problem is that because of the inherent lack of surface area in the design of the plug it cannot dissapate excess heat efficienlty enough. This can become a real problem when you have an aftermarket ignition system, and it is definatly bad if you tend to run things like octane boosters of really strong fuel system cleaners, it is possible to burn the center electrode right out of it. My personal recommendation would be to try either an NGK plug like a UR4 or try a champion truck plug (sorry forgot the plug number). Take a look at the construction differences if you get a chance you'll see what I mean.
-good luck
-mike
Old 07-26-2002, 09:26 AM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: Tire Chirpin A4
Thanx Max. I might take the plugs back. The car only uses maybe a half a quart of oil between oil changes. I figure this due to the old worn valve seals. I used rapid fire Delco's last tune up and I figured a hotter plug would work pretty good. I figuresdthe H4's were a pretty hot plug, but I don't want to waste my time and money, cause takin' the plugs out is kind of a pain in the a$$. Can anyone else help me?.....
Old 08-15-2002, 08:19 PM

The Bosch +4 will work great. I have been using them for many miles with no problems at all, they are one of the best plugs for an aftermarket ignition, especially since they are pregapped and never need gapped again. You go to a wider gap with aftermarket ignition, and these are best for it. They are set at.050