Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Solid Check Engine light, not going into closed loop (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 03:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears
Solid Check Engine light, not going into closed loop (long)

The subject: '82 z28 with the carbureted 305, comp cams xe256h, edelbrock performer intake and TES headers.

Problem: Check engine light stares me in the face and laughs all day long. ECM Will not go into closed loop.

History: Problems first began a few months back with a flickering check light. The flickering then turned to an always on situation. I tried the paperclip diagnostic tool to pull a code but the check engine light still stays solid.

The past month and a half my car has been to two different shops in town (a third one come Monday) trying to figure out what's going on. So far, the computer has been replaced 4 times and 3 new chips have been installed trying to track down the problem.(stock one is back in) Both places have given up on solving the problem. I know for a fact they have replaced the O2 sensor, checked and fixed vacuum leaks, probed wires, and have had a look in the distributor. They've checked grounds and at one time had 14 grounds to various places but still no change. The scan tool one of the shops tried using, couldn't get any info from the computer.

I only have till the end of the month to get this thing running right so I can pass smog here in California. Right now it's running full rich and the distributor isn't getting advanced by the computer. The last owner lived on the coast plus the T-tops leak, so there is a question of corrosion. I've checked under the dash a bit and it's not too bad looking. Just some surface rust on the bare metal.

Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: After just reading what Vader said in another thread about how the check engine light turns on and off, shouldn't the light stay off if the ECM is pulled? Mine still comes on even with the ECM pulled. hummm

[This message has been edited by EvilCartman (edited April 22, 2001).]