Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

PLS HELP - will hypertech chip makea difference ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLS HELP - will hypertech chip makea difference ?

PLS HELP - will hypertech chip make a difference?
I talked to a mechanic who i work with at the wild animal park ( we service all vehicles in house ) about why my car doesn't start everytime. he said that since i've replaced the whole ignition sys, cleaned the injectors, and the starter isn't suffering from heat soak then it's either

- me needing to replace sensors that tell the engine how much fuel and air it gets based on the registered temperature

or

- a matter of needing an aftrmrkt chip since i have a hot cam & TES headers and other fun stuff

Has anyone else had that fix a hot start problem ? my car starts great when it's cold but if it's been running then i have to let it cool down for 15-20 minutes or it just cranks and cranks and cranks but never catches ... no fuel going into engine basically =/

any help is appreciated :hail: ... a lot
Old 07-13-2002, 08:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: "02 z-28
Engine: LS-1
Transmission: 4L60E
To answer your first question aftermarket IC's never correct an engine problem. Hypertech would not be my first choice anyway. Can you determine whether you have no spark? Is your fuel system holding pressure. You will probably need to get a fuel pressure meter and check pressure at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail when it won't start. On TPI models 40-45lbs. is about normal with stock pump. If pressure is low or not coming up suspect a faulty fuel pump relay. If your fuel system is leaky(pressure wise) then it has to prime every time you start. Stupid things like old gas caps, leaky fuel vapor recovery can cause the need for constant priming of the system, and if the fuel pump relay is acting up then the engine needs cranking to get 5psi. oil pressure to close the secondary fuel pump switch on the oil sender which will then turn on the pump. A tip on aftermarket chips, Fastchip is probably the best overall but generally unless you are looking at tenths of a second they are a total waste of money.
Old 07-14-2002, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's what i've found out so far

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=118697

any further help would be great though