Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

wiring cost

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring cost

I am currently trying to rewire my car on my own. I bought a used harness (actually all of the harnesses in the car) from thirdgenresources. Now this was out of a 92 RS, manual, TBI. I have a 90 RS, manual, TBI. Now theoretically this should work fine. However there are a whole bunch of extra plugs on the enginebay wiring harnes. Is this normal.

THE REAL POINT. ok that was me trying to get help. Now if I can't pull this off, how much would it cost to have a professional redo the wiring, even if just in the engine bay. Anyone have their wiring redone?
Old 07-09-2002, 06:35 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
At the least, you could get a Haynes manual from any major autoparts store. While they do suck pretty bad, they are good for a few general things. One of them being the have general ECM wiring diagrams for MPFI, TPI & TBI. This, at the very least, will let you chase wire colors & let you know what is what & where it goes. (or you complain enough & someone could be nice & scan them for you..)

With a few basic diagrams and alot of patience, rewiring isn't all that rough. To pay someone would depend on their skill level, the dumber they are, the more $$/hr it's gonna cost you.

If an idiot such as myself can put 2 camaro harness ('86 & '85), a gta harness/ecm/tpi ('88) & a steering column from a camaro ('84) in a '72 chevy truck and get 95% of it to work (not done splitting wires yet), I would bet with a little persistance you can figure it out. Plus it's much more fufilling to say you figured it out
Attached Thumbnails wiring cost-image1.jpg  
Old 07-09-2002, 08:37 PM

Yeah I have the both a haynes and chiltons but i'm just getting flustered I guess. Seems like I just keep finding more and more problems. I'll go study the diagrams some more and the old harness for tomorrows attempt at it. Wish I was getting paid by the hour for this
Old 07-09-2002, 09:25 PM

I know the feeling

I'm not much of an electrical wiz myself but I have to agree with
Deadbird. It's better to do it yourself.
It seems overwhelming at first but with ALOT of passience, a little luck, and a bit of help I'm sure it will be fine.

As to your question, I'm sure there are going to be extra plugs. It seems everytime I look under the hodd of my 84 Z-28 I find something not connected. I even found a few melted.
There probably for the iroc, or z-28 options, or options you don't have.
Just keep trying and I'm sure you will succeeed.
Besides A profesional LOVES to charge you more when they have to finish something you started.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:16 AM

When I rewired my car I would have never been able to do it without the factory repair manual. This is the one from GM thats a couple inches thick. But it gives you the details about everything. I picked mine up at a swap meet for like $45.
I also found a repair manual supplement. This is just the wiring diagrams and info about the wiring. I got that for $20 off ebay.
And mine is an 87 so I cant just scan what you need, sorry.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:31 AM

Car: 88 ext.longbed 1/2 ton
Engine: TPI 350
Transmission: Slushbox 400
Man haynes and chiltons suck. I get the factory manuals from the local library that way you don't have any more money to spend and they are always available.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:54 PM

Car: '92 RS Camaro
Engine: 406ci D1SC SBC
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 9" W/Truetrac
On a previous post of mine called "complete rewire of engine bay",some kind chap has put a web adress for some good wiring diagrams.I'm personally wiring mine from complete scratch as the car has a carb,no A/C no smog etc.It's easier to make my own wiring loom rather than trying to butcher the original mess.The haynes manuals wiring diagrams aren't THAT bad if you know how to read them.