Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Plans for radar jammer

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plans for radar jammer

Does anyone have plans for an active radar jammer that also includes the K and Ka bands? I know it is illegal to use one of these on your vehicle, but Im using it for "educational purposes only."

[This message has been edited by bigvic (edited March 26, 2001).]
Old 03-27-2001, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Z28; Dk Teal; Her Pkg
Engine: 305
Transmission: Richmond 6 Spd
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", Detroit Locker, 3.70
Popular Electronics had the plans to build one in one of their issues, back in the early 80's. Microfiche @ the library would be your best bet to find it.....

Tim
Old 03-27-2001, 03:57 PM

I would suppose its nothing much more than building a transmitter that broadcasts over a wide area of the radar band that the piggies all use. Maybe you could make it to produce a type of white noise to just render the radar gun useless instead of it recieving whacked signals. The trick would be getting ahold of a radar gun to test it against so you can fine tune and see exactly how much transmitting power you should use...

But if a cop SEES that your obviously speeding and isnt getting a signal,I'm sure the officer will figure something is up,and when he pulls you over,your not only in deep with him,but the FCC as well for illegal broadcasting without a license for the use of the band

Keep in mind I've never attempted this and I do not advocate or endorse the use of these devices. My .02 worth should be looked at with educational purposes only as your intentions. Keep in mind that you could be fined as well as jailed for the construction and use of these highly illegal devices.

I just HAD to get that disclaimer in there. Really though,I'd be curious how the science project works out,so be sure to keep me updated by email.
Old 03-28-2001, 12:04 AM

Tim Just a Question

Would it be possible to make a Jammer that would Let you decide what MPH the Cop would see?
Old 03-28-2001, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula / 09 G8
Engine: LS1 / LS3
Transmission: M6 / M6
Axle/Gears: 3:42 / 3:27
There was a kid in my high school that was an electronic wiz. He discovered that if you took the emitter from a microwave it would mess up the radar. He made a cone around the tip and mounted it in the front of his car. The only downside was that it would show him going fast when he was doing the limit, and slow when he was speeding.
Old 03-28-2001, 01:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Z28; Dk Teal; Her Pkg
Engine: 305
Transmission: Richmond 6 Spd
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", Detroit Locker, 3.70
The design article in Popular Electronics was actually a radar gun calibrator, which has an adjustible speed selector.

I would not recommend using a Magnetron unit out of a microwave oven - that would be hazardous to your health........There is a reason that a microwave oven incorporates an RF tight enclosure with multiple interlocks on the door.

Tim
Old 03-28-2001, 08:38 PM

i would strongly recomend you do not use a micrwave magnetron.first they run of 2400 vac, doubled. This WILL KILL YOU. there are also compents in the microwave that can hold lethal charges even when the unit has been un-pluged for days.It would be near impossible to power one from a car anyways. Also the fcc would catch on quickly and you would be in deep sh#t.it is also extremely dangerous. Who ever did this is a moron and will probably kill himself in a few years. in short, don't mess with rf unless you are licensed and know what you are doing (engineering degree).Do yourself a favour. Spend $80, and by one. it will be better than anything you could build, you will get in less trouble with the law, you don't need to know electronics, and if you want to know how it works you can even take it apart!!
Old 03-28-2001, 09:06 PM

Well, I do have my engineering degree and I know what I'm doing, but I have never built one of these before. I've seen the plans for sell on the net for twenty bucks, but with paying back my student loans and all, I wanted to see if I could get the wiring schematic and parts list for free from one of you before I dish out a Jackson note.

Don't worry though, I won't be scavenging parts from my microwave to do this little science project.
Old 03-28-2001, 09:33 PM

Car: 84 T/A
Engine: 305HOL69
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Years ago Radio Shack made this thing that plugged into your lighter, it was a silver rectangular box and you'd put a hot dog in it to cook while driving (only Radio Shack)
It also emitted a signal that jammed up police radar!! Imagine getting stopped with that thing.....
"Driver, hand over that jammer, you're under arrest!"
"Whad'ya mean?! I'm cookin' a hot dog!!"

DR
Old 03-28-2001, 09:44 PM

that message was not meant just for you, but all the do it your-self save a buck idiots out there. I think I can help you out. I will try to e-mail you a schematic for a simple detector. for educational purposes only, I am not responsible for anything you do. Also, do not e-mail me for schematics.
ps. what school did you go to?
Old 03-28-2001, 09:59 PM

http://www.uslink.net/~cybercir/cir2.htm

Old 03-29-2001, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a thought carbon fiber lets radar and laser slide over its surface. I saw a vett on some tv gearhead show that was invisible to radar and laser all carbon fiber but it cost an additional 200,000$ so a grand total of 290,000$ "maybe if i won the power ball"
there are also schematics in the jolly roger cookbook for jammers

[This message has been edited by SUPER-SPORT-CHEVY (edited March 29, 2001).]
Old 03-29-2001, 09:11 PM

bk1711,

Thanks, I appreciate the schematic page, but I don't it's exactly what Im looking for.

I also know what you meant by your post, but I thought I would just mention my degree because I just graduated in December, and Im very proud of it (although I don't think I will ever pay off the loans). Sorry if I sounded conceded, I didn't mean it like that. Anyways, I went to school at Tarleton State U. It is a branch of Texas A&M if that helps you out. Anyways thanks again.
Old 03-29-2001, 11:07 PM

Another consideration to think about as far as radar jammers go is that the police can usually tell when someone is intentionally messing with a radar signal. Also, do you think that they're stupid? If you're on a road that has a speed limit of say 45 and you come charging through at 55 or 60 the cop isn't going to look at his gun and say "Gee I didn't get a reading-better let that one go!" Likewise if you're on the highway and he comes up behind you and paces you the box of wires you bought for $80 isn't going to do you a damn bit of good. Also about the Vette with the carbon fiber skin-what did the guy do about the windows?...auto glass is an excellent radio wave reflecter.

Later,

Matthew
Old 03-29-2001, 11:23 PM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
I heard of plexiglass substitutes for the vette windows...it shaves almost 100lbs or something like that off the car...as far as if that lets radar and laser bounce off it, i have no idea...

------------------
1986 5.0 TPI Trans Am
Random Tech Cat
Two Chamber Flowmaster Muffler
Megs Custom 4.5" Stainless Steel Tips
1999 Grand Am GT In-Dash CD Player w/Equalizer(fits like '86 original)
5% Tint On Rear, 35% On Sides
Old 03-30-2001, 07:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you bk1711 for mentioning how dangerous it is to F___ with microwave components!! You can build "ray guns" out of those things that'll set stuff on fire from a distance, so no way would i want any of it inside my metal car! Also agreeing with MatthewH, a jammer is easily detected BUT in some states they are actually somehow legal. I've heard about freinds-of-freinds who've actually had them work, as long as you have the active jamming kind. A cop with a good eye can usually tell how fast your going just by looking, but that won't hold up in court, gotta have a radar or pace reading. But i've been itching to try one of these things honestly. I've also seen plate covers at http://www.ontrackcorp.com/ that claim to make it harder for cops to get a good signal on you since your plate is the most radar-reflective thing on your car. Anyone think/know if this would be true? Or am i just a sucker for beliving them?

------------------
88 Base Camaro
305 Auto
All Stock....for now
Old 03-31-2001, 08:11 PM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, some of them actually are stupid enough to trust their radar gun. I was going 45 down the highway the other day in the fog and some jackhole idiot pulled me over and said he tagged me twice and I was going 65. I think any normal person can visually tell the difference between 45 and 65, not to mention radar is severly limited in the fog.

As for your project, good luck and hope you learn from it. I wouldn't do it even if I knew how.
Old 04-01-2001, 07:02 PM
Banned

I made a few of what you are looking for years ago. They were for a few cannon ball runners. It used a modified GM speedo to reference the vehicle speed. No matter how fast you were going, the cop always saw 55 Mph on his radar.

These are very illegal. You WILL go to jail for using one. I will not show you how to make it, But I will tell you if you do, be sure to erase every part number off of every
IC and transistor. Have a reverse polarity switch to fry the unit before it gets found.
-12v to an ic's 5v input will do it every time.
These kind of units are not for everyday use.
They are only going to keep you from going to jail for going WAY over the speed limit.
A cop cannot rely on his professional judgment for very high speeds. He is trained for 10-20 mph over the limit.

Don't even think about using stuff from a Microwave oven. At the very LEAST you will go blind from accidental exposure. 2.1 gig is where water resonates. You have been warned.