Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Placement of radar detectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Placement of radar detectors

I got a radar dectector and the instructions says to place it on the window under the mirror, but nothing about on the dash. If I place it on the dash, will it affect anything or not detect something? It *looks* like when its on the dash that nothing is blocking it.
Old 03-09-2001, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a reason they tell you to place it there... because of laser. Nowadays w/ lots of people w/o front liscence plates the favorite place for laser is the rear view mirror... on a 4th gen w/o a front plate that is about the only place that will bounce the laser back. I have mine placed about 2 inches above my dash, suctioned to the window. I like the way it looks there and it seems to do fine w/ laser. Basically you don't want it directly on your dash because of angles... but it should work okay there if that is where you like it.
Old 03-09-2001, 03:05 PM

Car: Firebird SSA
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: 700R4
Mine is placed between the overhead console and the rear view mirror. Like the placement there because its kinda hidden and out of the way. It works for me in that location.
Old 03-09-2001, 03:13 PM

The reason I wanted it on the dash is because it has a powercord and I hate the way it hangs down, while its on the dash it doesnt really distract me. I had it for 2 days now and I only twice got a reading, but saw no cops so I dont know if this will be a bad spot or not cuz I didnt see any cops any of the times when it didnt go off.

btw its a uniden LDR 767
Old 03-09-2001, 03:46 PM
Banned

The lower the better. Don't worry about laser hitting you. . By the time you pick it up it's too late. The most it could do is alert you to where laser i used in your areaLucky for us active laser jammers are legal in the US and FCC approved. Around $200.

Place it lower because a lot of times cops get you when you are going over a hill. They tell you not to place it on the dash sometimes because a hood scoop or wipers get in the way. Laser has ALOT of weaknesses. Trust me, if every town used Laser it would be much easier to get around. Let me know if you want more info. I've been researching it for years.

------------------
91 Formula
305 TPI 5speed
1LE/G92/WS6

Paxton SN92 polished kit, SLP airfoil, ported/polished plenum, March pulleys, Crane AFPR(43psi),Crane Gold 1.6rrs,MSD coil,MSD6AL (5200rpm limit),Holley 9mm wires,Ac delco R43ts plugs,stock chip,Ford SVO 24# injectors,Bosch O2sensor,SLP 1 5/8" headers,SLP catback,shortened shifter,3:73s w/Auburn posi,170* t-stat,JET 195* fan switch, Macewen white face gauges, Autometer gauges, Zoom hi-performance clutch.

[This message has been edited by theformula (edited March 12, 2001).]
Old 03-09-2001, 04:19 PM

So what your saying is not to worry about picking up laser at all because when mine picks it up, the cop would have all ready picked up a reading? Mine isnt a jammer. Just worry about picking up radar?

Im kinda new at this. The other day I got a ticket because while I passed a salt truck he got me doing 57 in a 45 zone.
Old 03-09-2001, 07:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 camaro rs convertable
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 7.5"3.42 gears forth gen 2000 camar
its like an antenna,higher the better.i hardwired mine,ran the wire up the driver side piller,hooked it up to the fusebox so its only on when the engine is on
Old 03-09-2001, 08:55 PM

Car: Firebird SSA
Engine: 3.1
I did the same thing like zenish.
Old 03-09-2001, 10:06 PM

How did you do that? What did you use for an antenna?
Old 03-10-2001, 12:57 PM
Banned

For atennas, the higher the better yes. For radar detectors, it is not the same. You have to remember, radar is coming from a radar gun, not a radio tower.

Anyway, you could of beaten that ticket you just got. Since you were passing a truck, radar picks up larger metal objects first. Your argument? He got the truck, not you.

Yes, laser detectors are useless. Once you've detected it, it's too late. The laser beam is only a meter wide, and will not spread all over the place like radar does.

But, like I said. Laser has it's weaknesses. The operator has to be dead steady while shooting the laser, and he has to be still. Which means they won't be able to use it while driving....like they can with radar. They cannot use laser is poor weather conditions either, and they have to be OUTSIDE of the car. The windshield bends the laser beam.

This is one of the reasons laser is so easy to defeat. Another...active laser jammers constantly transmit a "signal" to "scramble" a laser gun. Best of all, they are legal because they will not interfere with Aircraft radar.

Passive radar Jammers do not work. Active radar jammers do. But they are illegal because THEY DO interfere with aircraft radar. But rest assured, you can run an active radar jammer and the cops will never know.

To most people, the price for a laser jammer ($250) and a radar jammer active ($600) seems like too much. But when you add up the cost of tickets and insurance rates....it does'nt seem so bad.

------------------
91 Formula
305 TPI 5speed
1LE/G92/WS6

Paxton SN92 polished kit, SLP airfoil, ported/polished plenum, March pulleys, Crane AFPR(43psi),Crane Gold 1.6rrs,MSD coil,MSD6AL (5200rpm limit),Holley 9mm wires,Ac delco R43ts plugs,stock chip,Ford SVO 24# injectors,Bosch O2sensor,SLP 1 5/8" headers,SLP catback,shortened shifter,3:73s w/Auburn posi,170* t-stat,JET 195* fan switch, Macewen white face gauges, Autometer gauges, Zoom hi-performance clutch.
Old 03-10-2001, 11:19 PM

Thanks a lot youv been a big help. I just have two more questions.

First, below is a picture of it on my dash. Does this look like a bad spot? It doesn’t look like anything is blocking it.

Second, how often does yours go off? I got mine on Wednesday and mine hardly goes off. Am I being impatient and cops don’t use radar that often, or do they use it a lot and mine just isn’t picking it up? I did some hway/cty driving and maybe im just being impatient. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2001, 11:55 PM
Banned

Perfect spot.

If you've never owned a detector before, it will take some getting used to. I have to say, 60% of the time it goes off, it will be false. You will start getting accustomed to where the false warnings occur. X band is sensitive, and is also 80& of the time false. A lot of businesses and banks use security systems that operate on X band. Therefore, when you drive by that particular bank or store, you will more than likely get a "beep beep" from your radar detector.
Some security sytems even operate on K band.

However, some police agencies still use X band effectively . Very few though. K band is also a widely used radar band as is KA band. There is something called "instant on". Basically, the radar gun won't be on the whole time the cop is monitoring speed. He turns it on (sometimes its automatic) when he needs to shoot someone. K and KA band both are used for "instant on" . It is the most difficult radar to avoid. Primarily because it hits you without warning. I however, have gotten a split second to react in some situations. That was probably the result of the cop shooting someone other than me. You'll know when it hits you, because it will be sudden and your detector will light up and say "PULSE". If the different bands sound confusing, read on.
There are 3 types of KA band. Ka, Ka wideband, and Ka superwideband. All are very similar, one just has a larger frequency than the next.

Now, I have noticed alot of "smaller" police agencies have Laser guns. My guess, is because that department soley relys on tickets to keep them funded. Also, if the town has only 2cars, it's less guns to by So be on the lookout going through small towns for this reason.
I also recommmend checking out www.speedtrap.com

Get familiarized with your area and where cops usually hide. Try to avoid racing or speeding in areas you know they lurk at. Don't speed in residential areas and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check your rear view mirror.

Why do I tell you to check the mirrors?
Because there is another way cops can get you, WITHOUT using radar. It's called pacing. The cop follows you in his car and judges YOUR speed, by his speedometer. There is also VASCAR. Which is when they are in a chopper, and measure how fast you cross "point A, to point b". You get my point.
Well I hope I've answered some of your questions and future questions.

[This message has been edited by theformula (edited March 10, 2001).]
Old 03-11-2001, 12:10 AM

Yes you answered all my questions thanks. I havent owned one before or actually ever seen one being used in a car for that matter. I got it as kinda a novilty item, but Im getting use to it. Thanks again
Old 03-11-2001, 01:29 AM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
I'm confused with the lower is better idea. How radar isn't the same as a radio frequency and blah blah. It's still a frequency and if you want to pick it up doesn't that just mean you want your detector where it can "catch" from all angles? I have mine hard wired, it's just below my rear view. It's in perfect position, always goes off. Can somebody realy post some official info that says to place as low as possible? Thanks

------------------
, Jon (91 RS too many mods to list)
Old 03-11-2001, 11:34 AM
Banned

Jon, I'm going by what the manual of my Whistler said. They tell you to place the detector low for 2 reasons.

1. Laser is pointed at the front bumper of your car always.

2. When you are coming down from a hill, or going over one...you will pick up the radar faster if the radar detector is mounted lower.
Heres my reason for lower: If the radar detector is mounted high (behind rear view mirror), it is difficult or impossible to view while driving. Identifying which band of radar you are being hit with is very important. It can help you decide which is false, which is not. The number of bars lit up on the detector can also let you know the approximate distance of the police officer.

I don't know if any of this info is strong enough to support my theory of "lower is better", but it does appear that lower has it's advantages over higher.

Another reason I don't like higher, sunlight seems to get to the detector when it's higher up for some reason. I don't have any proof to verify this with. But since all laser is are beams of light, the detector will false a lot giving off "laser alert". Like I said, I haven't verified a "higher" mounting position is causing this....but it does appear to aggraviate the problem. If I find that manual again, I'll type the exact words.

Old 03-11-2001, 06:38 PM
Jza

Unless you have a front plate, the other place laser can really tag you is your headlights.

I used a detector on the left side of the dash for years with much success. Couldn't anymore, because the last one I got had a compass and the left dash speaker interfered with it. The EM field in the mirror also interfered with it.

My first choice is on the left end of the dash, and second choice is at the top of the windshield right above your head. Two very unnoticable places for them.

Also, if you get tired of the cord hanging down to the lighter, you could hardwire it.
Old 03-11-2001, 07:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 camaro rs convertable
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 7.5"3.42 gears forth gen 2000 camar
when you and the cop are on opposite sides of a hill,the higher the detecter is,the sooner you get a warning.the way to use a detecter is to ride about a half mile behind a speeder so when the cop clocks him your warned
Old 03-12-2001, 02:37 AM

theformula: I didn't say I had it behind the mirror. I have it just below so it's in perfect vision since I look at the rear view mirror anyways. I'll post a picture next week when I am reunited with my car for the first time in 6 months (school sucks).
As for the false laser alarm, I've never gotten this and I never will. The radar detector should be able to distinguish the difference between light and laser beams. Laser is not part of the spectrum emitted from the sun. Another thing about laser...who cares if you detect it? It's already too late and that's a fact. If you get tagged you're out. Good so you know not to go any faster or the ticket is going to be even more $$$. I have the radar detector hardwired with the engine on and it works great. I bought it for my trips from Ohio State university to Princeton NJ (home). The first day I used it I picked up 5 cops. Most on the Penn turnpike. I thought it funny that I had a string of traffic behind me, they all knew I had a radar detector so they played follow the leader for most of my drive.

------------------
Old 03-12-2001, 03:50 AM

I suction cupped mine to the windshield just above/to-the-right of my rearview mirror. I lengthed the power cord and ran it along the top of the window, down the pillar, and under the dash to hide the wire.

I can see it just fine and, even if I couldn't, mine makes a different noise depending on what type of radar it has detected.

WHY NOT MOUNT IT ON THE DASH? Because anybody walking past your car can easily see it. If they don't see it, then the thought of stealing it will never occur to them. If you mount it high and hide the wire, then most people will never even know that you have one.
Old 03-12-2001, 02:02 PM
Banned

Jprevost, I hate to disagree with you, but I am positive the sun can trick your detector into giving a false laser alert. I have owned several detectors over the years, and all have done it on certain sunny days. Whistler techs I have spoken too have agreed. Your laser detector doesn't know the difference. Hell, all of my radar detectors even go off when I drive by the air force base. Here is the definition of laser, see if you can pick up a keyword.

Laser-"a device that utilizes the natural oscillations of atoms or molecules between energy levels for generating coherent electromagnetic radiation usually in the ultraviolet, visible, or infrared regions of the spectrum"

And yes, laser detectors do have some use. They alert you to what a particular police agency uses. If you know a town you regularily drive through uses laser, you'd be less likely to speed through there again wouldn't you! Also, some laser jammers do not have laser detectors.

Belker, to respond to your statement of placing the detector on the dash...That is why you remove your detector and store it somewhere in your vehicle or bring it with you! If you own a Whistler, they slide right off the windshield bracket. The top end Whistlers are some of the best. Top end Unidens are pretty decent too. They actually tested close to the Valentine one in laser detection. Valentine one 10,300ft, Uniden 10,500ft.

Belker , you also said :"I can see it just fine and, even if I couldn't, mine makes a different noise depending on what type of radar it has detected."

Sorry but that is not good enough. You still cannot see the amount of bars illuminated . Honestly, have you really familiarized yourself with the different sounds X, K, KA makes? What if you're listening to music loud and all you here is beep. What then? Another advantage Whistler has, LOUD VOLUME.

I am not trying to argue with you guys. I'm trying to give you some good advice here. LISTEN!

[This message has been edited by theformula (edited March 12, 2001).]
Old 03-12-2001, 08:52 PM

Hey guys not all squad cars have radar/laser capablities. only the traffic cops, not the patrol cops. but yes all state troopers and sheriffs deputies do have the guns.
that is why most of the time in town cops dont set off your detector. and there are detector/scramblers that put a license plate frame around your LP, it has a computer chip in it that sets off your detector, and also scrambles the signal, and if you get a ticket they will pay it for you.
i dont have a detector. i wish i did. i probably wouldnt have been pulled over 11 times if did have one would i? oh well.. i will deal with it.

------------------
Jarrad
1990 IROC-Z L98 350 TPI
TH-700R4
G92- 7.5" 10 Bolt 3.23gears
Bright Red Hardtop/ Grey Custom Interior
5,507 IROC's; 2,415 5.7L IROC's Produced in 1990

DAILY DRIVER: 1991 S10 2.5L/5SPD WITH CAMARO RIMS
Old 03-12-2001, 08:59 PM
Banned

Not all, but MOST do. The reason you may not pick it up is because they do not have their radar gun on .

I don't understand why more people don't use radar detectors. Especially with high performance cars. I cannot count the amount of times it has saved me.
Old 03-13-2001, 03:36 AM

theformula, You've got mail! (in my best aol voice)
To defend my idea about laser/radar detector placement:
One point I'd like to make about radar detectors is how higher in our cars is probably better. Radar detectors with rear pickup need to be able to see through the rear window and having a body, head rest, spoiler in the way isn't going to help it any.
I did make the comment about laser not being part of the same spectrum emitted from the sun and that was too general. What I meant to say is how sunlight shouldn't set off a detector because of the specific wavelength. Detectors were designed not to be effected by sunlight.
The following is some stuff that might interest you:
Most laser detectors react to Wavelength of 905 ± 10 nanometers (nm). You highlight ultraviolet, why? 905nm +/- 10 is the beyond visual (red) and the beginning of infrared. The 905 +/- 10 nm is from Whistlers techs I just got off the phone.http://www.radar.co.nz/usa/usechofaqs.html
It is also a fact that laser isn't good at night because of the headlamps (this is fact not opinion). This makes me want to believe that laser is used mostly during the day for obvious reasons. Would be kind of funny if the laser guns weren't designed to take the sun into consideration .
Another good link:
http://www.realbig.com/miata/miata/1994-09/691.html
I don't want to flame but I have to defend my position. I know why lower is usually said to be better. It's for the laser detection. The laser is aimed low and from 100yards the beam is only 12" wide. Another reason to mount lower is because of the tint, not only does it block UV but it also filters infrared to an extent. Also the angle of the glass is a big reason. Glass, chrome, headlamps and shiny stuff reflect light/infrared/laser. At the base of most windshields is where the laser wouldn't be as refracted from the detector. I hope this helps everybody understand how laser works and how it's next to impossible to be saved from a laser detection. Radar is more important, if you're worried about laser I recommend a license plate mounted laser jammer. They are legal and WORK. If your state doesn't require you to have a front plate then you are pretty much in the clear unless the cop gets you from behind. They DO NOT aim at the side of a car or vehicle because by law they are supposed to be at a specific angle from the front of your vehicle.
I'm not saying the sun doesn't emit infrared because then I would just be so stupid. Infrared is heat.
I'm thinking that the radar detector might go off if you have it aimed straight up into the ski when the sun is at highest and where the pickup is exposed (no glass). From all the designs I've seen there is no reason for a good laser detector to go off. When the sun comes down to the laser detectors angle it's infrared is refracted further away from the detector not to mention the fact that the atmosphere refracts the majority.
If you could find more information that says they do then please post it, I would be very interested.
One more point about laser is how it is actually picked up by the detector. The detector recognizes a certain rhythm effect from the gun and that is how it is programmed not to be false alarmed by a constant low strength wavelength.
------------------

[This message has been edited by JPrevost (edited March 13, 2001).]
Old 03-13-2001, 04:47 AM

By the way, that www.speedtrap.com is a cool site. I like it a lot.

------------------
Old 03-13-2001, 12:05 PM
Banned

You're right, detectors were designed to be not set off by the sun. BUT THEY STILL GO OFF SOMETIMES. I didn't say mine went off on every sunny day, I said on SOME sunny days.
I finally put 2 and 2 together after talking to several individuals about how the sun was responsible. Hell, even police officers have trouble using laser on VERY sunny days (yes I've talked to officers)
My detector is one of the top tested models by Car And Driver, so quality is not an issue.

Jprevost wrote :"One point I'd like to make about radar detectors is how higher in our cars is probably better. Radar detectors with rear pickup need to be able to see through the rear window and having a body, head rest, spoiler in the way isn't going to help it any."

Not true. First of all, the "rear pickup" you speak of is usually titled "360 laser protection." It is false advertising. Why? Because laser is never shot at you as you are moving away from the operator. It gives inaccurate readings this way. It is shot from the front.

Furthermore, even if that rear antenna was for "radar", the results would be minimal.
In any case, it would be able to sort out "weaker" signals (10.5-36.0 GHz)and probably alert you no sooner(ok, well maybe milliseconds) than a detector without rear radar pickup.

I should state though there is one detector that does have TRUE rear pickup. That is the Valentine one. But they are over $400 dollars so very few of us here probably own one. Even if someone did, you wouldn't notice much difference in sensitivity than a standard detector. And to put a cherry on top of everything, A LOT of people have at least their rear window tinted on our cars. This cuts radar reception sensitivity by 95% from the rear. Which means if you own one of those $400 V1s, you'll have to rely on radar bouncing on objects in front of you (which it most definitely will). But like I said, the difference will be VERY minimal.

[This message has been edited by theformula (edited March 13, 2001).]
Old 03-13-2001, 05:38 PM

And did I say that I didn't have the V1? I got it for $320 from my friends father who didn't want to have to upgrade it. One more thing about putting it up high no matter what radar detector you have: People won't see it and you can leave it in the car. When I had my old Bel 860 or something I had it installed up high just below the rear view. My car was broken into and the stereo was stolen, my detector was left, go figure. It was a $140 unit at the time and my head unit was maybe $200. The guy didn't see it obviously. I was in Best Buy for about a half hour to buy linux Mandrake, not worth the $5 .
One of my best friends has a 01 Jetta 1.8T and he got the top of the line Bel, the remote placement unit. That also picks up rear radar. Another thing about the "360" and how most detectors don't have it, that is false. They do pick up radar from the rear, just not as well as say the V1. I've had better luck with placement of my detectors high than I have low. No false laser alarms ever and it's clean and out of the way visually.
theformula: You wrote "Because laser is never shot at you as you are moving away from the operator." That is a false statement.
Most radar detector don't have a rear laser pick up, I was talking about radar. The V1 does however and cops CAN get you from behind with laser. 90% of the time they get you from front but that 10% it is from rear.
About the 360 laser protection, that is usually false advertising but 360 radar isn't. They have pickup sensors aimed to the rear to pick up all angles of radar that might bounce off of the car infront or inback of you.
Notice how I said Radar detectors with rear pickup...I didn't say laser rear pickup. And YES most radar detectors pick up radar from the rear as well as the front. So higher is better in most cases UNLESS you mind having the detector going off on "SOME" sunny days and don't care for using the full potential of the RADAR detector. Get a laser jammer for you license plate if you're worried about laser.
theformula, you wrote ealier that laser detection is a good thing because it lets you know where they use laser and so you won't speed around there. That makes sense but I don't think the laser detector is going to help at all. When I get pulled over after being tagged by laser THEN I will know that they use laser...too late for detection. If I had a choice I would buy a better radar detector without laser just because the laser detection is just a "get out your drivers license and vehicle registration." I love the V1 but I don't think the laser is any help. My father has a 95 suburban and he has the laser jammer on his front plate. They WORK and do a great job of it, they send a high pulse rate which registers that the car is moving slow. The units usually come with an LED you mount in the dash somewhere. So as for laser detection in radar detectors...I think it's worthless and not worth getting false warnings from the sun. Just get a laser jammer and a radar detector and you're set.

------------------
Old 03-13-2001, 08:00 PM

Who makes a good front plate laser jammer?

------------------
1989 IROC-Z 5.7L
Old 03-13-2001, 09:05 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JPrevost:
And did I say that I didn't have the V1? I got it for $320 from my friends father who didn't want to have to upgrade it. One more thing about putting it up high no matter what radar detector you have: People won't see it and you can leave it in the car. When I had my old Bel 860 or something I had it installed up high just below the rear view. My car was broken into and the stereo was stolen, my detector was left, go figure. It was a $140 unit at the time and my head unit was maybe $200. The guy didn't see it obviously. </quote>

That is why you take it down and hide it out of sight when you exit the car. First rule of theft protection, DO NOT SHOW YOUR VALUABLES!

<quote> Another thing about the "360" and how most detectors don't have it, that is false. They do pick up radar from the rear, just not as well as say the V1. I've had better luck with placement of my detectors high than I have low. No false laser alarms ever and it's clean and out of the way visually.
theformula: You wrote "Because laser is never shot at you as you are moving away from the operator." That is a false statement.</quote>

Wanna bet? Not only are cops trained in some states to NOT shoot laser moving away, it is also a VERY inaccurate way. Trust me when I say this. I have spoken to SEVERAL police officers from different states and counties on these subjects. I have cops in the family, not to mention my brother works with 7 or 8 ex cops whom I discuss these matters with. In training, they are prohibited from using such tactics. Just like shooting the same car (at the same moment) more than once with radar. That is illegal in some states as well. Those laws are there to protect us from fully funding the police dept.

<quote>Most radar detector don't have a rear laser pick up, I was talking about radar.</quote>
Wrong again. 360*laser protection is what it usually says on the boxes. Just look at the detector. If it has one "eye" facing the rear it is laser. The rear radar would raise the price of the unit because it would have to pick up 10.5ghz-36ghz (x-KAsuperwideband). If "most" detectors came with rear radar pickup, they would not sell as low as they do ($59).

<quote>The V1 does however and cops CAN get you from behind with laser. 90% of the time they get you from front but that 10% it is from rear.
About the 360 laser protection, that is usually false advertising but 360 radar isn't. They have pickup sensors aimed to the rear to pick up all angles of radar that might bounce off of the car infront or inback of you.</quote>

Well if it bounces off the car in back of you, it's going to go further behind you....not towards you Rear radar detection is not really necessary. Radar bounces all over the place as it is, you can trust it will hit you no matter where it's aimed!

As far as the 90% front/ 10% rear of laser enforcement, I hope you didn't read that off the box of your dad's laser jamming plate. I have seen those false statements on plenty of "laser jamming" license plate covers. They just want you to buy another one for the rear.

<quote>Notice how I said Radar detectors with rear pickup...I didn't say laser rear pickup. And YES most radar detectors pick up radar from the rear as well as the front.</quote>
You need to look a little closer at the features of the detectors you are referring to. I'll say it again. . 360*laser protection is what it usually says on the boxes. If "most" detectors had the capability of rear radar, it would raise the price of the unit because it would have to pick up 10.5ghz-36ghz (x-KAsuperwideband). If "most" detectors came with rear radar pickup, they would not sell as low as they do ($59)

<quote>So higher is better in most cases UNLESS you mind having the detector going off on "SOME" sunny days and don't care for using the full potential of the RADAR detector. Get a laser jammer for you license plate if you're worried about laser.
theformula, you wrote ealier that laser detection is a good thing because it lets you know where they use laser and so you won't speed around there. That makes sense but I don't think the laser detector is going to help at all. When I get pulled over after being tagged by laser THEN I will know that they use laser...too late for detection.</quote>

Not really, if you have no laser detection on your detector, you won't be aware of what areas to stay clear of, and what are laser free territories. For instance, I know on 301 in Maryland, the cops use laser. So I don't even think about speeding there. I think it's good knowing what the "enemy" is equipped with. Knowing is half the battle :P

[This message has been edited by theformula (edited March 13, 2001).]
Old 03-14-2001, 04:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
I agree with Zenish... as far as I knew, radar detectors were always supposed to be aimed level with the horizon. As you're driving, when a cop first appears, it'll be on the horizon (unless he enters a highway next to you, and it's too late by then). Hopefully he's shooting, and that's when you get your warning to slow down.

Point the detector at the ground or the air (like in the picture), and you're getting your warning a bit late.

It makes no sense to aim the detector as low as possible at your license plate- why bother having a radar detector then? It's just going to say "Hey buddy, your plate just got shot, bummer." Point it at the horizon, get the early warning, and that's it.

Oh and yeah my laser detector will go off sometimes if I'm driving into the sun, or if I park in front of a neon store sign.

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!
Old 03-14-2001, 06:51 PM
Banned

<quote>Originally posted by TomP:

It makes no sense to aim the detector as low as possible at your license plate- why bother having a radar detector then? It's just going to say "Hey buddy, your plate just got shot, bummer." Point it at the horizon, get the early warning, and that's it.
</quote>

Radar is so huge you could have the detector sitting on the passenger seat facing the rear and it will still go off (yes I have done this as well). Radar GOES EVERYWHERE. The MAIN reason I recommend having it low is so you can identify the band of radar and how many bars are illuminated. Easier to sort out false alarms that way.

Those detectors with rear radar pickup only save milliseconds , as I've said in the past. The most IMPORTANT feature of a detector is it's sensitivity. The greater the sensitivity, the more chance you have of picking up radar from a stalker (KA/instant on) gun from a distance. It will usually result in PULSE across the detector, or 2 solid beeps.

<quote>Oh and yeah my laser detector will go off sometimes if I'm driving into the sun, or if I park in front of a neon store sign.</quote>

I get the same thing Tom. This is an interesting discussion.

[This message has been edited by theformula (edited March 14, 2001).]
Old 03-14-2001, 08:08 PM

i used to have a radar detector in my camaro. if you want to hide it do like i did, mount it with velcro on the das or wherever then i mounted another peice of velcro on the side of the instrument panal and under the dash pad......no one even knew it was there.

------------------
1991 RS LO3
mods: 14" chrome air cleaner, straight-piped after cat exhaust with one chrome dual tip on the left side.
future mods: headers, removing smog equipment, and as many cheap mods as i can find
aol s/n: budman8503

GONE MUSTANG HUNTING.......
BACK IN 10 SECONDS
Old 03-16-2001, 12:44 AM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by theformula:
The lower the better. Don't worry about laser hitting you. . By the time you pick it up it's too late. The most it could do is alert you to where laser i used in your areaLucky for us active laser jammers are legal in the US and FCC approved. Around $200.

Place it lower because a lot of times cops get you when you are going over a hill. They tell you not to place it on the dash sometimes because a hood scoop or wipers get in the way. Laser has ALOT of weaknesses.

</font>
Are you on crack?

Number 1, radar detectors are more effective at HIGHER locations as opposed to lower, although i like mine lower personally.

Number 2, he is right about the fact that once laser hits you, it's over. Laser is VERY effective, and narrower than radar. Your only chance of not getting caught is if the cop shoots a different car.

Number 3, laser jammers may be legal, but radar jammers definately aren't. According to the Federal Code of Regulations, jamming or attempting to jam a police radar gun is a federal felony punishable by fines up to $75,000 and one year in jail.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Trust me, if every town used Laser it would be much easier to get around. Let me know if you want more info. I've been researching it for years.
</font>
How do you figure that????? Sure, go ahead and send me more info. Email me. I'm interested to know how you think that laser is easier to get around.

------------------
Smile, you're in my rearview I'm joking, I have a v6.
See pics @ Billy's Firebird
92 Bird 3.1L Auto
Best $750 I ever spent....
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
Kills:
93 Mustang LX (Before Mods),98 or 99 Dodge Stratus (tough one, edged out at 40),
92 Camaro RS 305 TBI-Not too fair, his fuel pump went out 2 days later. Nice car, but not running right. 97+ Honda somethin or another...modded....kept at my door the entire way
Close Calls
94 Grand Am 3.1 V6, 92 Cavalier 3.1 V6
01 Porsche 911 Turbo (Had em till first gear)
Mods-Jet Stage 2 Performance Chip, Accel Cap/Rotor, Accel 8.8 MM Wires, Accell Coil, AC Delco Rapidfire Plugs, Dynomax Catback, K&N
AIM name OVRCLCK350
Old 03-16-2001, 01:53 AM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Are you on crack?
</font>
No, but I was a crack baby
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

Number 1, radar detectors are more effective at HIGHER locations as opposed to lower, although i like mine lower personally.
</font>
Really? Your tests revealed this? So why do you like yours lower than?
Radar is so big it goes everywhere. I've tested it several times with many detectors. You can have the detector in your middle console facing the rear and it will still go off.
Number 2, he is right about the fact that once laser hits you, it's over. Laser is VERY effective, and narrower than radar. Your only chance of not getting caught is if the cop shoots a different car.
</font>
Nope, you won't pick them up unless the laser is hitting your car. Laser is less than a meter wide and takes less than half a second to give a reading.
Number 3, laser jammers may be legal, but radar jammers definately aren't. According to the Federal Code of Regulations, jamming or attempting to jam a police radar gun is a federal felony punishable by fines up to $75,000 and one year in jail.
</font>
Who said anything about a radar jammer? I never did. Technically you are incorrect anyway. Passiver radar jammers are legal but most people find them ineffective. Active radar jammers are the ones illegal because they interfere with aircraft radar.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ovrclck350:
How do you figure that????? Sure, go ahead and send me more info. Email me. I'm interested to know how you think that laser is easier to get around.

</font>
#1. The operator has to be outside of the vehicle, dead steady hand or tripod is needed.

#2. Hard to use on sunny days , makes it more difficult to see the laser

#3. Plenty of laser jammers available, for the price of a good detector, that successfully jam laser.

Thank you, have a nice day.
Next?

[This message has been edited by theformula (edited March 16, 2001).]
Old 03-18-2001, 06:41 PM

Where can I get a laser and radar JAMMER? I know radar jammers are illegal (but I don't really care I will take the risk). If you prefer not to make this public please e-mail me at my private e-mail address hkurtz@home.com.

------------------
Karsten
86 IROC-ZZ4... too much to list.
Old 03-18-2001, 09:26 PM
Banned

Go here http://www.1-radar-laser-jammers-det...r-jammers.html

Whatever you buy, do not buy the Phantom made by Rocky mountain radar.
Be advised there is ANOTHER phantom jammer that actually works. But it is $600.

The rocky mountain radar jammer Phantom is $300 and DOES NOT WORK. Be aware there are 2 different PHANTOMS!

Now for the laser jammer, I recommend K40 for the laser jammer

[This message has been edited by theformula (edited March 18, 2001).]
Old 03-21-2001, 12:22 AM

most cops in ohio shoot laser from there car. they rest it on there rolled down window. they do not get out of there car. although weather plays a part in shooting range they use it in almost all types of weather.cops have noproblem seeing there targets through the view finder. yes they do have to aim very steady the farther the distance. cops most favorate aiming spot besides the license plate is the passenger headlamp. a headlamp will really reflect the laser back. also the v1 will save you more than a millisecond from radar from the rear. my v1 picks up cops on the highway about 2-3 miles behind me so they dont sneak up on me. a laser is about 4 feet wide at a thousand feet while rader is about 250 feet. and my v1 has saved me from a laser attack while the cop aimed at the car in front of me my detector went off before he shot me. but that doesnt happen in all cases.
Old 03-21-2001, 01:15 AM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chrisfrerick:
also the v1 will save you more than a millisecond from radar from the rear. my v1 picks up cops on the highway about 2-3 miles behind me so they dont sneak up on me.</font>

What is the basis of your comparison? If you have nothing else(no other detector) to compare it to, then your statement means nothing. Even if you did have another detector to compare it to....Several factors must be noted..and you must test both detectors at the same time. Exact distance of cop, straight road or curved road, frequency of radar being used etc.. My point is, you would of picked up that radar whether or not you had the "rear radar pick up". I hate repeating myself. RADAR BOUNCES EVERYWHERE. If you had a $49 Cobra detector without the "rear radar pickup", it would of still picked up the radar from the rear you speak of in the same SECOND your V1 did. The V1s advantage over other detectors is it's greater sensitivity. It can pick up the "weaker" signals, which other detectors probably wouldn't recognize as a threat (instant on). I've seen the tests. The V1 performs very well and is generally the best. But not by far. For example, the $189 Uniden detected laser from 10,500ft. While the V1 did it in 10,300ft. The sensitivity and selectivity of the V1 is superior to the other models though. The V1 is most useful in the KA band (as are most high end detectors). Why? Because KA is shot over such a short distance and is USUALLY used as "instant on". The V1 is more likely to pick up the "weak" signals from a stalker gun then the average detector would. But you'd be surprised, $140 detectors perform just as well or very close in many cases. My 1994 old whistler detects X and K band just as well as my $200 cobra and $180 Whistler 1670 do. But when it comes to KA band, the Whistler1670 usually gives me more than enough time to react before I get a full light up . Of course, that is only if the operator is using the KA in "instant on" mode. If he uses the stalker in regular mode, I can pick it up from further distances (I cannot give you the "exact" warning time I get, because that is impossible,to many factors) . So do you see. There are too many factors that take place to make the comments you made. I am not trying to flame in anyway so please do not take it as one.

[This message has been edited by theformula (edited March 21, 2001).]
Old 03-21-2001, 04:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6

Originally posted by TomP:

Radar is so huge you could have the detector sitting on the passenger seat facing the rear and it will still go off (yes I have done this as well). Radar GOES EVERYWHERE. The MAIN reason I recommend having it low is so you can identify the band of radar and how many bars are illuminated. Easier to sort out false alarms that way.[/B]</font>
Right, radar goes everywhere. That's one of the good reasons you can dispute it in court. Things like high-tension wires, radio towers, big electric transformers, heck- even neon signs (!) can interfere with a police's radar gun. But the higher you put it, aiming it at the horizon, is the faster you get your signal. The idea is you get the signal the fastest it comes out of the gun. You know, the whole "shortest distance between two points is a line" idea. Of course, I don't know if anybody's measured the time difference between low-mount & high-mount- but I'll grab any extra milliseconds I can!

Those detectors with rear radar pickup only save milliseconds , as I've said in the past. The most IMPORTANT feature of a detector is it's sensitivity. The greater the sensitivity, the more chance you have of picking up radar from a stalker (KA/instant on) gun from a distance. It will usually result in PULSE across the detector, or 2 solid beeps.</font>
I didn't mention a rear pickup; but the "greater sensitivity" does help my argument for detector placement up above!

Originally posted by TomP:
Oh and yeah my laser detector will go off sometimes if I'm driving into the sun, or if I park in front of a neon store sign.

I get the same thing Tom. This is an interesting discussion.</font>
You know what's weird, though? This is the same detector (Uniden! Love them!) that I've had for the past 4 or so years. It never used to do that! I don't know if the sun's becoming more radioactive, or if I never parked in front of neon signs before, or if something internal happened to the detector from all these years.

[edit] Just fixing all this double-quoting html mess!

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!

[This message has been edited by TomP (edited March 21, 2001).]
Old 04-01-2001, 01:29 AM

Just rememeber with laser...buy the time your detector goes off, you've already been clocked.

------------------
88 GTA Notchback
A4 / 350
Stock
** New User Name**

Kill List:
95 Mustang GT
88 Mustang GT
94? Impala (real close)
97 Dodge Neon
86 Corvette
2000 Prowler
And more Civic's then I can count. Why do they even bother?
Old 04-01-2001, 03:47 AM

I just got a reply about the false laser detection.
"The old ones did.
To day they are more selective due to software.
Scott

Jon wrote:

Jonathan Prevost(614)688-4281Columbus, Ohio and Princeton, New Jersey Do laser detectors (specifically ones built into radar detectors) get effected by the sun light? I've read somewhere that the laser detector will sometimes go off because of the sunlight. I did some research and the laser detectors work in the 905 +/- 10 nm which is right at the end of the visual spectrum and the beggining of infrared. How likely is it to get a false alarm from laser?Thanks and GREAT website, answered a lot of my questions., Jon"

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI!)
91 Red RS w/grey int, sq stereo (Alpine v12, kicker solo, MB quart premium etc)
  • Holley 670 TB unit w/ 1/2" spacer/adapter
  • Edelbrock RPM vortec intake
  • 350ho 330hp vortec crate motor
  • 8" harm. balancer
  • Stewart stage 2 water pump w/160 thermo
  • SLP tri-y headers to full 3"
  • Rebuilt trans w/ SLP shift kit
  • Centerline 16x8's all around
  • 36/24 mm sway bars
  • Full poly bushings, even motor mounts
  • SLP LCA and panhard
  • Alston SFCs