Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Alternator Power wire extremely hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator Power wire extremely hot

I just did a TBI to TPI conversion and just got it started. My main concern at the moment is the alternator power wire and alternator itself is getting untouchably hot (if left running longer it'd probably catch fire or just fry the wire). I have replaced all wires (alternator power, and voltage regulator plug - red wire and tan/white wire), and it's still getting hot. My friend and I have disconnected all wires and in every combination and as long as the power wire to the alternator is attached, it gets extremely hot.

My car is an 89 camaro 305 (vin E) manual tranny, we used a painless harness for the conversion. I just installed a new (not rebuilt) alternator, starter, and battery, all power wires / ground wires are brand new.

Diagrams I have looked at have been no help. I am down to converting the alternator to the one wire conversion.

If anyone has anything they have to offer in the matter before I go to the one wire conversion, please help.

Aaron
Old 07-08-2002, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 RS Camaro
Engine: 406ci D1SC SBC
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 9" W/Truetrac
As a basic rule,cables will get hot when the current they are carrying gets to or exceeds the current carrying capacity of the cable.The bigger the cable the more current it can carry,is the cable big enough?Loose connections can sometimes also cause this problem.If possible measure the current flowing through the cable(clamp on ammeter) and compare this value with the maximum rating for this particular size of cable(contact auto electrical suppliers for this info).Hope this comes across right.Good luck.