Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Car seems dead but battery is brand new!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 02:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Car seems dead but battery is brand new!!

I'm pretty much done with the engine swap to a 350 TBI (from 305) and we got everything put back together except for a few little things like the AIR system. It's a brand new Ultima Red top and it's putting out 12.59 volts from my multi meter. It's grounded and I checked that already. I then checked all my fuses, all good there. I have the avital avistart 6500 and it has a starter kill so I put that up to the battery like it was before and it worked fine since it's it's own brain so to speak. Even the remote start tried to work but engine didn't turn over for some reason. NON of the interior lights work, not even the headlamps come on. Nothing works, no windows, not even the power hatch so that's stuck up, I need help. I looked around and everything is plugged in except for the WOT sensor on the new TB and the "brown" wire for the distrib. I'm going to reconnect that if that has anything to do with it but I highly doubt it. The 91-92 air split isn't plugged in either, it's a nasty device that has two plugs going into the AIR plumbing then splits out to either side of the engine. I don't think that is it.
I'm starting to think that I have something wrong with the distribution block and/or the starter hook up. One of my dumb friends went under the car (shouldn't have let him) and took off the starter/solinoid wires without remembering where they went. Then he messed with the distribution block (positive).
Obviously it has something to do with the wires under the hood. I'm just trying to find a diagram that tells me where the wires go, I thought we did it right and yes the car is grounded.

------------------
, Jon (in process of installing new engine)
Old 03-29-2001, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a very similiar problem in a previous car, turned out that the solonoid wasn't connected right, and that kept everything from working (even the hazards). I couldn't track where the problem was, but a local auto-electric shop found it in less than an hour and only charged me $20. Money well spent if you ask me.