Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

STAY AWAY FROM JACOBS ELECTRONICS

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM JACOBS ELECTRONICS

Hey Fellas and Ladies,

I wanted to let everyone here know about the trouble I have been having with Jacobs Electronics. Their customer service is horrible! They do not care one bit about you the customer. I do not know how they stay in business with an attitude like that.
Let me give you a quick run down on what happened. My computer developed a problem and I sent it back to them. Two months later I finally got my broken ignition back. That in itself was a chore. I had been in contact with them quite a few times trying to figure out what was wrong with the system. And eveytime, I was told to "hold, that they had to go and see." This was after holding for 7-10min. They would come back and say "the tech is still working on it, we will give you a call when we know something." They would never call. I can accept that, but it would have been nice if they had not said that they were and then didn't. Finally, they figured out that the computer had a bad glitch in it and needed to be replaced. Fine, I ordered a new compuer, new wires, and wanted to get my coil exchanged (It has a free replacement lifetime warrenty). Two weeks later, my parts had not shown up. I called and they said the card number was invalid. They copied it down wrong and didn't bother to let me know. If I had not called I would still be waiting on my parts. I got that straight and they said they would ship my stuff out to me that day. Three days later I called to see if my stuff had shipped. It hadn't, it was conviently being shipped that day. I told the guy to canceal my order and he did, in such a way that he seemed almost happy to do so?? He just stopped a $300 order like he does it all the time and then asked if there was anything else he could do for me, if not thanks for callin??? Are you friggin kidding? There was no "sorry" for the delay or mix-up or any offer to drop shipping charges, nothing.
If any of you are thinking of purchasing an aftermarket ignition system, stay away from them. Any performance gains over a comperable system are negligible if present at all. Furthermore, it is not worth the headache and aggrevation if something goes wrong. Find a company that stands behind their product and treats their customers right. If any of you have any questions email me.

Thanks,
Patrick
91 Formula
91 Firebird
email: krazydiver@yahoo.com
Old 03-19-2001, 01:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: Can you say stroke?!?!
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Man, that sucks! I've never heard of that before. I've had my Jacob system for about 2 years now and everytime I call they are always willing to help me. Something must going on thier end of things cause that's BS. I'd give them a call back and ask to speak with somebody above customer service, maybe Dr. Jacobs himself. Give them HELL man! Peace.

------------------
'91 Z-28 5.7, SLP 1 3/4 headers, 4 inch Mufflex/Flowmaster cat back, gutted cats, Edelbrock intake, 8.5mm Jacob wires, MSD Blaster coil, S&W subframe setup, Jacob Pro Street Ignition, complete Kenwood system.
Old 03-19-2001, 03:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Z28; Dk Teal; Her Pkg
Engine: 305
Transmission: Richmond 6 Spd
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", Detroit Locker, 3.70
Bummer.......Willie & I have had no problems with Jacobs customer service - they have always been prompt & fair - I wonder what happened??

Tim
Old 03-20-2001, 11:07 AM

I just recieved an email from Jacobs apolagizing for their screw-up but it was followed by a message to not to try to steer people away from their business or legal ramifications could occur. Do you believe that?? Now I want to spread the word even more! Watch out for them!
Later,
Patrick M.
91 Formula
91 Firebird
Old 03-20-2001, 11:42 PM

Well, you just steered me away. Thanks for saving me some headaches.

------------------
1989 IROC-Z 5.7L
NOS 150HP kit
ProBuilt 700R4, PI Vigilante 2800 stall lockup
Baer Brakes 12" Sport System
Old 03-21-2001, 08:31 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 Firebird WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56
How did they find out about your post? A mole.. (this is exiting)

that really sux though. tell them to suck your freaking c*ck legal bullsh*t!

as long as you are telling the truth thats not slander. your opinion is 1st admendment.

PS i thought jacobs made some of the very BEST ignition products.......top dollar though.... maybe the surplus went to their heads... Overworked employees that don't get deserved pay increases become a little po'd and that could be the case. Once that happens the company usually folds in 3-7 years and a newbie co takes its place. New employees are 'infected' so firing has no effect (unless you fire EVERYBODY)

Ummm gunna go to sleep now...... (cant get used to 3rd shift.... 9:30am)

------------------
'88 Camaro RS 2.8L
'88 Formula 350 (Too many mods to list...)
Old 03-21-2001, 11:26 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: Can you say stroke?!?!
Transmission: 700-r4
That's right, if they are going to take legal actions for your opinions, then they need to take this action against every rag that does product reviews (SuperChevy, GMHP, HPChevy, CarCraft, etc..). They give their opinions of the products and I bet they don't hear about legal ramifications. They are afraid of you and the web. They know that word of mouth can destroy them. They also know that nothing can really be done about it but they are trying to induce fear in people for speaking their minds. Oh well.
Old 03-21-2001, 12:25 PM
Banned

krazydriver, thanks for the info. I am staying clear from them. I was actually getting ready to order some of their plug wires. I'd rather go with someone else.
These guys just don't realize, their attitude makes all the difference.

------------------
91 Formula
305 TPI 5speed
1LE/G92/WS6

Paxton 10# SN92 polished kit, Ford SVO 24#injectors, Crane AFPR,SLP airfoil, ported/polished plenum, March alt. pulley,Crane Gold 1.6rrs,MSD coil,MSD6AL (5400rpm limit),Holley 9mm wires,Ac delco R43ts plugs,stock chip,Bosch O2sensor,SLP 1 5/8" headers,SLP catback,shortened shifter,3:73s w/Auburn posi,180* t-stat,JET 195* fan switch, Macewen white face gauges, Autometer gauges, Zoom hi-performance clutch.
Old 03-21-2001, 01:12 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Let me help to put this issue in perspective. For every single product that's out there; I don't care if it's an aftermarket car part or a barbecue grill, not everyone will have the same experience. And not everyone will have a good experience. Generally for every nine satisfied customers, you'll get one that isn't (you get the picture).

Personally, I've had great experience with Jacobs Electronics and so have a number of my friends. This does not mean that you will, nor me the next time I call them with a problem. If I could list all the companies I've had one bad experience with, I would probably list every company I've done business with in my lifetime.

Bottom line: Just because one person had an awful experience does not mean that the company should be chastized and boycotted by others.

------------------
Willie

Supercharged 1987 305 IROC-Z, Daily-Driver, Emissions-Legal.
Paxton (6-psig): 12.57 @ 111 mph.
Paxton (6-psig) & 50-hp nitrous: 12.04 @ 114 mph.
ATI D1SC (10-psig): ?

http://willie.camaro-firebird.org/

1987 "20th Anniversary Commemorative Edition" Z28 Convertible -- Super Chevy Show Class Winner, 1998.

[This message has been edited by Willie (edited March 21, 2001).]
Old 03-22-2001, 01:51 AM

I agree completely with what Willie said, and i think everyone here understands that point. I was surprised to read that there was said trouble dealing with them. That said...

The fact that they came back and threatened with legal recourse because krazydiver informed us of his displeasure dealing with them is disturbing to say the least.

I would never do business with someone who feels the need to cover there poor cust. service with legal threats, no matter how good the product. That's just downright immoral. Everyone has bad days and bad dealings, but suck it up.

Just like the Ford/Firestone tire issue - don't point fingers, take it like a man and say, hey, there was a problem, we're aware of it, and we're doing everything we can to rectify the situation.

As far as Jacobs is concerned, i've only got one thing to say now - MSD! (yeah baby)

-Rich
Old 03-23-2001, 01:56 PM

Hey Fellas

Let me just say the I do in fact agree with Willie. Whether you are dealing with a good company or not you always run the risk of dealing with the one hungover guy in the place. This usually leads to unsatisfactory service. I accept that. The problem arises when the company doesn't do anything about the mishap. Adding to the problem, the company gives off a I don't give a damn attitude. That is what I have dealt with. Adding insult to injury, I have spent a good amount of money with them (close to $600 or more) and still recieved this treatment. Thats what really upsets me. Their last email simply stated: "Even monkeys fall out of trees." So, I am done with them.
You guys do what you like, but I felt that you needed to know. You all have helped me out plenty in the past, felt I would return the favor and try to save you some headaches and aggrevation. Talk to you all later.

Patrick
Old 03-23-2001, 02:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
"Even monkeys fall out of trees?" That doesn't make for an apologetic-sounding letter... sounds like they're telling you to "just deal with it."

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!
Old 03-24-2001, 12:15 AM

"Even monkeys fall out of trees?"

I wonder if they sub out there cust. support/service to Jegs?

-Rich
Old 03-25-2001, 09:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Take
Engine: Your
Transmission: Pick
I don't know what "legal ramificatons" they would be talking about. You telling us about your bad experience is like a protester outside of Capitol Hill. You are not steering anybody away. The people who were "steered" away, steered themselves away based apon a desicion they made themselves. You didn't "steer" anybody away, and there is nothing they can do to supress your opinion, as long as you keep it truthfull and clean.

------------------
If you live in Southeastern US, check us out!
South East Thirdgen

ASE Master Tech + L1
Savannah, GA

'87 Trans Am
S/D TPI retrofit including functional PassKey,
22# injectors,
Whatever chip I feel like burning,
JET AFPR, Ported Plenum,
TB Coolant Bypass, Custom Cold Air,
SSM SFC, KYB Shocks, Boxed LCAs, Wonder Bar,
8mm Accel wires,
Flowmaster Exhaust,