Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Wiring Trans Am Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 04:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89' T/A, 00' Firehawk
Engine: 406 Roller
Transmission: TH700R4 w/2800 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi
Wiring Trans Am Taillights

I know that theres a thread further down explaining in detail(and way out of my leauge) the way to wire trans am lights into a car that didnt have them. my question is this, in the thread below is the guy using the wiring harness from the trans am lights, or the exsisting harness in the car? the color of wires on my harness and the trans am harness are the same i believe. if i am thinking correctly, and i am probably not, arent the wires for the brake lights going to be the same for both, but with different locations for the bulbs? for example, if a tan wire in the factory harness goes to the tail/brake lights, wont it be the same on the trans am? like i said, electric work is not my thing. any help would be apprecitated, thanks.

------------------
Wide Open Till You See God...Then Brake
Old 03-18-2001, 08:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
The brake light wires are not used any longer for your brakes (except for the 3rd light)

Your turn signals become your brake lights. Use the same harness, just tape the brake lights off. OK so now you have it wired so your parking lights (brown) are to the dim side of the bulbs and the L+R turns are the bright side of the bulbs (on their respective side, don't tie them together)

Now after checking the parking and turns, you can tie in the brake lights. Remove the panel above the brake pedal to gain access to the switch. Probe the wires on the switch (ones for the tcc and has power on it when the brake is NOT applied... don't use this one)

Find the one that has +12 on it when the brake is on. OK

Find a flat connector that runs up into the steering column (to the turn signal switch/cruise control/ect) it has a flat connector. One of the terminals on the end is not used. Tie the +12v from the brake switch to this wire and your done! Make sure to use a heavy duty flasher or your light will flash irradically.

This is the diagram for the steering column switch. Tie it to terminal 17. Be careful the other side isn't used either. The connector is stamped with the "P" though.

[This message has been edited by JoelOl75 (edited March 18, 2001).]
Old 09-27-2013, 10:35 AM

Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 TPI modified
Transmission: 700R4 modified
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Wiring Trans Am Taillights

im having issues with my break lights. the 3rd break light under the fin works fine, but the 2 big lights (tail lights) will not light up. i thought about using a jumper wire from the 3rd light, (yellow wire), only wire that lights up when break pedal is pushed, but i have had no luck finding the right wire to jump to.

Joel, i have tried to open that link up but i have had no luck. there are about 15 wires in the wiring loom going to the tail lights, and i have no idea which one is the right one. this is the only thing i need to fix so as i can git my car inspected and drive it on the road. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Brake Time

Joel’s link is no longer available VIA PhotoPoint.

Using a voltmeter or test light
(the type for testing for voltage, not a continuity tester) probe both sides (one side at a time) of the STOP HAZ fuse.

Is there power on both sides?

If yes, probe the
light blue wire that does NOT have the
black stripe at the brake light switch.

Is there power there when you depress the pedal?

Also, defective or loose connector on the hazard switch can cause that problem.

Happy Racing!

If My Engine Has An Illegal Part, And The Inspector Doesn’t Hear It, Does It Make A Sound?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:35 PM

Re: Wiring Trans Am Taillights

Thank you, I'll try that. So far I have tried everything possible that I know of.

I wonder if I could run a jumper wire from the 3rd break light to a blinker light. Would that work?

I do have power to the yellow wire to the 3rd light when the break is pushed. What do you think?

Last edited by transamgta1Khp; 09-30-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added more
Old 10-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member

Brake Time

A jumper will allow the main brake lights to illuminate however you probably will have the issue of the turn signals stopping when the brake pedal is pressed.

However most likely the inspector won’t be pressing the brake when he is testing the signals.

Happy Racing!

If My Engine Has An Illegal Part, And The Inspector Doesn’t Hear It, Does It Make A Sound?

Old 10-01-2013, 06:01 PM

Re: Brake Time

Originally Posted by NINÅ
Joel’s link is no longer available VIA PhotoPoint.

Using a voltmeter or test light
(the type for testing for voltage, not a continuity tester) probe both sides (one side at a time) of the STOP HAZ fuse.

Is there power on both sides?

If yes, probe the
light blue wire that does NOT have the
black stripe at the brake light switch.

Is there power there when you depress the pedal?

Also, defective or loose connector on the hazard switch can cause that problem.

Happy Racing!

Ok, I checked the light blue wire with no black stripe, I have power when I press the break pedal. Also checked the stop/hazard fuse & I have power on both sides. Soooo…I'm back to square 1 again.

Anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Supreme Member

Brake Time

While keeping the brake pedal pressed, probe that blue wire where it enters the steering column and heads towards the hazard switch.

If there is power there, probe the
green wire at the hazard switch.

Is there power there?

If yes, probe the
green wire at the connector input and output at the left rear of the car which feeds the taillight assembly.

Is there power there?

If yes, probe it at the hot side of the right brake light socket.

Is there power there?

Happy Racing!