Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Sick Camaro =(....electrical problems....please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2001, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sick Camaro =(....electrical problems....please help!

Alright,umm my camaro has many problems electrical wise. I dont know what to do. There are no,I repeat NO blown fuses.

My ECM interface under my drivers side dash will NOT flash me error codes when using the paper clip method. Whats up!?

Also,my eadlights work when I pull te ****. however my blinkers do not work,as so for my emergency flashers. I have a feeling these are related. Where can I check these for problems other than the fuse? Also windsheild wipers and fluid shooter thingie doesnt work...

My ignition switch will turn and start my car without a key in it! I have a feeling all these problems are related. VATs is obviously disabled somehow since I dont need a key.

My gauges are nonfunctional for the most part. My battery has a good charge and is fairly new. However the voltage meter gauge in my dash registers 0 volts,in fact the needle doesnt move at all. Where can I hook this back up at?

Engine temp gauge is pinged all the way up even with the car off. Whats up with this? I havnt had a chance to look at the sensor,could it be grounded or something?

Oil pressure gauge DOES work...besides tach and speedo thats all I have. Please help a fellow 3rd genner in need Thanks!

------------------
LONG LIVE THE F-BODY!!
I'm the proud owner of an '89 Camaro RS w/ 70k miles and a 5 spd manual.

[This message has been edited by RS'er (edited March 15, 2001).]
Old 03-15-2001, 04:05 PM

I really need some help here

------------------
LONG LIVE THE F-BODY!!
I'm the proud owner of an '89 Camaro RS w/ 70k miles and a 5 spd manual.
Old 03-15-2001, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW, you got some problems dont you! I will try to help a little if I can. First off, does the service engine light come on when you start the car? It may just be a bad light bulb, I have changed one before because of the same type of problem and thats all it was.They are fun to change too.Your water temp guage problem sounds like its grounded, check the wire on the temp sensor on the drivers side cylinder head, they sometimes come off and bake on the exhaust and ground out.If not the sender itself is probably the culprit. Your key switch probably has messed up tumblers inside and may have to be changed, not sure what to do about the vats, its possible it was bypassed or an after market prom with vats turned off was installed in the ECM.Your signal lights, do they light but dont flash or nothing at all? did you check the flasher and bulbs? Im not sure about the volt guage, you may need to trace wires from the guage to find the problem, Im not sure where it connects to the electrical system but it could be a bad guage but I would think it just got disconnected somewhere.I hope this helps out a little. Anyone else have any ideas? Good luck man
Old 03-15-2001, 06:14 PM

Okay I just went out and messed with my car...The emergency flashers work. Turn signals still zippo. Ran out of light so I couldnt check the gauge sensors.

Oh,and my passenger side orange fender light is missing its bulb and wiring. PITA!!