Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Orange Gauge Backlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 03:08 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Engine: 3.8L V6 SuperCharged
Orange Gauge Backlights

I recently fixed my headlights and the dimmer for the interior lights. They worked great, until one day about a week and a half later, I turned on the lights and there were no more orange backlights on the gauges, and the chime that is supposed to remind you to turn off your lights stopped too. I found 2 burnt bulbs, replaced them, still doesn't work. I checked all the fuses, they're fine. Also, the idiot lights, gauges themselves and headlights all work fine. Any ideas? I can't figure this out. Thanks,
John

P.S. someone mentioned it could be the dimmer switch. I have 3 of them that I tried and none of them fix it. They are all used, but doubt they are all bad.

------------------
84 Firebird w/ T/A gfx, 350 4bbl (LM1), Non-leaking T-Tops (new rubber all around), Auto, Working headlights (new parts), K&N, 180* thermostat, ram-air hood scoop, flowmaster muffler (yuk), Accel cap & rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires. Soon: new gray interior, SFCs, poly bushings, WS6 sway bars & springs.
Old 01-16-2001, 05:41 PM

Car: 1988 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
I have a problem once in a while when i hit a dip hard on the road it shifts some wires underneath the dashboard that makes a ground and blows my 5 (amp?) fuse which prevents the gauge lights (amber color) and stereo lights(stereo lights still worked with blown fuse but only when the headlights were off) from lighting up and also resets my stations.

My headlights,gauges(but not lights), also worked fine too while the fuse was blown. BTW my dimmer switch doesnt dim but it can still turn on/off the dome light though.

I know you said you checked the fuses but maybe there is a problem with the wires that are attach to the fuse box at that specific fuse. Just in case check the 5 (amp?) labeled "Inst. Lps." along the edge of the fuse box closest to the back of the firewall. Goodluck.

------------------
Shouldn't bother putting this but hey what the heck:
1988 Maui Blue Firebird 305 TBI stock (w/ 190,000+ miles and still running strong )
Old 01-16-2001, 08:30 PM
TGO Supporter

Well, Thank you very much. I just did a whole lot of checking around that area and there is definitely a short in the "inst lps" circuit. But i also know that the print circuit on the back of the cluster is fine. I think when this got grounded is when the 2 bulbs mentioned earlier blew out. now i just need to narrow it down some more. time to find a better wiring diagram cause chiltons doesn't have that circuit on theirs.
Old 01-17-2001, 12:52 AM

Car: 1988 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
So was that fuse blown? The way i temporarily fixed mine was by slightly bending a group of wires from where they were touching the steering cloumn. I know very little about electrical but Im beginning a class this semester in Auto Electrical. Hopefully I'll learn to actual fix the problem permenantly.
Old 01-17-2001, 11:47 AM
TGO Supporter

No, that's what bugs me. The fuse is perfectly fine, but the gray wire coming out of the fuse block (or something along that whole circuit) is grounded. the green wire going into the fuse block for that fuse is fine. I thought that if the circuit is shorted, it would draw too much current and blow the fuse, therefore no more short. i guess its not drawing enough to blow the fuse? does any one know if that is possible?