Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Trunk mount batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2000, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 TransAm WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Custom TH700R4
Trunk mount batteries

I want to move my battery to my trunk to try to get some of the weight off the front of the car. Can I fit a battery box back there? I want to use a sealed box like the one Moroso makes, or a sealed Optima battery. Any ideas/help/suggestions?
Old 12-03-2000, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think your three options are 1: remove the spare tire and mount the battery there with some fabricated brackets, 2: remove the "glove box" on the left of the trunk and try to get it to fit in there, or 3: just lay it down in the hatch well.

If Andris Skulte is still on here you should talk to him...I saw his car and I think he put it where the spare tire goes. He also said that he ran 4-gauge battery wire and that it wasn't good enough to start the car...had had to take it out and run 2-gauge.
Old 12-05-2000, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Yeah, 4 guage isn't even enough for my stereo ;-) let alone the starter.
I'd hide it too, but if you do put it in the middle of the well it'll be more to the center of gravity :-) that helps doesn't it.

------------------
, Jon (91 RS too many mods to list)
Old 12-12-2000, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mounted an Optima battery on the "rise" between the spare tire and center well. I choose that location instead of in the center well because I have a sub-woofer box using that area which comes to the top of the two left and right "rises".

I mounted it on a 1/4" aluminum plate and used four 1/4" flat head screws about one inch long, just long enough to pass through the base of the battery mounting holes and hold a nut. The plate was countersunk on the bottom (so the bottom is flat) to hold the battery down using the battery mounting holes. I used stop nuts (stop nuts are thinner than regular nuts - you could just grind down regular nuts to make them thinner so they'll fit between this plate and the bottom of the battery) to keep the screws from turning when removing the nuts holding the battery down. The screws face up and are locked in place with the stop-nuts. Simply lower the battery onto the four secrews pointed up and screw the nuts on to hold the battery down. I used locking nuts to hold the battery down since they are tightened only enough to snugly hold it; remember, it's plastic. Regular nuts with blue LockTight would work equally well.

I have amplifiers mounted where the spare tire was. I could almost have mounted it in the lowest-most point where the spare tire was, but not quite because of the amplifiers. That would have been the nicest location - out of the rear cargo area; easy access; right side (car wants to lift on the right side during accelleration); and lowest-most point (for a lower center of gravity).

Mounting it on the left side where the storage area is a possibility, but access would be more difficult because of the smaller door and the panel is more difficult to remove, albiet a concern only rarely if a sealed gell battery is used (e.g. Optima) and properly maintained (charged).

Either way, left storage area or spare tire location, will require a base and supports strong enough to support a battery. Mounting on the rise, as I installed it, only required a base.

I did not use a battery hold down that holds the battery down from the top because I think it looks chinche (cheap). As described above, the Optima is secured by four 1/4" screws facing up on the battery's lower mount for a more professional look.

Since I used an Optima battery (sealed gel), spilled acid is not a concern, so I have no enclosure for it. For those that say acid (even in gel form) could be spilled from a rear-end accident, I would say that would be the least of my worries at that point.

Hope some of my ideas can be of use.

[This message has been edited by Stuart Moss (edited December 12, 2000).]