Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Attn: Vader, Tim Burgess and others: RE: Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2000, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn: Vader, Tim Burgess and others: RE: Brake Lights

Id like to start off by thanking all you guys who have helped me already.

I have since fixed the one brighter tail light, and the non blinking driver side tail light. Everything is now working as should except for: the brake lights still.

I now know that the harness I was referring to in my previous post has nothing to do with the brake lights and have pinpointed what each colored light is for. The rest of the problem goes as follows.

I know my brake light switch is good, I bought a new one and get the same test light results as the old one. There is a constant orange power wire (works) going into the switch and two white wires (works) coming out of the switch. I would assume the two white wires are for each tailight. where they go after the switch God only knows, they disappear into the upper dash. I know the wiring to the fuse box and the brake light fuse sections are both good. I would imagine then, that my problem lies between the fuse box and the sockets themselves. so far, I guess the next best plan of attack would be what Mr. Burgess mentioned, to actually connect each sockets ground to a chassis ground to see if one of the 4 socket grounds are not working? Also, once again, I notice that at each outer socket of both tailights, instead of a yellow, brown and black wire, there are two yellows. Why would one socket of each pair have an extra yellow? Would that be possibly for an extra function? Also, if one socket out of the 4 had a bad ground, could that cause all four to not function as far as the brake lights go?

I know I have bugged you guys alot so far, I really do appreciate your help.

BTW, my car is not an Fbody, it is a 1983 Pontiac Grand Prix. Hope this doesnt disqualify me from help...heh.. Its just that most Gbody or GrandPrix sites dont have enough decent people who can or are willing to help someone out.

Thanx Again Guys.....Joe
Old 11-06-2000, 08:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
Transmission: 700R4
Do you have seperate turnsignal/brake light? Or does the turn signal flash the brake light?

If so, (TS flashes brake light), the problem could be in the TS indicator...in this type of setup, the brakelight wire runs up through the column, through the TS indicator switch, then to the brakelight/TS bulb. This is why the brake light goes off, if you have the TS on.

Otherwise..keep looking for that ground problem
Old 11-07-2000, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny you should mention that because a friend of mine who works at a body shop came home today saying that he was told that on my style of car, the two wires leaving the brake light switch should route into the turn signal switch in the column itself. Whats even more coincendental is that right around when I started having the brake light problem, another mechanic friend of mine had fixed the notorius Gbody tilt steering loosening bolt problem. I have been noticing that for the last two months, my turn signal has not clicked into place but has been real mushy when signaling to the left. I guess ill have to check that turn signal switch to see if I am losing ground or a wire is grounded that shouldnt be. Hmm....sound right to the rest of you guys?