Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

MSD Ignition? Worth it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2000, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSD Ignition? Worth it or not?

does anyone have the msd 6A, or the 6AL ignitions? Jegs also has a super HEI kit PN121-8500 that i think comes with an external coil and a in cap one and also the ignition box. But what im trying to say is that i really dont know crap about my ignition! i have the distributor with the eight plugs around the outside of the cap and a plug in the center that has a short wire tha goes to what i think is an external coil. that has 2 white and 2 brown wires coming out of it. I wired my tach into the white wire. what ignition do i have? But should i get the MSD Ign. im going to get nitrous real soon so i think i need the hotter spark, and MSD makes a module that you can advance and retard your timing from inside the car. Well what do yall think? sorry for rambling for so long. But i would appreciate any responce. Thanks for the help. later

------------------
keep the stang's far behind u and the cops even farther
Old 10-20-2000, 12:11 AM
Banned

I have the MSD6Al box and love it. If anything you need it for the rev limiter. Plus there are so many aftermarket accesories from MSD that you can plug in. One being the nitrous add on you were referring to. It also makes you run a little smoother. I was experiencing some starting problems until I reset my computer like MSD TECH said to do. Works a hell of a lot better now!

------------------
'92 Formula
305 TPI
Mods: SLP catback,SLP air foil,ported plenum,Crane AFPR (49psi),MSD6AL,homemade cold air,K&Ns,3:73s,JET fan switch...SLP 1 5/8ths are coming...oh yes
Old 10-20-2000, 12:14 AM

Reset your comp?????????? why? And how difficult was the instal? thanx for the help

------------------
Old 10-20-2000, 12:18 AM
Banned

I didnt install it, my father did when i was away at college. He didnt even use the harness he just spliced the wires and it took about 20min. You can buy the harness for around $17 i think. It makes install a hell of a lot easier. Also, if you buy RPM module kits..buy the one made by Solenoid. Its only $19 and adjustable from 0-12000 RPMs. The MSD plug ins are a rip off.

To reset your computer disconnect your negative on your battery. Let it sit for about half an hour. This allows your computer to relearn to any mods you have done. Sounds like BS but it really does work. You should do it after every mod. With my car (speed density), my car does not see intake mods so I have to have a custom chip burned and an AFPR. If your MAF, you should be fine.

------------------
'92 Formula
305 TPI
Mods: SLP catback,SLP air foil,ported plenum,Crane AFPR (49psi),MSD6AL,homemade cold air,K&Ns,3:73s,JET fan switch...SLP 1 5/8ths are coming...oh yes
Old 10-20-2000, 12:24 AM

thanks alot i appreciate the help.

------------------
Old 10-20-2000, 12:25 AM
Banned

By the way, the solenoid adjust. RPM is available in JEGS. Let me know if you need the part #. Good luck.

Also intall your MSD box as far away from block as possible. Try top right corner of engine. Or somewhere inside car.

------------------
'92 Formula
305 TPI
Old 10-20-2000, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by theformula:
To reset your computer disconnect your negative on your battery. Let it sit for about half an hour. This allows your computer to relearn to any mods you have done,
All it takes is 30 seconds to have the battery unplugged and then the computer will reset. They recommend driving the car down the road at a steady speed for 30 minutes and this will allow the computer to re-learn itself....or adjust itself to the new mods.

You should have the negative battery cable unplugged anyways during the install so when you plug it up all old codes will be cleared if any were stored in the computer in the first place.

------------------
1988 TA 300+hp 350 w/ TBI and Holley TB unit, Holley projection intake,
WC T-5, 3.42 gears w/ Auburn posi. MSD 6A, edelbrock TES headers, dynomax 3" cat and cat-back system, ACCEL coil, polyurethane bushings all around, aluminum driveshaft, Mr. Gasket open air cleaner.

1993 S-10 w/ 4.3L V6 TBI, slightly bigger cam, Mild polish job and 3 angle valve job on heads, Edlebrock TES headers, Dynomax cat back, MSD 6A, ADS chip

2000 Kawasaki KX 125
Old 10-20-2000, 09:48 AM
Banned

I have to disagree. MSD tech said to leave it disconnected for at least 20min. When I first installed the MSD6AL (as well as my other mods), I disconnected the battery for about 5minutes. The car always ran a little funny. Well I took MSD's advice and disconnected it for an hour actually then drove the car down to the beach. Runs a lot better and my starting problem went away.

------------------
'92 Formula
305 TPI