Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Relocating battery to trunk...?'s about Alt. wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2000 | 07:15 PM

Relocating battery to trunk...?'s about Alt. wiring

I need to know what to do with the wires that are connected to the battery cable at the battery. One wire goes to the alternator and the other two go into a connector that runs up to the firewall (I think). Can I just leave the wires in the same location and just add a junction box (like the ones on Chevy trucks) were the battery was? I will be leaving the stock cable hooked up at the starter and running it to the junction box then running the other wires off of it. Any better ideals?

Thanks,

------------------
Billy
92 B4C 305TPI T5
Texas Spokes Sports Car Club #63 ESP
73 Z28
Old 10-16-2000 | 08:13 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '92 Z28; Dk Teal; Her Pkg
Engine: 305
Transmission: Richmond 6 Spd
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", Detroit Locker, 3.70
If your car is still equipped with a computer, I'd run two positive wires back to the battery - one large (4 gauge) wire to carry the current to the starter and the fan relay(s) & current from the alternator, and a second, smaller (12 gauge wire) to supply power to the ECM & fuel pump. Connect the smaller wire to feed the 20 amp ECM / fuel pump fuse near the battery. Also, you should run a large (4 gauge) wire from the negative terminal of the battery to the transmission case or the engine block. Connect the small gauge wire from the negative terminal of the battery to the chassis. I did the conversion on my '92 Z28 & ran the wires under the car & followed the fuel lines. The connection points I used were the starter solenoid (4 gauge positive), and a clutch slave cylinder bracket bolt (4 gauge negative). The 12 gauge positive ran up to the engine compartment to where the battery used to be. I later relocated the battery back to its original location, due to the NHRA rules requiring a shut off switch on the rear of the car if the battery is relocated to the rear, and to remove the extra weight from the cables.

Tim