DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Need some SERIOUS help from knowledgeable PCM guys.. :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some SERIOUS help from knowledgeable PCM guys.. :(

Ok, here's the deal. I've got a '94 vette and I'm having all kinds of problems trying to get a custom program into my computer. I just got my 383 back on friday, and at first was having lots of problems using Tunercat's "flshprog.exe" program. I finally figured out that I was missing the other file besides the .exe that is needed for the program. I got it started programming, and my battery died on me!!

So I immediately knew i was screwed. I tried to program it again, but it wouldn't communicate. I orered a replacement "t-side" flash rom chip from akmcables.com and replaced it this morning (pre programmed with the communcations software). I went out and tried to program it again ... this time it got to 70% and I got a "inncorrect data sent" error. Then it said it was "resetting the PCM" and exited the program.

I have since then tried to program it again and it says "processor reset error". I read the readme for flshprog.exe and it says to unhook the neg cable and/or remove the PCM. I did both, and tried again a little while later, and ever since have been getting the same error.

Does anyone have any clue what I fried and how to fix it?

I am most likely going to ship my PCM to andrew at akmcables.com tomorrow and have him put sockets on both the t-side and e-side flash rom's, as well as get another t-side chip and 2 e-side chips.

I called and talked with Andrew, he said he wasn't sure what could be wrong, but suspects the e-side chip since it got over 50% done (0-50% = t-side (communication) 51-100% = e-side (datatables/constants etc)). I also called Ken Kelly (programmer of LT1 edit) and his best guess is the same as Andrew's .. that I toasted the e-side chip.

The other thing I'm trying to do is find someone with a y-body registered version of pcmprog.exe so I can see if that program will let me upload it or not. Anyone have this??

Need some major help here guys .. sorry this is so long. I've driven my vette for 10 minutes the past 2 months .. and it's my daily driver!

Any help at all is appreciated!

Last edited by Glock94; 01-28-2002 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
A power failure durung programming a flas PCM is bad news. Sent it to Andrew, and tell him what happened.

My advise is to stay away from KK and his alleged *expertise*, there are alot of LT1 gurus that are just clueless about what is really happening. Beside KK is a theif, if you look at the DIY-EFI archives you'll see LT1 edit was to be free ware, and only after he drew on the resources on the list did it become a for $ business, please if you have any doubts read the archives you you have some idea of the history of those your dealing with.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Grumpy
A power failure durung programming a flas PCM is bad news. Sent it to Andrew, and tell him what happened.

My advise is to stay away from KK and his alleged *expertise*, there are alot of LT1 gurus that are just clueless about what is really happening. Beside KK is a theif, if you look at the DIY-EFI archives you'll see LT1 edit was to be free ware, and only after he drew on the resources on the list did it become a for $ business, please if you have any doubts read the archives you you have some idea of the history of those your dealing with.

I did not know that! HHmmmm... And he charges $200 for software that was to be free.. man.. that's messed up. $0 to $200 ...
Old 01-28-2002, 10:17 PM

Car: 82 Corvette
Engine: 350 CrossFire
Transmission: 700R4
Glock, just so you know, I always identify myself to Grumpy as "The Third" Ken Kelly.. just because of the LT1 edit guy! Grumpy thought I was him at first.. boy was THAT a confusing conversation!
Old 01-28-2002, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Ken73
Glock, just so you know, I always identify myself to Grumpy as "The Third" Ken Kelly.. just because of the LT1 edit guy! Grumpy thought I was him at first.. boy was THAT a confusing conversation!
Uhhh... riiiiight.
Old 01-29-2002, 04:49 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: Pro-Built 700R4 2400 ACT Stall
Axle/Gears: 2.77 Borg Warner 9-Bolt
Yea, i believe KK is already having problems with the newly released LS1 edit. 2 98 LS1's were unable to be programed and it failed similar to what is described above.
Old 01-29-2002, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by branz28
Yea, i believe KK is already having problems with the newly released LS1 edit. 2 98 LS1's were unable to be programed and it failed similar to what is described above.

HHHHmmm.. that's interesting considering that OBD-II uses a block write instead of batch and that it is supposed to be able to recover from upload interruptions... i bet it's a flaw in the software