DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Files from ECMGUY's geocities site

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Files from ECMGUY's geocities site

I have successfully (I think) saved all the pages from the geocities site onto my machine. It's going to be a fair amount of effort to edit out all the junk that geocities included and prepair his site for hosting on TeamKAOS.org. I'm going to try to tackle a page or two a day (more if possible) and will let everyone know when the "relocation" is finished.

I am not going to change anything that does not require it nor will I remove the ECMGUY name from anywhere if possible. I have absolutly no intention of taking credit for the information presented.

I hope this is not the only contribution I end up making to the DIY PROM effort, but I also hope the effort I put into this project will help others.
Old 01-26-2002, 07:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: Files from ECMGUY's geocities site

Originally posted by KAOSRacing
I have successfully (I think) saved all the pages from the geocities site onto my machine. It's going to be a fair amount of effort to edit out all the junk that geocities included and prepair his site for hosting on TeamKAOS.org. I'm going to try to tackle a page or two a day (more if possible) and will let everyone know when the "relocation" is finished.

I am not going to change anything that does not require it nor will I remove the ECMGUY name from anywhere if possible. I have absolutly no intention of taking credit for the information presented.

I hope this is not the only contribution I end up making to the DIY PROM effort, but I also hope the effort I put into this project will help others.
I don't give you permission to use any of my material to be reformated or residplayed in any likeness.
(Bruce's Page).
Old 01-27-2002, 09:37 AM

Your information

Grumpy,

Would you prefer I remove your contributions or do you want to see/approve the end product before I "launch" the mirrored site.
Old 04-27-2002, 04:00 PM

FINALLY...sort of :-(

I finally got all of the ECMGuy pages edited to get rid of the GeoCities stuff and ready to go on my site. Now I can't ftp into my site (the server is having some kind of problem).

Maybe by the end of the weekend I'll have the ECMGuy mirror up on teamkaos.org. I'll annouce it when it's ready.
Old 04-27-2002, 06:36 PM
Supreme Member

Re: FINALLY...sort of :-(

I finally got all of the ECMGuy pages edited to get rid of the GeoCities stuff and ready to go on my site. Now I can't ftp into my site (the server is having some kind of problem).

Maybe by the end of the weekend I'll have the ECMGuy mirror up on teamkaos.org. I'll annouce it when it's ready.
Did you get an OK from him to do that?.
Or are you assuming that just because he was generous, you can exploite that?.
Old 04-27-2002, 06:53 PM

Umm...Grumpy I'm confused.

I was under the impression that he was no longer alive and people wanted the information archived before GeoCities wiped it out.

Is that not the case?!?

My reference is
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...threadid=39464 Check the ~15th message in that thread.

Here's a quote from Glenn:

"But you may want to rush. ECMGUY passed away awhile back and this website is living on "borrowed time" as long as someone is willing to pay to keep it up. For those that read Traxion's Prom Introduction Article, you would have already found these if you had clicked on all the "recommended links". "

If he's dead who am I supposed to ask permission from? The last thing I want to do is mirror information that I shouldn't touch. 5 messages deeper (the ~20th) in the thread YOU told me to grab the whole thing. Quote from you:

"Grab it all.
I think in the spiirit of the ecm guys own way for it to be residplayed would be fine with him.
Mirroring while he was with us would have been a different matter."

Color me confused.

BTW All your information on those pages will not go on my site per your request.

Last edited by KAOSRacing; 04-27-2002 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2002, 08:08 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Umm...Grumpy I'm confused.

I was under the impression that he was no longer alive and people wanted the information archived before GeoCities wiped it out.

BTW All your information on those pages will not go on my site per your request.
The clues are all out there, for who he was. Someone is paying the bills, so someone still owns the material. Again, the clues are out there.

As for what Glenn thinks about things, that's tween you and he.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:41 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Re: Re: Umm...Grumpy I'm confused.

Originally posted by Grumpy
As for what Glenn thinks about things, that's tween you and he.
What I meant was "get the information you need for your personal use as soon as possible", such as the "hacks". I never implied that you should go and "mirror" his site. You should obtain permission from whoever is paying for that site.

It is similar to people that "mirror" or take information from www.thirdgen.org and then use it as a "technical article" on their own site. I've caught a few people doing that to me, and I wasn't very happy. Especially when some of the information was "old" and recent information made it out-dated. So anyone relying on the old information were getting mis-information.

You should always get pemission if you are going to "mirror or copy" other's information. 90% of the time, people will be happy IF you ask first and they may even assist you. But without permission, 99% they will be pissed off.
Old 04-28-2002, 08:13 PM

like usual people say one thing but mean somthing totally different.and as usual grumpy is speaking in riddles,the more you surf the clearer it becomes.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Umm, if it's a geocities cite, there's no bills to pay Grump Geocities is a free server.
But if the guy is dead that also does not automatically make it public info either.
I also thought that geocities would keep the page up as long as it was active in one way or another.
Third Kaos already said he wasn't going to attempt to take credit it anyway, just post it to preserve the information and give credit where credit is due, I don't see a problem with that, unless you think citing other people's work is a problem, if that's the case hope you don't ever have to write a research paper.

Kaos as long as you do give proper credit, and don't make any money off of the thing your not doing anything wrong that I know of.
As a matter of fact I just looked up the site and the guy STATES that he's trying to share the info. But what I would do if I were you is just save teh information and only do something with it if the site goes down.
As I said geocities is a free server and they make their money from the ads, so they'll leave it up as long as it keeps getting hits. So until then just link to it.