DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

EBL Flash II timing parameter change

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2024, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 94 GMC K2500
Engine: 383, Vortec heads
Transmission: 4L60E, 4.3L Torque Converter
Axle/Gears: 3:73
EBL Flash II timing parameter change

Four years ago, I built a 383 for my son's 94 GMC K2500, and you guys were extremely helpful showing me how to program the EBL. This year I made more modifications to the engine, aluminum heads with 64cc chambers and 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves. I also found a 454 TBI unit which has 50mm bores. I also had the block 0 decked and used a .039 thick head gasket which gives me a good quinch and 9.68:1 compression, that's up from 9.3:1 with iron vortec heads. I need to retard the timing some. Right now the WUD shows 37 degrees advanced if I read it right. The base timing is 6 advanced. My son and I have tried to find where the timing perimeters can be changed but haven't had any success. I'm hoping someone here will tell me how.
Thank you,
Jamie
Old 09-17-2024, 08:17 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am/85 K5 Jimmy
Engine: 406 FIRST/350 TPI
Transmission: TKO 600/700R4
Axle/Gears: 9Bolt/10Bolt front & back
Re: EBL Flash II timing parameter change

The primary tables are "SA - Main Table" and "SA - Extended Table"

I assume you are running closed loop which means PE mode is being used for heavy throttle/load. You will also want to take a look at the SA - PE Adder vs Gear/RPM and SA - PE Reduction vs. MPH tables as well.

You can even go as far as to zero out all of the "adder/reducer" tables and run only off of the Main and Extended Tables. That is how I handle my SA. I still utilize the choke/start up tables though through warm up.
Old 09-18-2024, 04:44 PM

My knock counter starts climbing as soon as I start the engine. I'm not sure what was done last time to bring that number down, I remember having 30,000+ counts 4 years ago, so I need to account for that first.
My son could hear the pinging under load, he has young ears. Last week when I couldn't figure out how to change the timing on the EBL, I put in 5gals of 100LL fuel in the tank and I had about 4gals of 87 octane already in the tank and after a couple of minutes of driving my son couldn't hear any pinging. I did that just to be sure it was pinging my son was hearing and not some other sound that was mimicking it. I'm going to siphon this fuel mixture out and refill it with 87 and see if I can get it to run on the cheaper fuel. 89 octane is about as good as I can find up hear and it's .60 cents higher a gallon.
Thank you for your help dabomb6608 it is appreciated.
Jamie

Last edited by AKPreacher; 09-18-2024 at 04:46 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-18-2024, 07:02 PM

All the tables are zeros. Does that mean the timing isn't being retarded because there is no retard value?
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

You are sure this is an EBL Flash XDF? I have never seen either of those main tables in the XDF for my EBL. Unless it is a table in the EBL P4 XDF?
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM

I think it's the bin file that is in the EBL right now. I had my laptop connected to the EBL when I took the picture. I'm using the bin that we used from 4 years ago. I'm trying to do the VE learns for the new modifications that I just completed. I have pinging under slight load right now which is why I trying to retard the spark advance. I have the Flash 2. I don't have any XDF files right now, lost the cd. I emailed Dynamic EFI and they told me I can download the XDF files from their web site. I believe I downloaded the file to my laptop but I don't see them in Tuner Pro. I don't think I'm moving the file right. Is that something you can walk me through?
I am rereading Introduction to Tuning, and I see the SA main table and the SA extended table that you told me to look at, in the reading, but I don't see it when I'm on my laptop with the EBL connected and the key on.
I also haven't been able to find the SA - PE Adder vs Gear/RPM and SA - PE Reduction vs. MPH tables that you wanted me to look at.
Does it make a difference weather I use Tuner Pro or Tuner Pro RT, could that be the difference?

Last edited by AKPreacher; Yesterday at 01:09 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

I have attached my EBL_V40 XDF file. Note, I have went in and edited every parameter by adding a description to that parameter. The descriptions were pulled directly from the EBL_Calibration.html file supplied with the EBL. Doing so makes it SO much easier to know what that parameter does and how it might affect the tune. This doesn't change anything in the XDF other than adding a descriptor to the parameter info. Now I can simply hover over any parameter in the parameter tree window and the description for that parameter will pop up next to the cursor.

Before you download it and load it into tunerpro, please screenshot the top bar of your tunerpro window. Below is a screenshot showing mine. Notice how it has the BIN file that is currently loaded and the XDF file that is currently active. I am curious what XDF your tunerpro is using to come up with those tables. If you would like you could also attach your BIN file for us to take a look at. I am hoping no issues were potentially caused by using a incorrect XDF file.

I also have the two main spark advance tables open. These are RPM vs MAP.

Attached Files
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM

Here's the screen shot. When I click on select XDF it goes to a folder that doesn't have any files.
I downloaded this from Dynamic EFI _Download the latest update program and .msi install file_ I think this is what RBob meant when I ask him if I could get a replacement cd that has XDF files. He sent me to this site,http://dynamicefi.com/EBL_UpdateFlash.php . If this is the XDF files, I haven't been able to retrieve the files from it.

Last edited by AKPreacher; Yesterday at 10:16 PM.
Old Today, 07:19 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by AKPreacher

Here's the screen shot. When I click on select XDF it goes to a folder that doesn't have any files.
I downloaded this from Dynamic EFI _Download the latest update program and .msi install file_ I think this is what RBob meant when I ask him if I could get a replacement cd that has XDF files. He sent me to this site,http://dynamicefi.com/EBL_UpdateFlash.php . If this is the XDF files, I haven't been able to retrieve the files from it.
Okay yeah you don't have an XDF loaded.

I don't know how to just get the XDF off the site. Far as I am aware it isn't there. Just updates for EBL firmware and the WUD. I know that cause I just updated my firmware from V2.4 to V2.7. After doing that procedure I didn't have any updated XDF files available.

Download the one I attached to my post above in the zip file and use it. That is the latest (as far as I am aware) XDF, and has the descriptions I added which will be very beneficial to you.

Then to load them into tunerpro just unzip the folder and then put the XDF in your DynamicEFI folder that way its all together. Then just go to that folder when the window opens to select your XDF in tunerpro.
Old Today, 08:10 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by AKPreacher
If you clicked on, and downloaded the information from the links that Bob had sent you, then you should already have the XDF's on your system. Understand that when you're in Tuner Pro, when you select "XDF" and then when you select "Select XDF", the pop up box sometimes doesn't directly take you to where your Dynamic EFI application is to retrieve them. Try this, select "XDF", and from the drop down select "Select XDF". From there, if you still don't see any XDF's to choose from, click the drop down arrow from the address bar at the top of inside the pop up box, then navigate inside the popup box to where your Dynamic EFI folder is actually located. Try this after dropping down the address bar in the pop up box;

Windows (C) > Program Files > Dynamic EFI.

From there, click on Dynamic EFI, then click EBL Flash II, and from there you should see your XDF written as;

EBL_V42.XDF

Note that when I type ">" it just means followed by...

- Rob
The following users liked this post:
dabomb6608 (Today)
Old Today, 09:37 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Yep, he should have the XDF somewhere with his main files. I keep mine on a onedrive so couldn't remember if the program created a C: directory or not since it has been so long for me originally installing it all.

AKPreacher - One thing to keep in mind is your files might not show the extension after the file names when you are in file explorer. When we refer to XDF or BIN files these are the extensions. Yours doesn't appear to be showing them because your bin file in tunerpro doesn't end with .BIN whereas mine does in my screenshot. Same for my XDF file. To change this you can go into folder options (windows 11 it is the three dots next to view then click options), hit view tab and then one of the check boxes should be labeled "Hide Extensions for known file types". Uncheck this.