DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Windows 8, Tunerpro 5 RT and Extreme ADLDL Cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: 1988 305 TPI
Transmission: 1993 T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Windows 8, Tunerpro 5 RT and Extreme ADLDL Cable

Hello, I am trying to get my new windows 8 laptop to connect to my 88 TPI computer.

I have gone to the moates troubleshooting section of their website and did what the instructions said.

1. I downloaded the usb driver from moates website (when i did this it asked me if I wanted to install the driver in compatibility mode or if I wanted to install the driver correctly, I closed the box so I could research the issue and couldn't find anything so I installed the driver again and it did not ask me the second time)
  2. I followed the instructions to configure the tunerpro preferences box titled "data logging with aldl" setting and tested it per the instructions and tunerpro said "cable found and functional" from the test screen, but at the bottom of the tunerpro screen it says "hardware not found"
  3. I followed the "Troubleshooting USB drivers 101" instructions" I set the com port to 3 and the latency time to 1, In the device manager and windows 8 is recognizing the cable
I am not sure what else to do windows recognizes the cable, when I test the cable in tunerpro from the "data acquisition plug in configure" screen it says it is found and functional, but obviously I am missing something because it is not working.

Any help is appreciated, thanks Adam
Old 02-02-2014, 01:36 PM

Re: Windows 8, Tunerpro 5 RT and Extreme ADLDL Cable

Also, I am using the same bin and xdf mask file that I had loaded on my windows 7 computer that I had working with the vehicle so I would not think a problem developed in the car, I think I should be good on that front

Last edited by 85 Frankenstein; 02-02-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:48 PM

I just noticed that under the "port settings" in windows that my "bits per second" rate is set to 57600 and in the moates troubleshooting screenshot is shows 9600, so I changed it to 9600 and it made no difference
Old 02-02-2014, 08:20 PM

The speed setting in the port area of windows is overridden by the .ADX file so it doesn't make any difference.

The .BIN and .XDF files are used the data on the chip and the mask to program the data on the chip. They are not used when scanning and won't make any difference. You don't need them at all for scanning.

When testing the cable in TunerPro RT, the cable needs to be connected to the laptop but not to the vehicle for the test to be valid.

In TunerPro RT when scanning the first two bottom boxes do not apply. The third bottom box will tell you the number of errors AFTER you are connected. The forth bottom box is the only one that applies when connecting for scanning.

So do you have your .ADX file loaded? That is the only definition/bin file you will need. Are you sure you have the correct one? What .ADX file and what model, year and engine are you trying to scan?

If you have the right .ADX file loaded what happens when you go to connect to the ECM?

Last edited by phonedawgz; 02-02-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am using Windows 8 with tuner pro RT version 4 and it works with the OBD1 in my 88 firebird V6. Do you have a 10 K jumper in the usb cable as it needed to be used. OBD1 runs at 160 baud. My port 3 is set to 9600 like yours. I tried the 160 setting but needed the 10K jumper on pin a & b for OBD Diagnostics cable being used with my laptop.
There is a tread by the author of tuner saying it may be a bit intermittent with the 160 baud ECMs.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 PM

Pin E - 160 baud is unidirectional. The 10K resistor is needed to start the communication stream. Depending on the ECM the resistor may just be needed to start the data stream or it may be needed all the time.

Pin M - 8192 baud is bi-directional. The laptop sends a "data request" stream and the ECM replies with a single data stream. Because of that most pin M ECMs do not need the 10K resistor.

You should be able to connect to your 88 ECM with TunerPro RT. You are using the $32B .ADX file correct?
Attached Files
File Type: zip
$32B.ADX.zip (1.8 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by phonedawgz; 02-02-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by phonedawgz
The speed setting in the port area of windows is overridden by the .ADX file so it doesn't make any difference.

The .BIN and .XDF files are used the data on the chip and the mask to program the data on the chip. They are not used when scanning and won't make any difference. You don't need them at all for scanning.

When testing the cable in TunerPro RT, the cable needs to be connected to the laptop but not to the vehicle for the test to be valid.

In TunerPro RT when scanning the first two bottom boxes do not apply. The third bottom box will tell you the number of errors AFTER you are connected. The forth bottom box is the only one that applies when connecting for scanning.

So do you have your .ADX file loaded? That is the only definition/bin file you will need. Are you sure you have the correct one? What .ADX file and what model, year and engine are you trying to scan?

If you have the right .ADX file loaded what happens when you go to connect to the ECM?
I did not realize that the bin and the mask were not needed for data logging. I have been under the assumption that the mask was the "interpreter" between tuner pro and the bin, that it was the key file I needed to make the program work and the bin would just put example data into the program so I could explore it and try and figure it out.

I do not have any .adx file loaded
I have a .bin (bin), a .xdf(the mask), and an .xdl (the last driving log that I recorded from my old computer before I gave it to a friend in need)

Sounds like I need to look into the adx file, thanks for the help, I will try it!
Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mark RWC
I am using Windows 8 with tuner pro RT version 4 and it works with the OBD1 in my 88 firebird V6. Do you have a 10 K jumper in the usb cable as it needed to be used. OBD1 runs at 160 baud. My port 3 is set to 9600 like yours. I tried the 160 setting but needed the 10K jumper on pin a & b for OBD Diagnostics cable being used with my laptop.
There is a tread by the author of tuner saying it may be a bit intermittent with the 160 baud ECMs.
Thank you for the information. I am using the moates "extreme aldl" cable and it has a switch for 10K and open, (this is the "jumper" I believe you are referencing) I have the switch set to 10K on the little box in the middle of the cable. It has been about two years since I set that cable up to communicate with the car and forgot why it was set the way it was. Thank you for the very helpful information!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:29 AM

I did some research to figure out the different meanings of the adx and xdf files because I thought I knew what the different files where for, does this sound right, the adx is the file tells tunerpro how to use the datastream information and display it in the appropriate manner, and the xdf is the interpreter for tunerpro so it can manipulate the bin?

I loaded an adx file that I all ready had from my previous rounds of connecting my old computer, it brought up the dash and looked like my other program, but when I tried to connect, it said "DA: connecting..." and never got past that point. So I unzipped the file that you sent to me and loaded that one and the dash turned to six empty boxes and did the same thing, the fourth bottom box said "DA: connecting...," but never connected. I just check the device manager again with the cable connected and there were no error messages.

I reloaded the adx file that I had and got the dash looking right, but it still is stuck at "DA: connecting..."

I am getting closer...
Old 02-03-2014, 08:33 AM

I also just tested the cable again with it connected to the computer and not the car and it still says "cable found and functional"
Old 02-03-2014, 08:44 AM

I just realized something, when I press play on the data log file that I made, it says it is playing on the bottom box, however, none of the data is showing up on the dash or item list to view, everything is at zero.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:00 AM

The data log playback function will have no effect unless you have some data already recorded.

The 10K resistor will need to be in place for the data to flow.

Yes the dash layout is part of the .ADX file. The dash however is an added function. Lets work on getting the data flowing first and then after that you can see what can be done with the dash. Under VIEW go to Toolbars and de-select everything except that starts with the word DATA. Select everything that does say DATA. Now on your toolbar the double arrow icon will be your connect/disconnect button, the notepad with the spiral at the top is your data screen, and the red speedometer is your dash screen.

Did you try my .ADX file with the 10K resistor in place?

Are you running the 1227165 ECM?
Is it equipped with a $32B PROM?

I sell OBD1 ALDL cables. Here is a link to my install disk. http://reddevilriver.com/aldl.html I do have a collection of .ADX files on it, arranged in order. Go to the bottom of the page and click on Click HERE to download the driver software CD All the programs/drivers on the disk should work with your cable brand also. Your driver appears to be correct but download it for the .ADX files if you suspect your ECM is not the 1227165 running the $32B mask.

Last edited by phonedawgz; 02-03-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:07 PM

Its working, thank you very much. I loaded your adx file and left the switch on 10K on the cable. I must have had a bad adx file that I tried because it would not work with the one I had brought over to this computer from my jump drive. I am confused now, on my old computer I remember having many more items on the "item list" than I do now, I guess I must have had a different adx file that was expanded somehow? Anyway, thanks for all of your help, now that I am connected I can start figuring out how to approach getting the car tuned. Thank you very much for the help.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:29 PM

I need help. I hate to jump in onto someones thread...

I am trying desperately to get Tunerpro RT to read my cable so I can connect to the 7747 ecm in my 1987 GMC V1500 so I can datalog and create a .bin file so i can get a tune.

I have tried .42 bin, I am now using ACSU_87_R-V_truck_5.bin/42.xdf/code 59.8 beta tp5 only.adx

I have a usb aldl cable that worked fine with winaldl.

I try to test the cable unplugged from obd1 port and it keeps saying it fails or isn't connected at 8192 baud rate. I think I am on a 160 baud rate? Any ideas?

I am running version 5.0 on windows 7.

my cable looks like this:

http://www.hoodtuned.com/store/index...&product_id=60
Old 04-22-2014, 06:43 AM

Is your cable USB direct? If so it should pass the TunerPro RT cable verification test. Some serial cables were made for just pin E and do not have the bi-directional functionality that is used in the test. Most (all?) USB cables are made for both Pin E and Pin M. All Pin M cables have to have the bi-directional functionality and will pass the TunerPro RT test.

The 7747 is a Pin E ECM and could work with a TunerPro RT serial Pin E cable. A serial Pin E cable would fail the test however.

The .BIN file and the .XDF file make no difference when scanning. Only the .ADX file is used. You do have the wrong .ADX file selected. Download my install disk and use the $42 .ADX file from it. (1987 - 91 C&K Truck, Van, 4.3L, 5.7L, 5.0L & 7.4L engines Turbo 400 trans-3 speed $42-1227747-V5.2.adx) The link is on a reply two answers up so I won't repeat it.

It sounds like using the wrong .ADX file isn't your only problem however since your USB cable should pass the TunerPro RT test as long as the cable is plugged into the laptop but not plugged into the vehicle.

Last edited by phonedawgz; 04-22-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:56 AM

Is your cable USB direct? If so it should pass the TunerPro RT cable verification test. Some serial cables were made for just pin E and do not have the bi-directional functionality that is used in the test. Most (all?) USB cables are made for both Pin E and Pin M. All Pin M cables have to have the bi-directional functionality and will pass the TunerPro RT test.

The 7747 is a Pin E ECM and could work with a TunerPro RT serial Pin E cable. A serial Pin E cable would fail the test however.

The .BIN file and the .XDF file make no difference when scanning. Only the .ADX file is used. You do have the wrong .ADX file selected. Download my install disk and use the $42 .ADX file from it. The link is on a reply two answers up so I won't repeat it.

It sounds like using the wrong .ADX file isn't your only problem however since your USB cable should pass the TunerPro RT test as long as the cable is plugged into the laptop but not plugged into the vehicle.
I have tried using the 42.adx file as well. It yielded the same results.

I am very new to using anything but Winaldl, what do you mean about the usb cable being direct? It is almost exactly like the one in the link I posted.

TunerPro RT won't recognize the cable with it unplugged from the vehicle and it won't connect to show data when plugged in. I have been trying to figure this out for 2 weeks.

My truck is a 1987 GMC V1500.

It has 350 tbi out of a 1992 truck. It was bored .030 over with flat top pistons w/ 4 valve reliefs. It has a vortec roller cam setup with stock 193 heads. It also has longtube headers, heated ac delco 02, ultimate tbi mod, injector spacer, electric fans, adjustable fuel regulator set at 12 psi, rebuilt trans w/ transgo shift kit and corvette servos with 3.42 gears and 32" tall tires. Timing advanced 4* tdc w/ brown/black wire unplugged.

The problem is it feels like the bottom end power/torque isn't there like it was with the original stock, oil burning, gunked up engine. It will shift at 47mph & tc lock up and drop rpms to around 1250 and feels powerless until it gets back up to around 1500 rpms. At 60+ mph it feels good but I don't live near any interstate so above 60 is really useless. It is also having some idling issues where when warm idle will sometimes go down to around 550ish in park and when I drop in gear it will die. If rpms are over 600 in park and I go to put in gear it does fine.

When I first start the truck and go down the road it feels a little better until it reaches operating temp and it starts to shift a little sooner and ecm starts doing its job.

So I think I need a tune but Dan at old school efi needs a .bin file from TunerPro RT before he can make me a tune for the truck.

The original engine had so much bottem end torque, and that seems like its gone so I want to bring that back since I use it as a 4x4 truck for towing and just putting around.

Back in the day I could drop the truck in gear and at idle rpm it would drive itself forward, now when I drop it in gear it will just sit there and idle it wont even budge forward.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 AM

If your cable looks just like the one in the pics, I am thinking the cable is failing. Before calling it dead however you should try un-installing it in Windows - Device Manager and then re-installing it.

By direct I meant it goes directly from USB to ALDL. Some older cables went from USB to serial and then used a second cable from serial to ALDL.

TunerPro RT uses data acquisition definition file .ADX that defines the ECMs data stream that comes in via the cable.
TunerPro RT when data logging will produce an .XDL data log file.
The .BIN file is the actual data that is programmed on the chip

So what Dan is looking for is for you to connect TunerPro RT using the correct .ADX file. When you do that you will log and produce a .XDL file to him. He will look at the .XDL file and produce a new .BIN file and load it onto a chip for you.

Just trying to clear that up since you used the .BIN incorrectly, unless you meant that he needs a copy of your existing chip file (.BIN) along with your scan log file.

So try un-installing the cable and then reinstalling it. Hopefully that will clear it up for you. If not it sounds like you might need a new cable..
Old 04-22-2014, 07:14 AM

If your cable looks just like the one in the pics, I am thinking the cable is failing. Before calling it dead however you should try un-installing it in Windows - Device Manager and then re-installing it.

By direct I meant it goes directly from USB to ALDL. Some older cables went from USB to serial and then used a second cable from serial to ALDL.

TunerPro RT uses data acquisition definition file .ADX that defines the ECMs data stream that comes in via the cable.
TunerPro RT when data logging will produce an .XDL data log file.
The .BIN file is the actual data that is programmed on the chip

So what Dan is looking for is for you to connect TunerPro RT using the correct .ADX file. When you do that you will log and produce a .XDL file to him. He will look at the .XDL file and produce a new .BIN file and load it onto a chip for you.

Just trying to clear that up since you used the .BIN incorrectly, unless you meant that he needs a copy of your existing chip file (.BIN) along with your scan log file.

So try un-installing the cable and then reinstalling it. Hopefully that will clear it up for you. If not it sounds like you might need a new cable..
Thank you for clearing that up. It makes more sense now. It is a direct cable.

Also, the cable works perfectly fine for Winaldl and it pulls data for me all the time. I use it constantly, especially over last weekend when i was trying to set IAC values to fix my idle issue.

I will try uninstalling and see if that helps.