DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Getting back into it

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Getting back into it

Due to circumstances I've neglected my ol Camaro for a few years. Just recently got her up and going after cleaning out the fuel tank, replacing fuel pump, sender unit and installing new injectors.

A few years back, I installed a ZIF socket on my 165 computer and starting burning chips with my pocket programmer. I was using Moates ECM 852 program to interface with the ECM (via a DIY MAX 232 high speed serial port gizmo) , GMECMEDIT 2.06 to modify the ARAP bin (w/WB logging hac), and as prev stated, using a pocket programmer to burn the chips. I'm also using the old DIY W/B with a L1H1 sensor.

My delima is the ol Winbook laptop I'm using to interface with the ECM is on its' last leg. Hinges are broken, batt is completely dead, floppy drive died and it takes a few tries to get it to boot.

Per the info on Moates.net, the laptop can't have USB ports and needs to be running Win98 or earlier. I've been looking around for a replacement laptop like that, but they are really hard to find. Guess they have all been tossed out by now.

It's looking like a newer laptop will have to be used, but I'd like to keep costs down as much as possible.

Also, my DIY W/B is reading 2.50 volts all the time. I believe the L1H1 sensor heater died. I ohm'ed the heater and I'm getting like 7 megaohms or so. I thought those L1H1 (and L2H2/L3H3) sensors were expensive back then. They have apparently went up even more!

I been snooping around the site for a few days and noticed there's a lot of new stuff floating around. Just not sure which way to go..
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thx!!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:42 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 GTA
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Getting back into it

I'd say forget burning chips and get the Ostrich, then you just need something to datalog with, Tunerpro is perfect for that.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Supreme Member

Thx for the reply.
I see on Moates site there's a serial/usb adapter. Anyone know if that will allow me to connect via USB using the ECM-852 s/w??

The tunerpro s/w looks tempting, but I'm not sure the W/B data can be incorporated into the datastream and read out as A/F ratio. I really love that feature,, it helps to keep the car on the road since I'm not constantly glancing at the voltmeter and converting voltage to A/F in my head while at full throttle.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 PM
TGO Supporter

The tunerpro s/w looks tempting, but I'm not sure the W/B data can be incorporated into the datastream and read out as A/F ratio
I found this but AJUP:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...-released.html

Here is TP V5:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...er-pro-v5.html

From TP site:

Additional TunerPro RT Features

TunerPro RT includes all of the features of the free version of TunerPro, plus:

Emulation functionality - Fully supports nearly all of Craig Moates's hardware as well as XTronics Romulator, and Bob Bailey's MAF Translator Pro, with plug-ins available for other hardware
In-editor support for burning and reading PROMs with Craig Moates's Flash & Burn and AutoProm.
Simultaneously emulate and data log using AutoProm or serial->USB converter
Multiple emulator support for 16-bit applications
Real-time data monitoring and logging - record to file for later playback
Fully customizable dashboard and data graphing for easy viewing of real-time data in-car
View/Log 3 additional channels of A/D (WBO2, etc) using the AutoProm Easily view engine parameters and state information via dockable tab windows
View real-time data history in multi-series side scrolling charts
Plot real-time data trends using histograms

Last edited by Ronny; 06-21-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

Tuner Pro is highly modifiable, when it comes to the datalog side of it (in addition to other features). The datalogging files (ADX) can be edited by the user to suit the actual datastream that is being sent out via the ALDL, including WBO2 hacks, among others.

It's a very good program, one that I've been using for years.

As far as hardware goes, I'm not familar with the WB you have, but there are quite a few WBs on the market now that are sub $200 for a complete package that includes a gauge or display, and some have extra inputs, if you want to use them in a standalone datalogging set-up. One of my favorites is from 14point7.com, they have the SLC_DIY (v2), that has a built in display and several extra inputs that include RPM, manifold pressure, EGT, etc, some require addition sensors. There is also the iDash, that has the option for up to two WB sensors, and somewhere around 20 other inputs that sensd info to a smart phone, in addition to datalogging it, along with other products.

As mentioned earlier, the Ostrich, an EPROM Emulator is a very good tool for replaceing EPROM re-programming. This speeds up the tuning process, and ce be used as a complete EPROM replacement. I have used one in my car for 4 years without issue.

I haven't used the serial to USB adapter on the Moates site, personally, but it seems that many people have used it with success. I personally like products that have native USB connectivity, it saves needing extra cables and adapters. This is why I use the Moates ALDU1, and the 14point7.com SLC_DIY, along with the Ostrich, all have native USB connectivity.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Supreme Member

I'm currently feeding my DIY-WB02 vout to Pin D8 (TPS2, A/D channel 0) on the
1227165 ECM. Would Tuner Pro convert the vout to an A/F ratio (and display it in the data-stream) or would would I still need to use the ARAP.bin file with the WB-02 hac?

The vout gets drawn down a little bit when connected to the ecm and I would like to offset it up slightly. I'm not sure if Tuner Pro has that capability or not.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

You will still need to use the patched bin. That is what allows the voltage from the WBO2 sensor to be shown in the ALDL datastream.

Tuner Pro is highly customizable, so yes the WBO2 voltage can be shown as AFR on the dashboard.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Supreme Member

Thx for all the replies. I now have TunerproRT up and going now. Getting the WB02 to display is my next challenge. I've started another thread for that.