DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

New to EPROM Buring. Too many Dead links....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Iroc-Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
New to EPROM Buring. Too many Dead links....

So I've been trying to figure out what I need to do to read, edit and burn my own EPROM for my 88 IROC.

I've been going through the stickies and various guides, but I'm running into so many dead links and outdated info I gotta try to ask for some clarity here.

SO far, This what I have gathered.

My cars Factory ECU is 1227165. The EPROM chips I can use are 27C128

I need a Reader/Burner. FOr this I think I'll go with a BURN2 unit. Seems reasonable priced and has good reviews.

Since my car is an 88, I have a Memcal unit. so when I order the BURN2, I should just get the GP1 Kit from Moates as well. It comes with two 27SF512 chips, an 'S2' ZIF socket, and a G1 adapter. 27SF512 chips will work just fine in place of the 27C128's.

TunerPro RT Software will interface with the BURN2 Reader/Programmer so I can get my Bin File.

This is where it gets hazy for me....

Can I do all the Editing inside TunerPro RT as well? Most stickies and guides seem to indicate I need a different program to edit the BIN file.

I'm also still confused on the whole Prom Chip, MEMCal, G1 Adapter, ZIF Socket stuff.

With the GP1 Kit, will I need to do any Soldering or Desoldering? Does the G1 Board plug into the computer and then let me bypass the factory PROM? Do I need the HDR1 Header Adapter Moates sells as well?

I'm not afraid to bust out the Soldering iron if need be. I'm pretty good with the iron, but if it can be avoided, I'm all for that.

I really like the idea of tuning the ECU myself. THis will let me make upgrades as I can afford them and keep the car tuned properly without sending out for a new chip every few months. I am a programmer by trade, so this stuff looks pretty basic to me in that regard, bust need to get all the hardware stuff straight in my head at this point.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 75 Beast
Engine: 383 +EBL Flash
Axle/Gears: 4.11 with 33"
Re: New to EPROM Buring. Too many Dead links....

Q:
Can I do all the Editing inside TunerPro RT as well? Most stickies and guides seem to indicate I need a different program to edit the BIN file.

A: Absolutely - this is what TPrt is great for.

I'm also still confused on the whole Prom Chip, MEMCal, G1 Adapter, ZIF Socket stuff.

Q:
With the G1 Kit, will I need to do any Soldering or Desoldering?

A: Yes, you'll have to remove existing EPROM/MEMCAL assembly (blue covered module) from ECM PCB. Before installing G1 adapter I would replace non ZIF (zero insertion force) socket with low profile ZIF socket. ZIF makes chip removal and installation easier - less of a chance to bent or break leads. This is were soldering comes in. Alternatively, contact Moates and ask him if he can install ZIF into G1.

Q:
Does the G1 Board plug into the computer and then let me bypass the factory PROM?

A: G1 plugs into ECM (aka computer) and factory EPROM is not used - correct.

Q:
Do I need the HDR1 Header Adapter Moates sells as well?

A:
Do not have an answer on this one.

If you programmer - this should be straight forward, but there is a learning curve.

//RF
Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by RFmaster
Q:

A: Absolutely - this is what TPrt is great for.
cool.

Q:
With the G1 Kit, will I need to do any Soldering or Desoldering?

A: Yes, you'll have to remove existing EPROM/MEMCAL assembly (blue covered module) from ECM PCB. Before installing G1 adapter I would replace non ZIF (zero insertion force) socket with low profile ZIF socket. ZIF makes chip removal and installation easier - less of a chance to bent or break leads. This is were soldering comes in. Alternatively, contact Moates and ask him if he can install ZIF into G1.
Looks like the GP1 kit comes with a ZIF Socket already on the G1 adapter. http://www.moates.net/gp1-package-gm...hips-p-41.html

Soldering still involved?

Q:
Does the G1 Board plug into the computer and then let me bypass the factory PROM?

A: G1 plugs into ECM (aka computer) and factory EPROM is not used - correct.

Q:
Do I need the HDR1 Header Adapter Moates sells as well?

A:
Do not have an answer on this one.
I think the HDR1 is only used of you are retaining the factory EPROM chip. Thats what it seems anyway.
http://www.moates.net/hdr1-memcal-he....html?cPath=64

If you programmer - this should be straight forward, but there is a learning curve.

//RF
Totally anticipate the learning curve. Wouldnt be much fun without it right?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Supreme Member

With GP1 no soldering is involved - I am used to G1 and installing my own low profile ZIF sockets.

You do not need HDR1 unless you absolutely set on reading a copy of your existing BIN image. Just a download a copy from Moates BIN library that has the same BCC as your MEMCAL

Burn2 is on back order until end of Oct according to Moates website. Recently I have upgraded to GQ-4X from MCUmall. Nice programmer - reader with a lot more capabilities then Burn2. Something to consider.

//RF
Old 10-06-2011, 11:52 PM

With GP1 no soldering is involved - I am used to G1 and installing my own low profile ZIF sockets.

You do not need HDR1 unless you absolutely set on reading a copy of your existing BIN image. Just a download a copy from Moates BIN library that has the same BCC as your MEMCAL

Burn2 is on back order until end of Oct according to Moates website. Recently I have upgraded to GQ-4X from MCUmall. Nice programmer - reader with a lot more capabilities then Burn2. Something to consider.

//RF

Not that much more expensive. I'll probably grab that one then as well. 40 pin socket could come in handy for other applications.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:04 AM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 HSR $8D
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I highly recommend just splurging and getting a Ostrich while you are at it. Allows quick flashes of programs to the module on the fly. No need to remove chips and hook them back up. 175 dollars well spent in my opinion and what, a hundred or so over the price of a PROM burner? I haven't actually burned a chip in years. Money well invested.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by gsf-87IROC
I highly recommend just splurging and getting a Ostrich while you are at it. Allows quick flashes of programs to the module on the fly. No need to remove chips and hook them back up. 175 dollars well spent in my opinion and what, a hundred or so over the price of a PROM burner? I haven't actually burned a chip in years. Money well invested.

Interesting. So the Ostrich stays in the vehicle? Can you go into a little more detail on how that works?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS (730,$8D,G3,AP,4K,S_V4)
Engine: 406 Hyd Roller 236/242
Transmission: 700R4 HomeBrew, 2.4K stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi, 7.5 Soon to break

Basically installs anywhere and a ribbon cable connects to the G1 where the PROM would be located. You just edit your bin file and upload changes to the Ostrich and it runs as if it were the chip.

Also on any use of the G1 adapters, you still need to put your factory MEMCAL on the end of the adapter.
The PROM on the MEMCAL is bypassed but the other fuctions still work.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by JP86SS
Basically installs anywhere and a ribbon cable connects to the G1 where the PROM would be located. You just edit your bin file and upload changes to the Ostrich and it runs as if it were the chip.

Also on any use of the G1 adapters, you still need to put your factory MEMCAL on the end of the adapter.
The PROM on the MEMCAL is bypassed but the other fuctions still work.

Interesting. Being a programmer, the Burn2 (Or GQ-4x) are very appealing due to the fact that I can use the reader/Burner for lots of applications... but realistically, I'd only use it for my car anyway.

Thanks for info. I'll seriously consider it.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Just to give you the warm fuzzy....

This is how the installed G1 adapter with MEMCAL looks like inside of TBI 7427 PCM. The original EPROM was removed and read - I wanted to have an image of the bin file. A low profile ZIF socket was installed so that access bay cover can be installed - gives that finished look instead of IC protruding out of the PCM enclosure.

Name:  IMG_1240-2.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  149.9 KB

If you consider getting an Ostrich make sure to get newer 2.0 version that it supports emulation of larger ROM sizes.

//RF
Old 10-17-2011, 09:51 PM

ok, I'm about ready to order at this point and I'm still confused.

I think the Ostrich is the way to go. I just wont use the burner for anything else and the ability to tune without taking the car apart is extremely appealing to me.

Should I still get the GP1 or is the G1 sufficient since I'm not going to be removing and reinserting the chip at all?

Do I need anything else to be able to see real time ECM info? Talking about stuff like TPS voltage and other sensor reading.
All my laptops are USB only. DO I need a special USB to serial adaptor? looks like the Ostrich plugs right into the COmputer via USB, but do I still need to be able to connect to the ALDL connector for reading data?

Just want to make sure I get everything I need in order to monitor, tune and "burn".
Old 10-19-2011, 11:45 AM

OK, I emailed Moates and I'm going back to the original plan. He recommended the APU1 for me.

I just dont want to get into the $400 range on this. I have one car, I'm going to be doing basic bolt on type mods sparingly as funds allow. the Burn2 System will do what I need, Its cheap.

I'll get the GP1 kit still. and then add the ALDU1 w/ CAB1 so I can do datalogging

THis setup puts me at $220. Much easier to swallow.

now, I'm on to BIN files, XDF Files, and Datastream Definitions.

Using the BCC lookup spreadsheet, Looks like stock BIN file woul dbe one of these
AKFP
AKFR
AKHB
AKHC

Of course, Moates doesnt have any of those listed in the stock bin file directory.

Is there another BIN file I can start with? Or should I get the HDR adaptor and suck my stock BIN file out of the PROM?

I cant seem to find a cross reference for the Datastreams or XDF files.

According to diy-efi.org I need the A028 datastream file. But these are .DS files and I assume are not compatable with Tunerpro RT

If you could point me in the direction of the right files I need to obtain, I would greatly apreciate it.

1988 iroc-z 305TPI, 700R4, GU5 3.23 Posi rear end.

I do want to delete the 9th Injector as well so maybe I just want to start with a 1989 BIN?
Old 10-19-2011, 01:50 PM

Car: 89 K3500 Fleetside
Engine: RAT *tbi* EBL
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 3.73-Dana 60

Did you look here?

http://eagle-mark.com/pictures/thumbnails.php?album=34
Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by xch3no2
I did find that site as well... no love there either. I guess I have a oddly optioned car.....
Old 01-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 Tuned Port Injection, for now.
Axle/Gears: Posi - 3.23

Just to give you the warm fuzzy....

This is how the installed G1 adapter with MEMCAL looks like inside of TBI 7427 PCM. The original EPROM was removed and read - I wanted to have an image of the bin file. A low profile ZIF socket was installed so that access bay cover can be installed - gives that finished look instead of IC protruding out of the PCM enclosure.

If you consider getting an Ostrich make sure to get newer 2.0 version that it supports emulation of larger ROM sizes.

//RF
Where did you get that low profile zif socket? looks different than the Moates one.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

Originally Posted by Impaqt
I did find that site as well... no love there either. I guess I have a oddly optioned car.....
Make a post over there, we have more bin files to sort through and the ones you are looking for might be in that pile of bins.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

I got from a local surplus electronic place (no longer in business - closed last summer ) As an alternative Aries Electronics has a low profile series 526 Lo-PRO ZIF sockets only 0.265" high! These can be sourced from Newark Electronics or Mouser Electronics

Aries Part number: 28-526-10
Mouser # 535-28-526-10 $10.61/each, in stock

//RF
Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 PM

Car: 89 K3500 Fleetside
Engine: RAT *tbi* EBL
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 3.73-Dana 60

I get lost for days in the Allied catalog, saw some zif sockets there once.

http://www.alliedelec.com/
Old 01-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Supreme Member

Re: New to EPROM Burning. Too many Dead links....

Originally Posted by xch3no2
That link has changed. There is a major dump of all bins and files we had collected in an easier to use format here:
http://gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/

But ECM are separated by ECM number and mask. Like this is for 1227165 $6E
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-6E

also one for $32, $32b etc you need to know what mask?

Since you'll be using TunerPro we now have a TunerPro Look up! That will be updated monthly to keep track of files, find what mask you have and what TunerPro files you need, where to find them and if wiring or bins are available in Excel spreadsheet.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...lookup-Project

What bin do you need? Although they should all be in link above I may still have it on my computer?

I love my AutoProm! Does it all! Record data, burn chip and emulate from your bin file on laptop through TunerPro, make changes in bin live! When your done burn a final chip. Also has extra inputs for wide band so you can add a value in TuerPro and get wideband data in same log, on same screen.

Quit trying to save .50 cents or a buck on a zif or chip and buy stuff that is quality proven and support a company that gives us what we need!