DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

New to DynamicEFI tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to DynamicEFI tuning

I posted in another thread but it seemed I may have been stepping on toes so, I thought I would just go ahead and start this thread. Ok, so I made progress in a couple areas. First off, I went ahead and got the EBL/ECM. second,My knock sensor problem is solved, with this ECM I needed to use the Knock Filter (which was built into my old PCM) so I am not getting any Knock codes.. I am however still dealing with this SURGING at idle. I have- replaced IAC, TPS, checked for vacuum leaks: none, replaced the ignition module, took off the TBI: cleaned it and put new gaskets on, pulled the EGR valve: tested it, checked the ports for buildup, reinstalled with new gasket, changed the MAP sensor, Fuel pressure does not very from 12psi, the only change from the stock motor are the block hugger headers. Now here is the weird thing, when I pull the timing advance connector and it drops right to 0*, it smooths out but the O2's go through the roof (I will double check this as it may be when I pull the vac), also when I pull off the vacuum control from the break booster it smooths out ..RBob mentioned in another thread that a Lean idle can create a surge, I am thinking that there may be something I can change in the ECM, either timing advance at idle or maybe adjust the fuel/air mixture setting at idle.. I did not want to start making radical changes right away (not really knowing what I am doing) I can muddle around the TunerPro program but again I have only had it a couple days so I thought I would check here for ideas. Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated....

Thanks!!! Phat
Old 03-19-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: New to DynamicEFI tuning

Surging at idle. Sounds like too much spark timing. Not knowing anything about the engine I can't help much. Most important thing is to match the spark table to the heads and cam.

The L03 and L05 engine use swirl port heads. These take very little spark advance.

RBob.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
Surging at idle. Sounds like too much spark timing. Not knowing anything about the engine I can't help much. Most important thing is to match the spark table to the heads and cam.

The L03 and L05 engine use swirl port heads. These take very little spark advance.

RBob.
That's what I thought, it is a stock 5.7L out of a 1993 Suburban, I do not think anything has been done to it other than the headers I installed but I do not know for sure.. Should I just lower the timing with the distributor adjustment or should try and adjust it in TunerPro??
Old 03-19-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by phatfj
That's what I thought, it is a stock 5.7L out of a 1993 Suburban, I do not think anything has been done to it other than the headers I installed but I do not know for sure.. Should I just lower the timing with the distributor adjustment or should try and adjust it in TunerPro??
Did you use an L05 calibration? The base calibration is for the older style SBC heads, which use more timing.

The distributor base setting and the calibrations "SA - Initial SA" need to match. Then use the main & extended SA tables to change the timing.

RBob.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:41 AM

Did you use an L05 calibration? The base calibration is for the older style SBC heads, which use more timing.

The distributor base setting and the calibrations "SA - Initial SA" need to match. Then use the main & extended SA tables to change the timing.

RBob.
Thanks RBob, yes I did use an L05 calibration, I was surprised to see the SA up around 16* at idle. I did take it out for a couple of "learn" drives and they went well. Then I adjusted the main SA tables, brought the SA down around 2 to 6* range for the low end then I smoothed them out with the graph. this really helped the idle and it seems to perform well. One thing I noticed and I am assuming that this is standard. After I adjusted the SA table, I took it for more test drives, put it back into a learn mode and it changed all of the SA tables back to the original, is this what it is supposed to do? Is there a setting that I am overlooking? I still need to do some tweaking but I am quite happy with the ease of use and flexibility of this product!!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 AM

I think you are confusing the SA and VE tables. The learn only affects the VE tables. Which is fueling.

The 16* at idle is normal. Note that at idle the SA is not always taken from the main SA table. When this option is checked (set):

Option Word 2 - Bit 1 - IdlSa

The idle SA is from this constant:

SA - Idle State SA

As you work the main SA table the Idle State SA should be changed to match the main table in the area that the engine idles. This is done to provide a smooth transition from idle SA to off-idle SA.

RBob.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 PM

I think you are confusing the SA and VE tables. The learn only affects the VE tables. Which is fueling.

The 16* at idle is normal. Note that at idle the SA is not always taken from the main SA table. When this option is checked (set):

Option Word 2 - Bit 1 - IdlSa

The idle SA is from this constant:

SA - Idle State SA

As you work the main SA table the Idle State SA should be changed to match the main table in the area that the engine idles. This is done to provide a smooth transition from idle SA to off-idle SA.

RBob.
Hi Bob, I sent you an e-mail @ Dynamic, please let me know what you think...

thanks, Phat
Old 03-23-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 one wheel peel

I think I understand what happened to your SA tables. When you start a VE learn, you have to choose which .bin file it will learn "from" and name a new one for it to save "too".

If you adjusted the SA tables and then did another learn, did you make sure to update it to learn "from" the bin with the new SA tables? Or did it naturally go back to the last learn file?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by slow_90firebird
I think I understand what happened to your SA tables. When you start a VE learn, you have to choose which .bin file it will learn "from" and name a new one for it to save "too".

If you adjusted the SA tables and then did another learn, did you make sure to update it to learn "from" the bin with the new SA tables? Or did it naturally go back to the last learn file?
I think you are exactly correct.. I think I may have been learning from the old bin and saving to a new one therfore bringing in the origional SA table.. I will try to make sure I am saving to the correct file..
Old 03-23-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 one wheel peel

It's not what file you save to that matters. It's the file you learn from.

Ideally the file you should select to learn from would be the one in the current flashbank you are running.

What the ve learn does is copy all the data from the bin you select to learn "from" (ex. Camaro_0003.bin) directly into the new file (ex. Camaro_0004.bin) but it modifies the ve tables to run better.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by phatfj
Hi Bob, I sent you an e-mail @ Dynamic, please let me know what you think...

thanks, Phat
I looked at the data log and BIN and emailed back to you. Runs really lean. For our readers, we discovered that there are 4.3l 46#/hr injectors in the TBI unit.

RBob.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:31 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ex. Camaro_0004.bin)
I have been labeling mine by date. then a note to what I may have changed in .bin.

Like 04012011addedae.bin or 04022011addediacsteps.bin
Old 03-24-2011, 05:07 PM

Thanks guys for the advise on the logging!! I wanted to follow up. As RBob mentioned, HE determined that it was running lean (it had 4.3L injectors in it) which I think was also contributing to the surging at idle.. So I found a pair of injectors out of another 5.7L at a local pick and pull yard. I installed them, adjusted the BPCvsVAC settings per RBob's suggestions and took it for another test drive.. WOW what a difference!! It is running and idling better than is has.. I have asked RBob now if I should start over with a stock L05 setting or continue from here... I really appreciate all the suggestions and help!!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:35 PM

Yes I answered my own dumb question... I started with a fresh L05 bin and am working from there... The good news is, I think it is going to go much smoother!!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:42 PM

Car: 1981 GMC Jimmy
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: TH350 soon to be 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Phatfj, now that you've played around with the EBL for a while what do you think of it? I'm considering ordering one up in the next couple days.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by nick9004
Phatfj, now that you've played around with the EBL for a while what do you think of it? I'm considering ordering one up in the next couple days.
I can't think of a better way to go!! The product is FANTASTIC and the support is even better!! The fact that I do not have to burn and replace chips or have them burned for me is really great. I have done several VE learns, I am up to about 15mpg in the city running 33" tires. I am now using the ECM's fan control, the WUD is great to keep an eye on stats. To make a long story shorter, I am VERY pleased with my choice and I don't think you would regret it one bit.. Good luck with your choice..

Phat
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM

Car: 88 GMC C1500
Engine: vortec 350, LT4 HotCam
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

Nick,

I purchased the EBL back in 2009 and I dont have a single regret. Adding to what Phat said, the support is unparalleled. Tuning without the EBL is like living in the stone age. This is an extremely versatile and well designed solution. I have yet failed to find resolution to tune issues in this forum or from RBob directly.

That said, there is alot to learn and I am still learning myself so I dont want to mislead you that its a plug and play approach like some of the OBDII based ECM out of the box products out there for newer vehicles.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I just started working again so I'm recovering from school financially then I'll be ordering mine. Did you guys buy the Wide Band set up from Dynamic aswell?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 PM

88GMC, I built my TBI engine a year and a half ago. I bought the Burn2 from Moates, its a good little burner but when my ALDL cable quit working I decided its time... Burning chips SUCKS! Its so frustrating driving... tuning...burning...installing the chip...starting the engine....driving... EBL sounds like a great solution...

All the guys on the 4x4 sites that say GM TBI is plug and play are silly... mine plug and play ran like a detonating Toyota Tercel...and my build was only slightly better than stock. lol It sucked!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 AM
TGO Supporter

I did not buy from Dynamic. Only because it was not sold by RBob at the time. I would suggest you buy from Dynamic/RBob.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10

I have a ZR-1 with an LT5 DOHC. RBob doesn't make an EBL that will work w my motor. So I am planning on selling the car and buying an 84 Xfire just so I can use an EBL again! HAHAHAHAHA!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 AM
TGO Supporter

What then are you going to use? TunerPro with RT? Ostrich?

Considered MS?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10

Originally Posted by Ronny
What then are you going to use? TunerPro with RT? Ostrich?

Considered MS?
Ronny,

Using Ostrich/TPRT/Zeitronix WB.
Haven't looked into MS or FAST. No need to.
The LT5 has incredible potential. With just a ported plenum, injector housings and headers, I was putting down 400rwhp
I have just recently installed ported heads and a more aggressive pair of intake cams. I'm expecting around 450rwhp @ 6900rpm.
Nice street car. And yet it can idle at 750-800rpm.
The top end is really amazing to feel.