DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Making Tuning Faster and Easier

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Car: 84 El Camino
Engine: 360 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 + Truetrac, Moser 28 Spline
Making Tuning Faster and Easier

New S_AUJP v5 Version Available
A new version of the Log File Analyzer compatible with S_AUJP v5 is available here:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...-log-file.html
This new Analyzer is also compatible with BINs prior to S_AUJP v5.

Update 11/23/2012 -- New AUJP v2 to S_AUJP v4 Log File Analyzer posted here:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...r-program.html

Original Post ------
I’ve received much help from this forum, so thought it appropriate to give something back that might be helpful. I’m far less knowledgeable than many here, but hopefully this post will help in the search for tuning efficiencies.

After digesting as much information as possible about Closed Loop tuning on this and other related forums, there appeared to be a lot of theory presented along with much information on how to tune; but there did not appear to be many tools available for analyzing and organizing logged data to make it quickly and easily usable for making tuning adjustments. So I set out to develop an Excel spreadsheet that would read an Excel formatted data log file and present BLM Table and Volumetric Efficiency (VE) Table data in a way that made sense to me.

I hope it will do the same for you. There is no pride of authorship. If you can offer changes, corrections, etc. please do it.

There are 3 attached zip files:
  • the Excel spreadsheet file (Formula file) referenced above (Formula File.zip)
  • a small, sample data log file [data.xls in Sample Data File.zip] that can be read and analyzed by the Formula file.
  • a Word document that describes in detail how it can be used to significantly speed analysis of logged data and speed the time required to tune (How to Use Formula file.zip).
Note that you must extract the zipped .xls files into a folder and open them from within Excel. The Formula file cannot find the included data log file if opened from within the zip file. If they are opened from within the zip file, the Formula file will display “REF!” in all calculated cells.

Summary
The Formula file reads logged TunerPro RT (TPRT) data in Excel format, or Excel-formatted data from any other logging program, and presents it in a way that matches the layout of the:
- BLM Table, and
- VE Tables

Here’s a summary of what it does:
1. For each BLM Cell 0-15:
Average, Median, Minimum and Maximum values are
provided for
- BLM
- RPM
- Manifold Pressure (kPa)

2. For each range of RPMs in the VE Tables:
Average, Median, Minimum and Maximum values are
provided for
- BLM
- Manifold Pressure (kPa)

3. Factors are also provided by which selected RPM ranges
of the VE Tables can be adjusted to arrive at a desired
BLM of 128 for a given kPa.

Bottom line, tuning adjustments can be made to the VE Tables quickly and easily because the data needed for changes are laid out in manner similar to how those tables are organized.

Last edited by 84Elky; 03-10-2015 at 08:41 PM. Reason: FILES REMOVED-Significantly updated version to be posted soon in a new thread
Old 11-22-2010, 10:58 PM

Re: Making Tuning Faster and Easier

Files were updated today. The main change is the Formula File. A section was added to allow fine tuning of Closed Loop idle in the VE Table.

Cars using VSS and reporting BLM Cell 4 Values at idle will likely notice logged BLM Cell 4 values at RPMs significantly higher than the normal idle range at 0% TPS during deceleration. It’s possible that BLMs can be significantly different at these RPMs than in the normal idle range.

This new table reports Average, Median, Min and Max BLM values in increments of 100 RPM from 400 – 2000 RPM, where TPS % = 0 and the data is being reported for BLM Cell 4.

Also, calculations for Average, Median, Min and Max RPM, BLM and KPA for BLM Cell 4 were adjusted to eliminate erroneous BLM Cell 4 data where RPM is > 2,000. This can occur with an engine using headers without a heated O2 sensor while at low speeds. This condition may generate insufficient heat for the O2 sensor such that Closed Loop is not exited, but the ECM reports Closed Loop data in BLM Cell 4. This condition can persist until sufficient heat is provided to the sensor through acceleration and/or higher RPM.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 w/TransGo
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt w/3.73s

Will these Excel files work with data from a MAF equipped engine?
Old 11-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 310ci (LB9)
Transmission: Custom Rebuilt 700R4 - 2600 Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Eaton Limited-Slip

Doubt it. He's talking about Volumetric Efficiency which is used in speed density TPI systems.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:47 AM

MikeT 88IROC350 – Like hellz_wings said, the VE data will not be of any help for MAF, but the BLM data will be valid and will tell you in which cells you are rich/lean. Also with the data, you can adjust the RPM/kPa cell boundaries in the ECM based on logged data, and then change them in the Formula File to match. Making these changes sometimes helps smooth transitions from cell-to-cell.

Last edited by 84Elky; 11-25-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 11-26-2010, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by 84Elky
MikeT 88IROC350 – Like hellz_wings said, the VE data will not be of any help for MAF, but the BLM data will be valid and will tell you in which cells you are rich/lean. Also with the data, you can adjust the RPM/kPa cell boundaries in the ECM based on logged data, and then change them in the Formula File to match. Making these changes sometimes helps smooth transitions from cell-to-cell.
I will still take a look at the sheets. I always like playing with new tools that help make like easier.

I looked at the files, and they are all corrupted. Can you re-post them?

Last edited by MikeT 88IROC350; 11-29-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-01-2010, 04:01 PM

I know the files are not corrupted as I can download them and follow the procedure(s) below to extract the files. JT (overall Moderator for site problems, etc.) and I have been discussing this and I believe there is a problem being created by the TGO Web site. I’ll explain that later below.

But before that, you will need something other than the native program provided by Windows (eg – will need WinZip or 7-Zip) as Windows does not always remove a GZip compression wrapper that some download sites (TGO) use to make files smaller. Don’t know why, but some machines remove it and some don’t. I have 2 machines and neither removes it and apparently yours does not. JT’s machine apparently does, and that’s why he does not see the problem. Many posts on internet about this issue, and there is no apparent solution other than that below.

Anyway, 2 ways to do get to the files.

If using 7-Zip (Great GNU freeware that will open any compressed file, including those with a GZip compression wrapper—just Google for it and install it):
- Right click downloaded file and select “Open With”
- Select of Browse for the 7Zip file manager (7zFM.exe)
- Select OK and it will automatically strip the GZip layer and present the file that is encased in the wrapper.
- Click on the listed file and it will open

If using WinZip:
- Rename downloaded file to *.gz (identifying it as a GZip compressed file).
- Repeat the steps above to “Open With” WinZip
- Here, you will get a window asking that you enter the full name of the file contained in the archive “Filename.gz”. Add “.zip” (without the quotes) to the end of the text displayed it the window.
- Click OK and “Filename.zip” will now be displayed by WinZip
- Click on Filename.zip and it will open, or you can extract it.

Really a pain I know, but there’s no question that the zip files I uploaded are encased in a GZip wrapper and I know I didn’t add it because the files were zipped using Win XP’s feature to compress files. Moreover, I can immediately unzip them after they are zipped. But after they are uploaded and then downloaded, they are GZip compressed. Further to the fact that my zip files are encased in a GZip wrapper is the message you are likely getting when the file does not open. I’ll bet it says: “The Compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupted.”
Note it says “Folder” and not file. That’s because the zip file I uploaded is now encased (wrapped) in a GZip wrapper. So the GZip wrapper is the “folder” that contains the zip file. That’s why the above methods work to extract/open the zip file.

Sorry for the length, but I plan to send this to JT and want him to see the details.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:42 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 261 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeT 88IROC350

I looked at the files, and they are all corrupted. Can you re-post them?
Can you tell me exactly what the issue is? Corrupt as in you cannot download them, or corrupt as in they download and you cannot open them?

I was able to download all 3 files and open each of them. They appear fine to me. Two are viewed in Excel and the other are viewed in Word.

I'm using Windows XP SP3 with IE 8 for this test. I used Windows native Unzip utility to unzip the contents. What are you using?

As you can see, they appeared fine for me:

Attached Thumbnails Making Tuning Faster and Easier-elkyfile1.jpg   Making Tuning Faster and Easier-elkyfile2.jpg   Making Tuning Faster and Easier-elkyfile3.jpg  
Old 12-02-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by JT
Can you tell me exactly what the issue is? Corrupt as in you cannot download them, or corrupt as in they download and you cannot open them?

I was able to download all 3 files and open each of them. They appear fine to me. Two are viewed in Excel and the other are viewed in Word.

I'm using Windows XP SP3 with IE 8 for this test. I used Windows native Unzip utility to unzip the contents. What are you using?

As you can see, they appeared fine for me:
I can download the files fine. When I try open(unzip) them, I get the exact error message mentioned above from elky. I am running Win XP SP3 home edition. I guess I just need to download some other unzipper program.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:19 AM
JT
Community Administrator

Seems it may be related to IE. I said I used IE above, when I meant Firefox.

When I download them via using IE 8, and then try to open them, I receive a corrupt error.

However, when I download them with Firefox, and attempt to open them, I'm able to view contents normally.

I can download the files fine. When I try open(unzip) them, I get the exact error message mentioned above from elky. I am running Win XP SP3 home edition. I guess I just need to download some other unzipper program.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:32 AM

Received 220 Likes on 206 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by JT

When I download them via using IE 8, and then try to open them, I receive a corrupt error.

However, when I download them with Firefox, and attempt to open them, I'm able to view contents normally.
The issue with IE has been going on for some time now. At least a year or two. My guess is that uSoft is trying to protect folks by not allowing zip files (or others) to be downloaded from forums/web sites.

Another example of this is gmail (googles email). A zip file is not allowed as an attachment. The email will bounce back. I've seen other mail servers trash the contents of a zip file if it contains an executable.

RBob.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 310ci (LB9)
Transmission: Custom Rebuilt 700R4 - 2600 Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Eaton Limited-Slip

I think where it says #REF in excel cells it means that you need to stretch the row length to be longer to fit the number in there.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:55 PM

It says #REF! because the Formula File and the log file to be analyzed must both be opened from within Excel. It's a Microsoft issue. Without a log file to look at, the Formula File does not know what to do and shows #REF! indicating there is a cell reference that cannot be found.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by JT

I dont understand what/why the browser has anything to do with the download. You would think a download is a download, no matter what browser you have. Now the unzipper program that you use is another issue.
And yes, I am using IE 8.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro Z28
Engine: ZZ4 TPI

Beginner questions here what is sheet name and where do I find it on a tunerpro v5 log file? I noticed that my log files have the Blm cell, Blm value, RPM, Kpa, and Tps% in different columns than the sample data file will this affect the result. Also when I input the Kpa in D20 it post atE20 and E21.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by profootbrake2
Beginner questions here what is sheet name and where do I find it on a tunerpro v5 log file? I noticed that my log files have the Blm cell, Blm value, RPM, Kpa, and Tps% in different columns than the sample data file will this affect the result. Also when I input the Kpa in D20 it post atE20 and E21.
A new Formula File.zip was uploaded today that corrects the error of entering something in D20 and having it "post at E20 and E21" (it actually posted in E19 and E20). Thanks for pointing this out. Cut & past error.

Addressing your other questions in order:
  • The sheet name is the name of the Excel Worksheet. It is found at the botton left of your log file while viewing it in Excel. Remember that the log file must be either a .csv file (as exported by TunerPro [TP]), or any other file recognized by Excel (eg - *.xls). The sheet name of a TP exported log will have the same name as your .csv file. For example, if you named your log file 'Log.csv' when when you exported it from TP, the sheet name assigned by TP is 'Log'.
  • You can have the items (columns) in any order in the log file. If the log file came from TunerPro (and you have not changed the column heading titles TP provides), the Formula File will automatically find what it needs. If using other than TP, or if column heading titles have been changed, then the columns containing the data need to be entered in cells D16-20.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:39 PM

I dont understand what/why the browser has anything to do with the download. You would think a download is a download, no matter what browser you have. Now the unzipper program that you use is another issue.
And yes, I am using IE 8.
Yes, a download is a download, but the TGO server is (or 'was' if JT has changed it recently) adding a GZip comperssion layer to all files it stores when uploaded, or when they are downloaded. Matters not how or when it's applied; many servers are configured this way. This effectively places the downloaded file in a wrapper and at a smaller size than the original uploaded file. Even a zip file is further compressed.

Unfortunately, many Windows systems using their native Windows Explorer unzip routines see this Gzip wrapper on a downlaoded file as a folder, and not as the underlying file, and they barf. In the case of a zip file encased in a Gzip wrapper, a failing system will produce the message: “The Compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupted.” Note the use of 'folder' and not 'file'. There are no known settings to corrrect a failing system (many internet posts on this issue). The only solution is for the server to turn off Gzip compression, or to use one of the alternative, more sophisticated, Unzip methods described in Post #7 above. Gotta love MSoft.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 PM
JT
Community Administrator

I did make a minor change to the attachment system; specifically for the zip extensions. After doing so, I was able to download the files with IE and open them with Windows' native zip utility. It appeared to me to resolve the issue being described above.

Originally Posted by 84Elky
Yes, a download is a download, but the TGO server is (or 'was' if JT has changed it recently) adding a GZip comperssion layer to all files it stores when uploaded, or when they are downloaded. Matters not how or when it's applied; many servers are configured this way. This effectively places the downloaded file in a wrapper and at a smaller size than the original uploaded file. Even a zip file is further compressed.

Unfortunately, many Windows systems using their native Windows Explorer unzip routines see this Gzip wrapper on a downlaoded file as a folder, and not as the underlying file, and they barf. In the case of a zip file encased in a Gzip wrapper, a failing system will produce the message: “The Compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupted.” Note the use of 'folder' and not 'file'. There are no known settings to corrrect a failing system (many internet posts on this issue). The only solution is for the server to turn off Gzip compression, or to use one of the alternative, more sophisticated, Unzip methods described in Post #7 above. Gotta love MSoft.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:55 PM

Thanks JT. Works like it should!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by JT
I did make a minor change to the attachment system; specifically for the zip extensions. After doing so, I was able to download the files with IE and open them with Windows' native zip utility. It appeared to me to resolve the issue being described above.
Yepper, just tried the downloads myself. All files opened up correct. Thanks much for fixing!
Now I will have to play with some of recorded data files. Only thing is that I have MAF data, so it will be fun.......
Old 12-18-2010, 03:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro Z28
Engine: ZZ4 TPI

84Elky Thanks for answering my questions. I was able to get it to work on some old logs that I made. The formula file will help a lot when I can get out and work on my car again this spring. Thanks again
Old 12-18-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by profootbrake2
84Elky Thanks for answering my questions. I was able to get it to work on some old logs that I made. The formula file will help a lot when I can get out and work on my car again this spring. Thanks again
Your'e welcome. Let me know how it works for you.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 PM

An updated Formula File.zip and How to Use the Formula File.zip have been posted.

This updated Formula File now allows entry of a Maximum Idle RPM value to ensure that BLM Cell 4 Value calculations exclude all data where the RPM exceeds the entered value. Previously, this value was hard coded to 2,000 RPM. This change is important for more accurately tuning idle RPM and kPa ranges in the Lower VE Table.

The following data are now excluded from BLM Cell 4 calculations:
  • during deceleration any time the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is reading 0% and RPM is above the entered Maximum Idle RPM.
  • during acceleration any time Enrich Power Mode (Wide Open Throttle) condition is reached when the ECM-set TPS%/RPM threshold is exceeded.
  • if you are running headers without a heated O2 sensor, and are logging at low RPM but above idle RPM. Here, it’s possible to briefly report BLM Cell 4 data while not actually idling if exhaust temperature at the O2 sensor drops below its operating threshold.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 PM

Car: 92 1LE B4C
Engine: 350
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42

Ok I think I'm just retarted but I can't get the Formula file to notice any of my logs.

Do I need to put the log files in a special place? Am I supposed to put c:/...... in there? I am running Office 2007 if that makes a dif. Everything is .xlsx.

Can some one help This looks like really great stuff and I really want to try it out. Thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by b4ccamaro
Ok I think I'm just retarted but I can't get the Formula file to notice any of my logs.

Do I need to put the log files in a special place? Am I supposed to put c:/...... in there? I am running Office 2007 if that makes a dif. Everything is .xlsx.

Can some one help This looks like really great stuff and I really want to try it out. Thanks
Sorry it’s not working for you. I don’t have Office 7, but don’t believe that’s the problem.

You don’t need “c:\” to identify the file, and the Formula File and the log file don’t need to be in the same folder. But below are the important issues. Try this and let me know what happens:
  • First load Excel
  • From within Excel, first open the log file
  • Look down at the lower left of the log file and make note of the “Sheet Name”. If it’s a TP generated file, it will be the same as the name you gave the log file when it was exported from TP
  • Next, from within Excel, open the Formula File
  • In the Formula File, enter:
    • the full name of the log file, including it’s extension
    • the Sheet Name
    • any other data that may be applicable
You should now see “Calculate” in the lower left and the percentage of calculation as it goes from 0-100%

I believe what you might be seeing is the order of opening the files. For some reason, if the Formula File is opened before the log file, nothing happens in some instances. But if F9 is pressed, the log file is located and calculation begins.

Again, please let me know if the above works. Also, let me know if you were opening the Formula File before the log file. If so, I’ll re-post the instructions and update the Formula File with what to do so others won’t have the same issue.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:22 PM

Well I would swear that I already did it just as you said but after reading your post I tried it again an it worked! Thanks for the input.

Now am I supposed to do anything with all the blm data that it gives me? I don't know much about the blm cells and how they work. I am just trying to ge a hold of the VE tables.

If I am reading the info correctly, It gives me a multiplier to use with all cells within a certain range? Like say all the cells accross the 800 RPM row will need to be multiplied by one certain multiplier and so on. Is this right or do i not understand what I am looking at?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:08 PM

Glad you got it working. Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I posted the files as an aid in making tuning “faster and easier”. I did not intend to make it a tutorial on all the details of how to tune. It is assumed users are reasonably familiar with nomenclature, tuning basics and the hardware and software required. The reason – there are many on this board that are far more knowledgeable and qualified in the tuning area than I likely am.

However, I can suggest a few things:

First, do some searching of these boards for what you lack knowledge in. Many have been-there, done-that many times over and provide unbelievable insight and direction.

Second, if you have not downloaded the .doc file “How to Use the Formula File”, I’d suggest doing that. It contains some background info that will answer many of your questions, and it will also guide you in what to do with the data you see reported by the Formula File.

Before making any changes to the VE tables, you must ensure that your injector flow rate/injector constant setting, or what ever it is called in your definition file, is set to give BLM values at or slightly less than 128 in as many BLM cells as possible. Apology for shouting, but THEN AND ONLY THEN, should you begin messing with the VE tables. Once the injector rate/constant is properly set, you can then begin adjusting VE table values in an attempt to get those BLM values that are well over or under 128 to read 128 or slightly less. It’s a trial and error process. Again, read the doc file and I think you’ll get a feel for what needs to be done.

A slight exception to the above has to do with idle settings in the Lower VE Table (remember all this has to do with Closed Loop only). First determine your maximum idle RPM and enter that into the Formula File. (If you don’t see that field for input in your file, download the most recent one). Now when you look at your data for RPMs in the range: “Minimum RPM in the table” to “Maximum you set”, you can generally multiply or divide all the values in the entire kPa table in those RPM ranges by a factor. Again, see that doc file under: “Using the Formula File VE Table Data, Rough Adjustment”.

Hope this helps.

PS – A new Formula File and .doc file were uploaded today based on the situation you encountered. I’d encourage your downloading both.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:30 PM

Fair enough. Thanks for the help and input. I'll go do some more reading.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 Grand National
Engine: LZ9????
Transmission: 2004R
Axle/Gears: 3.42

bringing this one back i cannot seem to link this to my datalog, ive been asking people here all day that know there way around excel. they cant figure out the path or command to link the two together. no matter how many different ways ive tried to open it, it never calculates.

excel 2010, opened both files from within excel
entered file location and extension(.csv), even copied and pasted from originating location
file name entered as seen on lower left tab
ive even manually entered all column and row numbers
max rpm entered
boundaries entered

everyone keeps asking me here about how to find the command to link the sheets together. i have no idea what they are looking for lol. how and where do i check to see if there is a link between my data and this formula file?

also, i see all the formulas when i click on "show formulas" and they seem to be ok.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS (730,$8D,G3,AP,4K,S_V4)
Engine: 406 Hyd Roller 236/242
Transmission: 700R4 HomeBrew, 2.4K stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi, 7.5 Soon to break

I just opened the files and believe i have your answer.
When you have the formula file and the DATA file open at the same time...
Look at the bottom of the DATA file and click "Calculate"
The formula file then populates.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by JP86SS
I just opened the files and believe i have your answer.
When you have the formula file and the DATA file open at the same time...
Look at the bottom of the DATA file and click "Calculate"
The formula file then populates.
calculate doesnt even show up, but i tried and still nothing. i even dowloaded the sample and formula file on the gubment computer and it worked as soon as it was opened up. im thinking win7 or excel 2010 doesnt like the formula file?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:57 PM

Hey 34Blazer -- See Post #25 above and follow those stepsa exactly. Note that you must open your data file first, then the Formula File If you can't see "Calculate" after both are open, try pressing F9. That will start the calculation if all the file names/sheet names/paths are correct. Thje order of file opening is a wierdness of Excel that just cannot be overcome. Files have to be loaded in a specific order.

Please post back if F9 works.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:32 AM

got it to work. converted the file type from .csv to .xls. i didnt know that it wouldnt recognize a .csv format lol. thanks!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 34blazer
got it to work. converted the file type from .csv to .xls. i didnt know that it wouldnt recognize a .csv format lol. thanks!

Don't know why on your end .csv wouldn't work. That's all I generally use -- raw right out of TPro. But glad you got it working.