DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Cant get moates ALDL cable to connect to ECM

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1994 Jeep Wrangler
Cant get moates ALDL cable to connect to ECM

Alright, I bought an ALDU1 and cable 1 USB setup from craig moates. The interface passes all of the software tests in tunerpro, and the TTS interface test, but will not connect to the ECM in tunerpro, Winaldl, or Datamaster. In tunerpro it will say that it is connected if I set it to 160 baud mode, but I get no data.

I did do an '85 to '165 tpi ecm swap, and I was able to log on a home made cable in 160 baud mode prior to the switch, but it should still work if the ALDL port tests okay with the paper clip (which it does) right? Am I missing something?

The only thing I can think of is that the ALDU1 is fine, and the Cable 1 is jacked up. Any help would be great!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1994 Jeep Wrangler
Re: Cant get moates ALDL cable to connect to ECM

If I have teh ALDU1 and Cable 1 plugged into the car but the not the computer, and the switch is set to 0 resistance, it should act the same as a paper clip on the A and B pins right?

If this is correct, I have a bum cable.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Cant get moates ALDL cable to connect to ECM

What ECM are you using? Do you have the correct definition files loaded/ECM selected in your software?

I'm not terribly familiar with Moates' USB cable in particular, but since nobody else has jumped in to help you out, I'll take a stab at it. On most of the cables I've seen, usually the jumper you're referring to just changes the "mode" that the ECM is in to "ALDL Mode" which basically raises the idle speed, and changes a few engine parameters (RARELY useful).

Also, as far as I know, the USB cable is recognized in windows as a USB-Serial converter, so you'll need to know which COM port your computer has assigned to your cable, and make sure your software is looking for a datastream on that port (WinALDL in particular).

Check to see that your software is set up with the correct ECM selected, and/or correct datastream definition file selected, and correct COM port selected. If you still have problems, try giving Moate's a call. If you really do have a bum cable, you're going to have to call them anyway...

I've heard great things about the support on Moate's products. They/he can probably help you get it sorted out over the phone, one way or another.