DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Tuner Pro RT need help I am a carb guy lol!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner Pro RT need help I am a carb guy lol!

Hello all. I am trying to figure out Tuner Pro RT and it's meanings and features. Thus far I have an 89' bin downloaded from Moates and the 6ke XDF file supplied with the software, have an Innovate wideband, Burn1 chip burner, G1 adapter package and chips from Moates, ALDL cable, USB adapter and such.

Engine- 100% new 350 with only the addition of a Comp 262H cam very mild.

I have burned a chip and it works pretty good until the coolant temp warms up then it goes WAY lean! I have played with the MAF tables and start enrich with less than good results. I am moving in 8 days and need to drive this to the new place, any help would be so great! I have done alot of reading on this, would be great if there is any VERY easy step by step tutorial with good info like real instructions anywhere? Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by malibu2envy; 07-06-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:11 PM

Re: Tuner Pro RT need help I am a carb guy lol!

Is the car mostly stock? If so, sounds like a bad 02 sensor possibly. Any codes? If the car isn't stock and is running ok until it goes into closed loop, as a last resort to get the car to drive where you need it, set the closed loop enable temp as high as it will go. That will keep it in open loop.

If you have tuned alot for a highly modded car, all I can guess is that it needs the maf tables raised alot. Start by raising the maf scalars to get you close, then after it is in the ballpark you can start tweaking the maf tables themselves.

I have some other ideas of what could cause it but would need many more details about your setup and tune.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:28 PM

I built a 350 for it instead of the 305 that was in it. Engine is all new and stock other than a Comp 262H hyd. cam which is very mild. What I have done with the O2 sensor is installed an Innovate wideband gauge and wired the analog output from the wideband sensor to the ECM O2 input which should be a much better deal with a heated 4 wire vs. the stock 1 wire non heat? I will try working with the scalors, in the MAF tables themselves increase the grams value to richen correct?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:19 PM

That should work fine as long as you used the correct output from the Innovate. I, too, have the Innovate and I really like it.

What .bin file did you start with? I would think the ARAP .bin file would start and run your car pretty well. Not sure what computer you are running, but with that cam, I would expect it to not go too lean when hitting closed loop. If you aren't using the ARAP.bin, go download it and give it a try.

If it is very very lean, I would change the MAF scalars (In the constants/scalars section of Tunerpro) first. When you change the scalar values, it automatically changes the MAF tables. On my setup (they are all different) for every point lean you are on the wideband in a certain area, change the scalar about 1 or maybe 2 points, save the file, burn it to a chip, and try it. MAF scalar 1 changes MAF table 1. You will likely find that Maf 1 is idle and very very light throttle, and decel. MAF 2 is mild throttle, like cruising around at light throttle and on the interstate and such. Maf 3 is moderate acceleration, and so forth. You will see all this on the gms/sec when you datalog but this description will get you started. You will find that the scalars will get you close but you will need to tweak certain values in the maf tables to get it spot on. Also, you will need to make the top of table 1 match the bottom of table 2, and the top of table 2 match the bottom of table 3, and so forth.

Since you are still running closed loop, once you begin to get it close the computer will adjust the blms to bring the afr to where it wants it. At that point you will need to datalog and watch the blms to tune and try to get them in the ballpark of 128 because the computer will be adjusting things and the wideband will read good so looking at it for tuning part throttle won't help. It will still be the holy grail for WOT tuning though. Once that part throttle is good and the blms hang in the 120 to 135 range, just tune the PE vs RPM table to get the WOT AFR on the wideband in the ballpark of 12.5 and you will be good to go. (or good to get into tuning the timing)!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:07 PM

Great info man, thanks! I did start with the ARAP bin and the 6ke XDF supplied with the Tuner Pro software (also downloaded the 6ke from Moates). Let me ask you a stupid question. To edit a bin I open the bin go to left side bars to view data click and make changes then go to the file tab on top left of screen and click save bin, after this I just load file to buffer selecting updated ARAP bin delete old info on chip then program chip then verify? In my reading is says to use editor, if I click editor it just looks like the Matrix full of 1's and 0's. Am I doing that correct? I hope so, I think so. I am going tomorrow to make some changes with your new info, thanks again very much!!!
Oh yeah, I have connected my ALDL cable and USB adapter and nothing shows up on my laptop as far as datalogging, is there a driver I need to install or should it just show data when running automatic?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 AM

You are correct, you do not need to use the hex editor. Only thing I do different, I click "Save As" instead of "Save", so I can save it as a new file instead of overwriting the old one. That way if your new tune didn't improve, you can always go back to the old one. Always save your new tune as a new name or number, so it keeps your old one. Make sure you save it, as you described, then, just like you said, erase the chip, load the new file to the buffer, and burn it to the chip.

For datalogging you shouldn't need to install anything else, but it is sometimes tricky to get it to connect. I just hit the F4 button and it brings up the window. Under one of the tabs or buttons (not sure which one, not at my tuning laptop right now), you will need to select a COM port, usually COM6 works. Then select "connect to computer". It should then connect. I have the little 10 ohm chip that is needed to connect in my aldl usb cable, I remove it once connected. I still have problems with it disconnecting and/or freezing my laptop up sometimes when datalogging and I have no idea why. It is sometimes a battle but I get through it enough to get tuned in.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:36 PM

I worked with the tune for about 6 hours tonight and nothing will work once it goes in closed loop, when the engine warms up it's done for with AFRs lean and if you turn off the engine it will not restart after that no matter what you change in the tune after (even the close loop enable temp). You put the factory 305 prom in it fires up everytime. I don't get it! Cold the engine has great AFRs runs smooth once up to temp goes bad fast. I moved the scalers, MAF tables, cold start enrich, idle rpm, base timing, and nothing fixes it. It also does not help my ALDL cable will not connect to ECM says "couldn't initialize serial port" or something so I have no datalog to help me. I am in a tough spot, I am moving in 2 days!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 AM

Car: 92 1500p\u 2wd
Engine: 91 z28 tpi 355
Transmission: 91 700r4

Subed for info. i also cant get my ALDL cable to be picked up on my tuner pro RT laptop.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:30 AM

So, if you set the closed loop enable temp to 304, then start the car, it still warms up good then stalls out?

Try going into your "MAF Max Air Flow vs RPM table, and raise all the values by 30, until you get up to 255, then leave them all 255. I had the problem of my car falling dead lean because it was going over the max gms/sec value in this table, which put it to a default setting and was not nearly enough fuel. Worth a try.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...questions.html

That is a link to a thread with some good info. Possibly you should try a .bin different from the ARAP to start. I don't know if your setup has a 9th injector or anything like that that would be giving you fits with using the ARAP.

For datalogging, did you select the right datastream definition (the 6E one?)

Under "tools" go to "preferences". On the window that comes up, click the "ALDL/Emulation" tab. Here you can set the settings you need to datalog and test the cable.

Last edited by dan0617; 07-09-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:25 PM

Would an 86' distributor have anything to do with my problem, its different from the 89'? Also what about the Innovate wideband wired to the ECM, when it goes into closed loop and tries to make corrections it may not be able to if the scaling on that O2 is different from the factory one wire non heated? I am shooting in the dark