DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Super_8dm2.ecu

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super_8dm2.ecu

I just finished reading the Project Super $8d ECU in the Prom Tuning Guidebook. I have saved this file to disk and tried Import\from ECU in TunerPro. I get no XDF selected. Am I missing a step.

Last edited by BoostedCamaro; 06-04-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:35 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 83 POS monte carlo 2015 chevy P/U
Engine: 92 5.7 tpi 5.3
Transmission: 700r4 6L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.42 too high
Re: Super_8dm2.ecu

i read your other post also.
i don't have my laptop with me to see what my settings are in TunerPro.
does the file end with something other than .ecu?
at one time many of the files had .txt added at the end because of problems trying to upload them.

i've had problems staying connected with a few bins i've downloaded and some i've made changes to. with some, i couldn't connect at all.

AUJP was the latest release from GM for the Speed Density TPI 350.
it can be tuned to work with a 305.
you may want to give S_AUJP_V4 a try.
it has a number of enhancements including expanded upper VE tables if you want to use them, and an option for a standard trans if you have 1.
you can also input a wideband O2 to the ECM and read it in the data stream in TunerPro.
a search for S_AUJP_V4 here in DYI_PROM will turn up a ton of info on it.
you can find the files at Moates filemanager under "2) Custom Modified
Binaries"
if you want to try it, there are 2 files you'll need.
S_AUJP_V4 Inputs.zip and S_AUJP_V4_1026.zip.
S_AUJP_V4 1024.zip was updated by 1026 so there is no need to get 1024.
if you use the V4 bin, you have to use the definition files for it.
if you do try it, be certain to read the documents that come in the zip files for instructions on how to use it.
also read this down toward the end of the thread for a couple of things that will need to be changed,
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...-released.html
Old 06-05-2010, 10:15 AM

Car: 1985 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Edit* I see that we can get the files from moates fileman, are the credentials the ones to his board?
Edit again* DOH, never mind, my moates.net webstore account works! working on answering my second question now....
Does it include the xdf for working in TunerPro RT?
Edit again again* yup, I see an xdf file in there, hope it works!

I've just started tuning as well a couple weeks ago after converting from maf to map (been using 91GTA305A4 as my base bin) and am always looking for a better bin to start with...
Thanks!

Last edited by iridium130m; 06-05-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Re-read the post
Old 06-05-2010, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the help I'll try that out. I have the files up in TunerPro bin, ads & xdf and get the same peak at low kPa as the thread so will have to read all and fix this first.

The Super_8dm2.ecu has the .ecu extension.

The motor is actually supposed to be a 383 just the TPI setup and computer is a 305 deal.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:28 AM

I am working through some of the mods to the 8D_SAUJP_V4a.xdf file the thread you posted that guides through these requests that the coolant row labels be negative in $04F6 Loop Closed Param, o2 R/L Offset Vs. Coolant Temp. What does this table do? The values are all 0 for o2 mV.

So it seems as thought the S_AUJP_V4 was created for the addition of some "options" such as wide band, etc. Is it OK to utilize without using any of these features for now.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:19 PM

Car: 1985 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

looked to me like the wideband o2 was for datalogging only and might take some soldering todo. I plan on starting this afternoon on this w/o it since I'm already logging into my autoproms a/d ports with tunerpro rt. I really don't think you need it.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Supreme Member

running the wideband to the ECM is only for data logging in TunerPro.
you still need either a standard narrow band O2 sensor or use the narrow band output from a wideband controller for the ECM to control the fuel unless you plan to run in open loop all the time.

logging the wideband into TunerPro has the advantage of letting you see just where the AFR is in relation to MAP, TPS, RPM, and engine temp.
but you may need to do some tweeking so TunerPro shows the same as what your wideband data logger shows.

you can use which ever options you want.
not using something that has been added won't affect it unless you have it selected but haven't filled in the table.

as far as what those 2 tables actually do, i believe they are modifiers.
they either add or subtract based on coolant temp.
making the changes lets TunerPro correctly show where you are at in the graphsyou don't need to change all of the rows, only rows 1, 2, 3, and 4.
they are the only ones that are below freezing which is 0 centigrade.
Attached Thumbnails Super_8dm2.ecu-corrected-table.jpg   Super_8dm2.ecu-corrected.jpg   Super_8dm2.ecu-crank-vs-coolant-not  

Last edited by DENN_SHAH; 06-05-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:34 PM

I downloaded the S_AUJP_V4 files and did the fixes in the thread. Now I can scan with the original chip in the car. As soon as I emulate I cannot scan the car. To determine if it was TunerPro (or my setup of) or the car I connected my Snap On Scan tool and it will not connect to the car. The car also will not run on the S_AUJP_V4 files or the cal I pulled from the chip.

Am I missing something or is it in the car. I am completely at a loss what to do with this car.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Supreme Member

sometimes this stuff can drive you crazy trying to figure out what the problem is.
a lot of people go thru it, so you aren't alone.

from your other post, try unchecking the "Disable Checksum" box.
i don't have it checked.
also reset the chip code mask back to 8D and then see what happens.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:19 AM

Just to ensure I understand. The "Disable Checksum" box is under Tools\Preferences\ALDL/Emulation

Thanks for your patience!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:41 AM
Supreme Member

thats it

no problem

Last edited by DENN_SHAH; 06-06-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:02 PM

So after a bunch of permutations of Bins, xdf and ads files I still am unable to emulate and scan. Hopefully this isn't too long winded. I am at a loss and don't know whether to look at the car/wiring/computer, myself or the emulation/scanning/logging equipment or files.

Here's what I did.

Started car with original chip in car. Someone has tuned it as it has an adapter and chip on the adapter with the '90 305 F Body Mem Cal on the adapter (AXYD). Starts and scans on TunerPro RT with AutoProm using SAUJP_V4_01.ads.

Pull chip and upload 41026A.bin using 8D_SAUJP_V4a.xdf file after corrections were done from recommended thread. Car starts and runs on bin. Emulates but will not scan. Ensure Chip Code is 8D and check and uncheck "Disable Checksum" box.

Try several other permutations of bins, xdfs and adss including the bin pulled from the chip in the car using 1227730_8D.ads and 8D.xdf downloaded from (TunerPro and Moates respectively websites). I played with different permutations of chip code mask being 8D and Disable Checksum box checked and not. To no avail. Once in a while albeit very inconsistently it would say ALDL was connected but there was no information being displayed.

In all of these cases I connected my Snap ON Scanner and it would not connect to the car.

Frustrated.

Now to do a second check I put the chip back in the car to see if the scanner would communicate. Now the scanners comunicate (TunerPro RT and SnapOn) but the car won't start. It catches then quits with no throttle input like its either flooded or no fuel. Any throttle input whether the slightest input or clear flood there is no fire. The scanner shows Desired Idle of 3188RPM, MAP 89kPA and 4.28V. Eventually the car starts after repeated hits on the starter and letting it sit periods.

Help I do not know which way to go.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

a few questions.

is AutoProm selected under Tools\Preferences\ALDL/Emulation?
is the outside switch on the AutoProm toward the inside position?
does TunerPro detect the AutoProm?
no chip in the AutoProm?
when you upload the bin to the AutoProm, does is say it was successful?
is the emulation cable hooked up right at the adapter in the ECM?
it can fit any of four ways, but there is only 1 way that it will work.
i can't find the picture, but the emulation cable connector should have the side with the red tracer pointing toward the end of the adapter socket where the notch is on the chip.
also, the emulation cable connector should be toward the ZIP handle with empty slots on the end of the emulation cable connector with the red tracer.

i don't think this will effect being able to emulate because you get good data with the stock chip, but the MAP is reading low.
it should be closer to 5 volts.
what does the battery voltage show with the scanner or TunerPro?
does a DVOM show good voltage to the ECM?
do all the grounds from the ECM check good?

if everything is good at this point, im pretty much out of ideals.
hopefully one of these will get you going.
if not, you may need to contact Craig for some real time help.