DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

165 2.8 swap the writeup.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 Firebird SE
Engine: 2.8L
165 2.8 swap the writeup.

I thought I would chronicle my experience on doing this swap here. At first, it proved to be extremely frustrating because at first the car wouldnt run or run right. Through numerous posts, and convos here with some good people, I found the answers to several problems i faced and ultimately overcame. First and probably one of the most important things is to make sure if youre using the SST EEPROMS, make sure they are completely empty of ANY data or youll get errors while programming. Once you are certain theres nothing anywhere on the chip, use offset C000, load the most recent bin which is 165 ecm bin (L), that Bl85 uploaded on Moates, and program the chip. After the programmer finishes, I closed the software, then re-opened it loaded the bin back into it and verified it to make sure nothing got messed up. Make sure your anti-virus is off during the programming too. Once the chip is good, carefully punch out the pins on the old PROM. Make sure the sockets dont pull up with the chip or youll get intermittent codes and all around bad running like i did and was ripping my hair out trying to diagnose. Be sure the notch in your new chip is facing the front of the memcal and the first pin on the chip is in the first socket etc. Ease the pins on the new chip down into the socket and keep watching for them to start bending. It might seem like the chip is seated properly, only to find out that some of the pins bent causing a bad connection. I would like to add, use a 7730 memcal, as it seems to be the closest calibration to the 2.8's. I found that i was still using the digital MAF, and i got a MAF code when i moved the signal wire to pin B12. When i moved it back to B6, all was fine with it. Apparently B12 is for analog MAF's. I'll edit in more info as it dons on me later on, but this is how i got my car running with this ECM.