DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

RPM Limiter and Speed Limiter 1227747

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Jeep Wrangler + a few more car
Engine: Gm 5.7 T.B.I with 1227747 ECM
Transmission: 700r4 DIY built
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8/D30- 4:10 and lockers
RPM Limiter and Speed Limiter 1227747

Hey guys i burnt my first chip today! Im using the g2x switching adapter from moates. my 1st question is that i dont see a table or constant for the rev or speed limiter, any idea's? im using 42.xdf, my7747xdf and one with a billion tuning options called highway7747. I cant seem to change it anywhere! i was racing yesterday in a mud bog and the red shift light was in my face but with all the excitement i couldnt let off!!! i just dont want to blow it up..lol.. i just rebuilt it!!! thanks for the help all.

Oh PS i won the race,trophy and cash!!!! check it out Red jeep yj
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ozLC...eature=channel
Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 AM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: RPM Limiter and Speed Limiter 1227747

There isn't a rev or speed limiter in the '7747. Although there is a patch for one it so desired. Also, be careful with the highway7747 ECU/XDF file. There is also a patch available to implement a true highway lean cruise mode in the '7747. Some entries of that ECU/XDF may be for it.

The shift light implementation in the '7747 (among most GM ECMs) is to tell the driver when to shift for best fuel economy. Of course with the 700R4 it doubles up as the signal to lock up the TCC.

RBob.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

Originally Posted by RBob
There isn't a rev or speed limiter in the '7747. Although there is a patch for one it so desired. Also, be careful with the highway7747 ECU/XDF file. There is also a patch available to implement a true highway lean cruise mode in the '7747. Some entries of that ECU/XDF may be for it.

The shift light implementation in the '7747 (among most GM ECMs) is to tell the driver when to shift for best fuel economy. Of course with the 700R4 it doubles up as the signal to lock up the TCC.

RBob.
Good, I thought I was loosing it, I looked through the '7747 XDFs I have last night and didn't find an indication of either limiter, even though I was sure there was a speed limiter...... LOL
Old 11-09-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by RBob

RBob.

Thanks for the info! I have an aftermarket shirt light. but i was looking for the ecu to back of the revs when i refuse to let off the gas. I have it set to flash in my face at 5k. Ok chip burning im new. I was just hoping that can be an option. you say be careful using the highwayXDF? i loaded my stock tune into that XDF. is that ok? are things changed? i just picked that XDF cause it had lots of parameters.

Oh 1 more thing, since i installed g2x adapter last nite and loaded my stock tune to a new chip it fired rite up! But i noticed just now it seems that est isnt working and my rpm guage isnt working! can this all be connected? did i open a can of worms? i didnt change anything on my stock tune, well that im aware of..lol.. but when i unplug the timing wire it usually idles different. what do you guys think? did i screw up?
Old 11-09-2009, 05:03 PM

This is great! it officially wont start after chip burn!!!! ok here is what i did and what i used!!

Moates g2x switching adapter
Moates remote
27sf512 chip

ok i soldered in the new adapter with ease. im an electrician!
then
I used flash and burn to read my stock chip
then
I loaded 747highway.XDF and my stock tune from above
then
I loaded it to buffer on flash n burn
then
I programed chip
then
i poped the chip into my ecu and fired it up! started fine, my girl was sleeping so i only let it run for maybe 30 seconds
then
I came home today and fired it up again. at idle i romped on the gas and it hesitated.. some but seemed ok i guess.
then
i noticed the rpm guage wasnt working
then
i unpluged the timing wire why i have no idea. it usually idles different when i unplug. but unpluging made no difference in idle
then
i shut if off and checked the obvious
now
it wont restart. it fires and dies. im sure its something wrong about the chip burn. and whatever the position of the EX remote, but i tried all positions and still nothing! I reburnt the chip and still wont fire up!!

Please help!!!!! lol
Old 11-10-2009, 08:25 AM

You need to add a SES light to your vehicle. Then at key-on, engine-off it should:

Briefly turn on, blink off, then turn on solid.

If it doesn't do that then the ECM isn't running from the PROM. A fast flashing SES is a checksum error. Which can also be caused by an improperly seated or inserted PROM.

If the SES turns on and stays on (no blink), again there is something wrong with the PROM or the insertion of it.

While tuning it is good to get into the habit of checking the SES at every key on. Can save a lot of headaches.

RBob.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=RBob;4341550]You need to add a SES light to your vehicle. Then at key-on, engine-off it should:

Briefly turn on, blink off, then turn on solid.

If it doesn't do that then the ECM isn't running from the PROM. A fast flashing SES is a checksum error. Which can also be caused by an improperly seated or inserted PROM.

If the SES turns on and stays on (no blink), again there is something wrong with the PROM or the insertion of it.

While tuning it is good to get into the habit of checking the SES at every key on. Can save a lot of headaches.

RBob.[/QUOTE/

Rob thanks for the reply! I will work on the ses light. I finially got it to run! I had burnt the tune 4 times on the same chip. But realized it only ran in position 4-8-b and f or something like that. Mustn't something to do with my bin stacking using tuner pro. In bin stacking I'm using 2sf512 chip. Which is 512 kb rite! My tune size is 4k. And I had 4 tunes so I used whatever # left only 4 slots on my chip. So I used pos 0-1-2-3 for the switching but on the remote the positions were 4-8-b and something else! Any ideas? And the rev limiter patch, any idea where I can find this. Thanks guys!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by JeepYJv8
Rob thanks for the reply! I will work on the ses light. I finially got it to run! I had burnt the tune 4 times on the same chip. But realized it only ran in position 4-8-b and f or something like that. Mustn't something to do with my bin stacking using tuner pro. In bin stacking I'm using 2sf512 chip. Which is 512 kb rite! My tune size is 4k. And I had 4 tunes so I used whatever # left only 4 slots on my chip. So I used pos 0-1-2-3 for the switching but on the remote the positions were 4-8-b and something else! Any ideas? And the rev limiter patch, any idea where I can find this. Thanks guys!
The 4k tune is in bytes, the '512k prom is in bits. So the prom is 64 k Bytes. Which means that 16 tunes (64 / 4) will fit in it.

As for the rev-limiter patch, you realize that bouncing off a fuel cut is rather harsh? Not something that is recommended on a on-going basis. As long as you only require it from time to time it should be OK. IIRC I posted the patch to the diy-efy email list about a decade ago.

I'll see if I can find it on my PC. I usually don't delete much so it should still be around.

RBob.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:58 AM

Thanks rob! you seem to be the guy to talk to.. I also see that you make your own ecm with a hud display. does your ecm do all this already? beacause im starting to wonder if this was a good idea? i mean it seems pretty complicated just to use a speed or rev limiter. I have seen some hacks on diy-efi but it seems pretty complicated. looks like some ladder logic for PLC's i used in college..lol but i did get the chip to burn rite, thanks for the info! and started changing the little things.

i dont plan to use the rev limiter much but during the race when i wont let off like last time,i was caught in the moment,lol . its nice to know that it will cut before i really do some dammage. and the speed limiter i was just using for when my girl drives the jeep. with big tires and built engine but small brakes usually makes me nervous, with someone else driving. so i was going to use tune 0 on the ex remote like a valet mode.

P.S have you heard of innovate motorsports LM-1 ? is it worth $200 for tuning. i have a guy selling one locally, if its a good deal ill go get it?

againg thank you rob, and the rest of you guys that work to compile this information! its a great site!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:19 PM

The EBL has both a rev-limiter and a vehicle speed limiter. With a soft-touch control. This is where power is be pulled prior to additional RPM or MPH actually hitting a fuel cut.

The driver can feel the loss of power and then knows that they are at the point of shifting or lifting. Which leaves the fuel cut as a last ditch to save the engine from having the rods perforate the block.

RBob.