DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

27sf512 drop in replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Too many to list...
27sf512 drop in replacement?

Well the 27SF512 chips are dying out it seems.

I originally ordered 3 of these PROMs from Moates and one of them has crapped out after maybe 30 burns.

Moates sells them for 5 bucks a piece. From Mouser, chips are roughly 1-2 bucks a piece.

If you go to Mouser's website they will point you in the direction of some possible replacements for the 27SF512, BUT, they all seem to be 32 pins instead of the old 28....

My question (in several parts)- Does anyone know of a chip that will be a direct replacement for the 27SF512?

Since the majority of available chips listed as a possible replacement are 32 pins, I would need to replace my ZIF with one to accomodate the extra 4 pins... Or would I? Can anyone help me out here? I've looked at the data sheet on Mouser's website and being the novice that I am most of it doesn't make sense.

What pins were the ones used on the 27SF512 chip in a '7747 application?? I think only 4 pins were used???

Not only does the 'replacement' for the 27SF512 have 4 more pins, the pins all seem to do different things now, best I can tell anyways..

Please someone throw me a bone here... I want to order up about 30-50 chips to last me for a good while, thus why I want to go with Mouser instead of Moates, MUCH cheaper.

I'm running a 7747 ECM.

Please help!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:41 PM

Re: 27sf512 drop in replacement?

bump
Old 04-16-2009, 10:58 PM

Car: '91 S10 Blazer
Engine: TBI 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

When I use my Romulator II, I just hang the end 4 pins off the 28 pin socket. To save buggering up the header on the Romulator itself (hanging the pins was bending the 2 that bumped into the socket) I just took a regular 32 pin PC mount socket, yanked off the last 4 pins, then stuck the header into that.

Now if I kill pins, I can just replace the 50 cent socket.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by dr.fiero
When I use my Romulator II, I just hang the end 4 pins off the 28 pin socket. To save buggering up the header on the Romulator itself (hanging the pins was bending the 2 that bumped into the socket) I just took a regular 32 pin PC mount socket, yanked off the last 4 pins, then stuck the header into that.

Now if I kill pins, I can just replace the 50 cent socket.
Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated!

What chips are you using (P/N#?)

I forgot to mention, I'm using BURN1 chip burner from Moates. On the Moates website it says this about the BURN2 (couldn't find anything for the BURN1):

"USB Chip Programmer works with the AT29C256, 27SF512, and AM29F040 chips. Self-powered from the USB port, so no power adapter is needed! Burner can also be used to read stock GM memcals using the HDR1 adapter. While it will only program the three types of chips listed, please note that those three chips can be used as drop-in replacements for most EFI applications. Comes with stand-alone chip programming software (available for download). Also compatible with TunerPro RT. Will read most stock-style chips (2732A, 27C128/256/512/etc). Mini-USB cable is included. "

It sounds like I am stuck buying the chips from Moates for WAY more than they're worth. But on top of that, what am I to do when the stock on now discontinued 27SF512 chips is ENTIRELY gone?? Buy more equipment from him?? I think not! I am NOT going to be happy if Moates has sold me something that seems to have planned obsolescence built in I mean, had I known that the chips this thing will program are so limited I would not have dealt with him.

Whats your take on all this??

By the way, do you have any pics of your setup so that I may better visualize it??

Once again, thanks for bothering to reply. It's like pulling teeth to get a response sometimes..
Old 04-16-2009, 11:59 PM

Well, at one point I was simply using 2732's.

But with the Romulator - I've never really cooked another actual chip!

I guess if I wanted too, I could take whatever the latest BIN I had, and cook it. Save having the Romulator hanging off my ECM just for tidiness sake. Wasn't really a concern for me though. I just shoved it all up under the dash.

In my current rig, I've got one of rbob's EBL's. So... again... no more chips!

As for 'planned obsolescence' -- you really can't blame Moates. I mean, it's hard to get ANY old semi. I happen to have a small pile of 2732's, and I grab whatever ones I stumble across. It's not Transtronics (guys that make my burner) fault that nobody makes them anymore!
Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

Contact Moates. If your 27SF512 really did die after 30 burns, then there's a problem either with the chip or the way you're handling them. Either way, he's pretty easy going. Ask him nicely and he's very likely to make things right.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by dr.fiero
Well, at one point I was simply using 2732's.

But with the Romulator - I've never really cooked another actual chip!

I guess if I wanted too, I could take whatever the latest BIN I had, and cook it. Save having the Romulator hanging off my ECM just for tidiness sake. Wasn't really a concern for me though. I just shoved it all up under the dash.

In my current rig, I've got one of rbob's EBL's. So... again... no more chips!

As for 'planned obsolescence' -- you really can't blame Moates. I mean, it's hard to get ANY old semi. I happen to have a small pile of 2732's, and I grab whatever ones I stumble across. It's not Transtronics (guys that make my burner) fault that nobody makes them anymore!
I don't want to hassle with OTP chips. I want MTP.

I would spring for an EBL from rbob if I had the cash to blow, which I don't.

Any old semi? Don't follow ya there.

I DON'T blame Moates for the SST company deciding to stop making the 27SF512 chip, however:

IMO I think Moates should be pretty well attuned to those kinds of things-
1.) Provide some kind of built-in 'upgradeability' for his products like the BURN1 which would allow you to adapt it and keep using it as technology marches onward.
2). Be sensitive to the fact that the products he sells are using technology which might have a dwindling lifespan, like the 27SF512 for example.

Again I don't expect him to know that they're going to stop producing that chip at any given moment, but I'd guess that the 27SF512 has been around for a while.

And Mangus, It can't be the way I'm handling them because I store/transport them on the foam pad in the static shield bag and all that good stuff..

Last edited by Cdeez; 04-17-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:47 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi

I think he meant that any obsolete chip (semi.=semiconductor) gets hard to obtain after they go end-of-life.

But, yeah, I hear you with the 27SF's going away. I had just decided that I was going to burn my own chips and headed over to Mouser and got the bad news... I mean you can still get them on ebay, but their definitely not as cheap as Mouser.

I don't think you can just use the 27SF010 or whatever its called, because the pins are different. I was thinking about some kind of adapter board, but I think that would be more hassle than it's worth. Unfortunatly, I was unable to find a direct replacement when I was looking a month or so ago. Maybe someone else has an idea?
Old 04-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Here was my answer... best thing I've done to date for tuning

http://www.moates.net/product_info.p...roducts_id=131

-jason
Old 04-17-2009, 06:43 AM

I use an AT28C256 which is also available in 512. It would be a direct replacement, but it's expensive and very slow to prgramm. BUT it's an alternative.

Mat
Old 04-17-2009, 09:32 AM

I think I might be best off to just save up some dough and buy a Megasquirt DIY kit.

Not only would I learn, it seems to be the most attractive option for a reasonably priced aftermarket EFI controller.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cdeez
I think I might be best off to just save up some dough and buy a Megasquirt DIY kit.
Got one sitting on the shelf here that I built a few years back.
It's a reasonable unit, and very adaptable. As long as you've got the time to invest in tuning from dead scratch. Or you luck out and find someone who's got a similar setup and is willing to share. I wasn't so lucky (turbo 2.8L just isn't mainstream enough I guess!).

It'll probably end up on eBay soon enough.

edit: it's an MSII on a v3.0 board that I've got BTW

Last edited by dr.fiero; 04-17-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:50 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the first generation Megasquirt are dropping in price. As each new version is released the prior drop in cost. Same with Holley Commander from what I hear. EBay.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

OEM GM EFI > MS

I've looked at the MS all the way from the first inception that had no ignition control to the latest and even some future planned items for MS, they just don't have the features that the OEM GM ECM has, like VSS input to control different parameters, which is especially important with an auto tranny eqipped vehicle.

I've read about so many people that have been left stranded due to the MS losing the files, and needing a complete from the start re-flash. I've never heard of this with the OEM GM ECM and have never experianced a problem with the OEM GM ECM itself.

BTW I installed a GM ECM on my 1973 Datsun 240Z, when most people are going MS, because I like how the OEM GM ECM functions and the features it has.

Yes, the tuning interface can be a bit more difficult to use, but there are a few options avaialble for it. None of these intefaces have made my computer lag, where as one of the latest Mega Squirt interfaces did, so I decided it still was not the system for me.

If the EEPROM is really the reason you're going to go away from using the GM ECM, then you'll be greatly disapointed with the MS, when you need to add a bunch of different and flakey circuits to the MS to do half of what the OEM GM ECM does.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:46 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any experience with Holley Commander 950?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ronny
Any experience with Holley Commander 950?
Me?

Not really, I've wanted to though, and almost bought one a few years ago, but then got into the OEM GM stuff for less money and as many features, with as good or greater reliability.

I'd still like to use a Commander 950 on something though, just to have some hands on with it.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter
OEM GM EFI > MS

I've looked at the MS all the way from the first inception that had no ignition control to the latest and even some future planned items for MS, they just don't have the features that the OEM GM ECM has, like VSS input to control different parameters, which is especially important with an auto tranny eqipped vehicle.

I've read about so many people that have been left stranded due to the MS losing the files, and needing a complete from the start re-flash. I've never heard of this with the OEM GM ECM and have never experianced a problem with the OEM GM ECM itself.

BTW I installed a GM ECM on my 1973 Datsun 240Z, when most people are going MS, because I like how the OEM GM ECM functions and the features it has.

Yes, the tuning interface can be a bit more difficult to use, but there are a few options avaialble for it. None of these intefaces have made my computer lag, where as one of the latest Mega Squirt interfaces did, so I decided it still was not the system for me.

If the EEPROM is really the reason you're going to go away from using the GM ECM, then you'll be greatly disapointed with the MS, when you need to add a bunch of different and flakey circuits to the MS to do half of what the OEM GM ECM does.
As far as I understand it, the MS is way more adaptable than any OBDI GM ECM could be (in stock form of course). THere is also likely a way to incorporate your VSS, though I'm not entirely positive and I certainly do not consider myself the final authority on the subject matter. (I lost my VSS when I dumped my 700R4 for the T56, The T56 uses a diff reluctor wheel than the 700 so the speedo would be off.)

You've heard about people being stranded by the MS?? I have been doing copious amounts of reading on it and I can only find people that have good things to say about the MS (until your post).

The EEPROM isn't THE reason I'd go to the MS, but it would certainly make the list of reasons.

OEM GM EFI > MS
I don't think so, I mean, to each his own. It really seems like a matter of personal preference to me rather than one being 'better' than the other.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 PM

As far as I understand it, the MS is way more adaptable than any OBDI GM ECM could be (in stock form of course). THere is also likely a way to incorporate your VSS, though I'm not entirely positive and I certainly do not consider myself the final authority on the subject matter. (I lost my VSS when I dumped my 700R4 for the T56, The T56 uses a diff reluctor wheel than the 700 so the speedo would be off.)
No, the VSS is not adaptable, nor are there any, tables that would make use of the VSS. No one seems to care about vehicle speed. It seems that people assume that this is about engine control, when really it's about vehicle control. The rolling resistance, and aerodynamic drag are factors in how a vehicle perfomrs, along with coming back to a stop, for DFCO, and a few other variables that could be better utilized with the input of a VSS.

You've heard about people being stranded by the MS?? I have been doing copious amounts of reading on it and I can only find people that have good things to say about the MS (until your post).

It's not like I've been told this in passing by a friend's, brother's, dog walker's nephew, that these have failed, I have done quite a bit of reading on teh subject of MS, on quite a few different forums, once that both support the MS and forums that don't. I don't repeat hear-say, I repeat fact that I have either experianced myself or have heard from reliable sources on the matter.

The EEPROM isn't THE reason I'd go to the MS, but it would certainly make the list of reasons.

I don't think so, I mean, to each his own. It really seems like a matter of personal preference to me rather than one being 'better' than the other.
While yes it's a bit about opinion, the only thing that MS has over the OEM GM EMS is the ease of adaptability to different vehciles. In just about every other way it falls short though.

I personally have a '7749 running a 1981 or 1982 (as best as I can narrow down by casting numbers) 2.8L Nissan I6 in my 1973 Datsun 240Z, and it runs fine, I have real time tuning, vehicle speed input, fan control, among a LOT of other variables, included WBO2 closed loop operation, even though I run it in open loop currently.

A guy I know has a 1956 Land Rover, with a late model Toyota I4 (sorry I don't know anymore details on the engine than that) also running a GM ECM, updated version of the '7727.

A friend of mine has a '7730 running a 365 (smaller version of the 409) with a custom MPFI intake, in a 1967 Chevy truck.

The GM EFI is very adaptable to many different vehicles, not just GMs.

Later this year I will have a Corvette Cross-Fire induction on a 355 in my late uncles 1923 T-bucket replica, using GM EMS.
I will by next year if not sooner have that same cross-fire induction moved over to my Gradfather's 1970 Chev pick-up, and then have the mechanical injection manifold for the T-bucket then converted to EFI and run a '7730 or '7749 on it.

As I said, I've looked at the MS repeatedly over the years to maybe use on the next project, and then the next one and then the next one, but the GM EMS always seems to have something the MS doesn't or offers for a cheaper price.

BTW the "in stock form" statement doesn't make sense, since this entire forum is about modifying the OEM GM EMS.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:52 PM

No, the VSS is not adaptable, nor are there any, tables that would make use of the VSS. No one seems to care about vehicle speed. It seems that people assume that this is about engine control, when really it's about vehicle control. The rolling resistance, and aerodynamic drag are factors in how a vehicle perfomrs, along with coming back to a stop, for DFCO, and a few other variables that could be better utilized with the input of a VSS.

It's not like I've been told this in passing by a friend's, brother's, dog walker's nephew, that these have failed, I have done quite a bit of reading on teh subject of MS, on quite a few different forums, once that both support the MS and forums that don't. I don't repeat hear-say, I repeat fact that I have either experianced myself or have heard from reliable sources on the matter.

While yes it's a bit about opinion, the only thing that MS has over the OEM GM EMS is the ease of adaptability to different vehciles. In just about every other way it falls short though.

I personally have a '7749 running a 1981 or 1982 (as best as I can narrow down by casting numbers) 2.8L Nissan I6 in my 1973 Datsun 240Z, and it runs fine, I have real time tuning, vehicle speed input, fan control, among a LOT of other variables, included WBO2 closed loop operation, even though I run it in open loop currently.

A guy I know has a 1956 Land Rover, with a late model Toyota I4 (sorry I don't know anymore details on the engine than that) also running a GM ECM, updated version of the '7727.

A friend of mine has a '7730 running a 365 (smaller version of the 409) with a custom MPFI intake, in a 1967 Chevy truck.

The GM EFI is very adaptable to many different vehicles, not just GMs.

Later this year I will have a Corvette Cross-Fire induction on a 355 in my late uncles 1923 T-bucket replica, using GM EMS.
I will by next year if not sooner have that same cross-fire induction moved over to my Gradfather's 1970 Chev pick-up, and then have the mechanical injection manifold for the T-bucket then converted to EFI and run a '7730 or '7749 on it.

As I said, I've looked at the MS repeatedly over the years to maybe use on the next project, and then the next one and then the next one, but the GM EMS always seems to have something the MS doesn't or offers for a cheaper price.

BTW the "in stock form" statement doesn't make sense, since this entire forum is about modifying the OEM GM EMS.
It makes sense to me

Regardless, thanks for the input
Old 04-18-2009, 05:34 PM

Car: 92 formula, sd,730ecm with $59
Engine: 383/ t-76 turbonetics
Transmission: 700r4 3200 vig converter
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I found the chips on ebay for about 2 bucks each. come and go though so have to keep looking if not up one week. I use 29c256 and 27sf512 either works the same as the other for me. I just get what ever I find cheaper on ebay. i run a 730 with code $59 so not 100% sure if that 29c256 will work for you but it is 28 pin. check ebay for the chips too. I get them 10 chips for 22 bucks shipped.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:12 PM

THanks, I'll be scouting out these chips on ebay, see if I can find em for a reasonable price.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jaysz28
Here was my answer... best thing I've done to date for tuning

http://www.moates.net/product_info.p...roducts_id=131

-jason
Jason,

tell me more about this please. I have done some reading on Moates' website but I want to get as much info as possible.

Also, do you think that would work with a 7747 ECM???

On Moates' site it says it's a bit like emulation, I'm not clear on that, is it emulation or not???

-Chase
Old 04-19-2009, 06:06 PM

Jason,

tell me more about this please. I have done some reading on Moates' website but I want to get as much info as possible.

Also, do you think that would work with a 7747 ECM???

On Moates' site it says it's a bit like emulation, I'm not clear on that, is it emulation or not???

-Chase
The NVSRAM is only a "bit like emulation" because the vehcile needs to be not running to upload a bin. It saves the need to burn EEPROMs to tune, but doesn't give the ability to have real time emulation.

That being said, no, it won't work on a '7747.

How ever you do have two other options that allow real time emulation, well one does for sure, and I'm quite sure the other does.

The Ostrich 2.0 allows for real time Emulation and does work with the '7747, with a Socket Booster 2.0 used to boost the signal between the Ostrich and the ECM.

There is also Rbob's EBL, that is a similar concept to the NVSRAM, but specifically for the C3 style ECM. http://www.dynamicefi.com/
Old 08-16-2009, 02:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E

The NVSRAM is only a "bit like emulation" because the vehcile needs to be not running to upload a bin. It saves the need to burn EEPROMs to tune, but doesn't give the ability to have real time emulation.
The whole "bit like emulation" is BS. It is exactly like emulation. I questioned that line before and he blew it off. For anyone running the 730 using the NVSRAM it is exactly like emulation. Much better than the old and maybe new emulators. The NVSRAM will not throw a check engine light like the emulators will when they mess up sometimes.
The NVSRAM does updates with the engine running.

As for the 27SF512 being obsolete. I wouldn't be surprised if the people with the G-whatever adapters have to buy something new with 32 pins.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by junkcltr
The whole "bit like emulation" is BS. It is exactly like emulation. I questioned that line before and he blew it off. For anyone running the 730 using the NVSRAM it is exactly like emulation. Much better than the old and maybe new emulators. The NVSRAM will not throw a check engine light like the emulators will when they mess up sometimes.
The NVSRAM does updates with the engine running.

As for the 27SF512 being obsolete. I wouldn't be surprised if the people with the G-whatever adapters have to buy something new with 32 pins.
The old description on moates.net and information on here indicated that uploading the bin while the engine was running could potentially cause problems that it was was best to upload the bin while the engine was off. Maybe it's just that the entire bin needs to be uploaded not just bits and pieces, and if that is the case it's only a "bit like emulation", since "emulation" doesn't require uploading the entire bin. Emulation also follows and makes changes as you do. If I make a change to my VE table while emulating, the change is automatically uploaded to my Ostrich while emulating, I don't need to manually upload the changes, or the entire bin, so it really does appear that the use of the NVSRAM is only a "bit like emulation".
Using my Ostrich 2.0, while emulating is as described "bumpless", the vehicles run just fine, so, there is no problem with emulators.

I don't know where this SST27SF512 is dieing out idea has come from, I can still buy them from a few a sources.

Last edited by Six_Shooter; 08-16-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:41 AM

yeah 27SF512's seem to be everywhere theres a guy on PGMFI.org selling heaps of brandnew ones if anyone is after any.plus numorous other soarces they may have stopped making them but there is plenty of stock on many shop shelves too last a life time.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E

The old description on moates.net and information on here indicated that uploading the bin while the engine was running could potentially cause problems that it was was best to upload the bin while the engine was off. Maybe it's just that the entire bin needs to be uploaded not just bits and pieces, and if that is the case it's only a "bit like emulation", since "emulation" doesn't require uploading the entire bin. Emulation also follows and makes changes as you do. If I make a change to my VE table while emulating, the change is automatically uploaded to my Ostrich while emulating, I don't need to manually upload the changes, or the entire bin, so it really does appear that the use of the NVSRAM is only a "bit like emulation".
Using my Ostrich 2.0, while emulating is as described "bumpless", the vehicles run just fine, so, there is no problem with emulators.

I don't know where this SST27SF512 is dieing out idea has come from, I can still buy them from a few a sources.
Yes, the software used on the PC before would only allow the entire CAL to be upload. It is a software thing, not a hardware thing. TunerPro wouldn't support the protocol. Now there is a way around that. See: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...emory-via.html
You can do real time updates just like an "ostrich".

Your description of emulation is not the definition of emulation.

"bumpless" is a term made up for hardware problems that were fixed in later hardware versions (hence the name change). Bummer for those that bought the "bump" version.

SST is no longer making those parts. Yes, there is a lot of stock around.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!

I have arround 10 brand new 27sf512 chips for sale for cheap if someone needs them. PM me if interested.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by junkcltr
Yes, there is a lot of stock around.
If you guys want to buy these chips at the ridiculous markup (Moates was $5 a chip last time I checked) BE MY GUEST.

When Mouser USED to stock them, they were less than a dollar a piece.

That's all I'm saying and ever have been, dying out in the sense that you can't get a decent wholesale price easily, you need to pay someone a markup of anywhere between 200-500% typically.

If I bought 50 chips from Moates @ $5 a piece it would be $250

If Mouser was still in that game the same quantity would have cost $36.50.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:25 PM

If you guys want to buy these chips at the ridiculous markup (Moates was $5 a chip last time I checked) BE MY GUEST.

When Mouser USED to stock them, they were less than a dollar a piece.

That's all I'm saying and ever have been, dying out in the sense that you can't get a decent wholesale price easily, you need to pay someone a markup of anywhere between 200-500% typically.

If I bought 50 chips from Moates @ $5 a piece it would be $250

If Mouser was still in that game the same quantity would have cost $36.50.
FYI, I don't buy the m at $5/ea (anymore), I have found at least one other supplier, that I have bought from a couple times now, for less than $5/ea.

That being said....

Business is business, and mark-up is part of that game. Either pay the marked up price, or find another source, or another way of doing the same job.

In my books, just because you can no longer find something as cheap as you used to be able to, does not mean that the supply is drying up, just that there is more mark up now.

FYI #2, if you bought 50 EEPROMs from Moates it wouldn't be $250, there is a quanitity discount.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:40 PM

FYI, I don't buy the m at $5/ea (anymore), I have found at least one other supplier, that I have bought from a couple times now, for less than $5/ea.

That being said....

Business is business, and mark-up is part of that game. Either pay the marked up price, or find another source, or another way of doing the same job.

In my books, just because you can no longer find something as cheap as you used to be able to, does not mean that the supply is drying up, just that there is more mark up now.

FYI #2, if you bought 50 EEPROMs from Moates it wouldn't be $250, there is a quanitity discount.
I don't really care what you buy them for, or where you buy them for that matter... Let me repeat myself, if you want to pay the markup since it is "part of the game" then go right ahead, just don't try to force me to see it your way, b/c I simply will not.

"In your books?" lmfao. I don't know how else to say what I have already said so that you will understand it, I just don't think it's going to happen. Eventually, all these chips will be bought up. It is inevitable.

I think I have repeated myself enough here, and there is no tech so this thread is just a bickerfest in which you (like many other conceited people on any forum) just have to have the last word. I'm done listening to your ridiculous blithering
Old 08-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Car: Chevy Suburban-ish "Camaro" 1991
Engine: 383
Transmission: 4L80e

I can get a huge supply of the SST 27sf512 chips (my brother is in the IC chip sourcing/distribution industry). In order to get decent pricing and make it worth while to inventory and ship them, my price would be somewhere near Moats price. I could probably save people $1/chip on orders of 5 (5 chips for $20) but any lower and it would just not be worth it to constantly be packaging them and running to the post office.

What I would like is to find a supply of Memcals