DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

WB tuneing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:49 PM
GTA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 GTA
Engine: running
Transmission: working
Axle/Gears: both
WB tuneing?

Hi Folks,

I am finally getting a WB for my self. I would like to know are any of the innovate WB products compatible with TP/RT ? Also after i "log" a session and see what my actual AF is How do i go about modding the VE table to correct the AF? I s there a formula that will allow me to do so or am i just "blindly" adding or pulling fuel to achieve the correct cruise ratio of 14.7-1 and the slightly richer WOT af that is needed to achieve max power?
Sorry for the question but i see a lot of " i use a WB " to tune posts but there are not alot of answers. I have searched but maybe i'm not searching for the correct thing? Any way thanks, i have been using TP/RT for a long time and i really like it but i have come to realize that the narrow band sensor is making me pull my hair out, and it will never be as acurate as i would like, any input or direction would be greatly appreciated! thanks GTA
Old 01-15-2009, 08:33 PM

Car: 83 Z28
Engine: 406
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9" with 4.10s
Re: WB tuneing?

I am in the process of finalizing my tuning right now. For starter, I have had some issues with the innovative WB and I hear the zietec (sp?) is a more reliable unit. I also got the o-meter and it is not working in this cold weather. It actually has to warm up before it works. I do not see how this could be a wiring issue, but I'll have to recheck that prior to crying wolf.

I have an ebl so it does the corrections for me. I think there are some other freeware programs that will help you. Basically, you need to disable closed loop, set the initial BLM on start-up to 128, and I went a step further and raise the values to enter AE and PE. Then, you slowly raise rpms and note the afr. All the ebl does is I think is compare the desired afr from the open loop afr vs map table and makes a correction with some filtering. You would need to do the same until the corrections are close. After seeing the areas that need more fuel, you can start to see a pattern in the 3d graph on TP and smooth things out.

I am up to 4800 rpms, so I need lots of room to let the motor steadily scream that high to get the readings. As soon as I see values going to the high 15s, I stop due to the lean charge. I am doing the learns primarily in 3rd and 4th. Each gear will give you a different load or map value as well as going up inclines.

That should be a good start. Anyone else please chime in if you have better/more info.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:09 PM
GTA

Thanks for the reply,

I forgot to mention that i am running a speed density system with a worked over version of AUJP. The car runs very well actually but i KNOW that i have more in it and i am a very particular person and want better. I too have heard that the innovate systems have reported some problems in the past ( but also have a LOT of great reports as well ) just wondering what other tuners are doing with the wideband setups and how they achieved the results they are after. GTA
Old 01-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS (730,$8D,G3,AP,4K,S_V4)
Engine: 406 Hyd Roller 236/242
Transmission: 700R4 HomeBrew, 2.4K stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi, 7.5 Soon to break

Th question is not if the WB is compatible with a datalogger, the real issue is getting WB data that is in sync with the rest of your data.
A WB puts out a voltage to indicate Lambda value or AFR but it is difficult to keep track of when the reading was what.
If you use a WB connected to a gauge you have only visual memory to remember the readings and circumstances, a WB with its own datalogging software is the same because it doesn't relate throttle position, MAP, speed etc unless you buy the add ons and wire it into your car.
There are , "patches" and modified bins such as the S_AUJP V4 that provide a way to add the WB voltage input into the ECM so any std datalogging software can read the signal along with the rest of your data at thew same time. TunerPro allows for custom items to be added by the user so it would be "compatible" but the bin file must be modified to allow the WB signal to be output with the data. The stock AUJP one does not have that ability.
I'm not sure about other logging programs and the ability to add extra items so I can't comment on those, you'd have to check it out.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:47 AM
GTA

JP,

thank you for the input, it is always greatly appreciated. I was looking at the innovate XD-16 perm mounted guage. This guage can data log and scoot the info over to a laptop, but I have been told that the logworks program and TP/RT are not compatible, so this is the hang up for me right now, has any one used this particular guage and if so what were the results? Thanks GTA
Old 01-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS (730,$8D,G3,AP,4K,S_V4)
Engine: 406 Hyd Roller 236/242
Transmission: 700R4 HomeBrew, 2.4K stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi, 7.5 Soon to break

Originally Posted by GTA
..but I have been told that the logworks program and TP/RT are not compatible
Compatible is not a reletive term because you wouldn't "hook" the two together.
They both use a laptop port to communucate with a device to record data. They just happen to be different devices.
So technically that would be a correct response because you can't use Logworks to put data into TunerPro or any other datalogger without additional hardware etc.

You can do this in any combination of 3 ways:
1.) Add a WB input to your ECM and read it with your ALDL data.
  • Customized bin code, logging definition modification
2.) Add engine sensor outputs to the WB and log with the WB software.
  • Purchase extra hardware and wire it all in (like RPM kit)
3.) Use a stand alone WB indicator (gauge) and try to match results with time and circumstances.
  • Nothing, Just like any other gauge in the car.
Hope that clears that up for you.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:34 PM

Car: 83 Z28
Engine: 406
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9" with 4.10s

The lc-1 also comes with software and a serial cable to log the wb. Just easier to analyze when you have it in the ecm with the other data.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 AM
GTA

Alright, thanks for clearing that up for me. GTA