DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Rbob I listened to your advice, but still not sure whats going on..

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rbob I listened to your advice, but still not sure whats going on..

okay, so i i took your advice, i picked my parts and stuck with them. i read more, and did more research, started tuning my chip, its been a long road, but i think i got it now. but im not certain if its something missing in my chip that i need to input or look over. okay here is the break down of what im running; 383ci, 4l60e built (dieing), 4.56 gears on 33s, true 90# bbc injs @ 16~17 psi... i believe the bin its set at 91 or something for injs. cubic inches is set a little over a 383 more like a 390 or something.. my VE is okay to me.. lil rich but safe i would say.. no black smoke just at the upper rpms, like 5..4K. my SA is out of this world feel, especially part throttle, wot it brings it. overall im extremely happy with what ive got. my stoich is at 14.3... i tried 14.1 but it didn't like. sorta bogged for about 5 secs. 14.7 its fine too, but smells slightly rich no color @ idle. i got my sliping tranny line pressures up, and it works for now, till i swap a 80e built. as far as AE goes.... things are good now.. was a battle though with the super highrise hurricane intake which is single plane. siting on it the BBC throttle body and blades. alot of people say hey add AE.. in my case it was hey.. subtract the hell out of me.. divide.

well if anyone with expertese can chim in, that would be great; i can provide screen shots of things here in a minute.

Last edited by Tbi-MAX; 12-17-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:44 PM

Re: Rbob I listened to your advice, but still not sure whats going on..

ok so my fuel curve looks like this... let me know if you need to see the tables.
Name:  fuelcurve.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  56.4 KB

then i love my spark table, not extreme, but i call it conservative, with brutal part throttle. makes the heavy truck switch through lanes.

Name:  sparkcurve.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  68.0 KB

and like i said... this works for me. alot of stuff ive tried, has not. i must be doing something correct here, cause this tune, brutal kills the dyno tune i had. difference is that i have the highrise, bbc tb, and injs, with my tuning. i started to tune, because the tuner couldnt figure it out. the truck is like a jet out of hell now.. but i just need to be sure, that im on the correct track.

Name:  tables.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  76.5 KB

let me know if more info is needed.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Hmm, well, to me you figured out what was going on and ended up with a decent tune. Congrat's on sticking it out and ending up with the additional knowledge and experience.

You mentioned a little rich at 4K+ ("smoke just at the upper rpms, like 5..4K."). On your VE% table it is flat above 4K RPM or so. It is normal for it to taper off in VE percentage.

Once past the peak torque the VE of the engine is dropping off. However, usually the HP is still increasing which requires more fuel. What is also happening is that the injectors are firing more often. So there is more fuel being delivered as the RPM increases.

This picture of a VE table shows this tapering off once past peak torque.

RBob.
Attached Thumbnails Rbob I listened to your advice, but still not sure whats going on..-ve_148.jpg  
Old 12-18-2008, 03:05 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once past the peak torque the VE of the engine is dropping off. However, usually the HP is still increasing which requires more fuel. What is also happening is that the injectors are firing more often. So there is more fuel being delivered as the RPM increases
That is a great point! ECU gets a DRP an that fires injectors if I understand correctly. My car is in hibernation for a few months(12 inch snow tomorrow) but when I begin tuning again in spring I believe I have to pull some fuel above 5000. Way too much fuel being delivered. Engine kind of lays over and stumbles a bit when I go WOT. Even on a gradual change of TPS% from 10-100 in third gear of 5. I did monitor the WB and it showed lean for PE above 4500 but I am think that read may be of unburned fuel. With 80 lbs injectors at 20 lbs FP I can deliver a lot of fuel. When I first converted VE2 from my old 7747 to EBL I think I went overboard in values fearful of too little fuel.

Happy holidays! "All I want for XMAS is a 2009 ZR1"
----------
TBI MAX. I have to ask. why are you using an xdf for a TPI? SOD_V03A TPI.xdf

Last edited by Ronny; 12-18-2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-18-2008, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
Hmm, well, to me you figured out what was going on and ended up with a decent tune. Congrat's on sticking it out and ending up with the additional knowledge and experience.

You mentioned a little rich at 4K+ ("smoke just at the upper rpms, like 5..4K."). On your VE% table it is flat above 4K RPM or so. It is normal for it to taper off in VE percentage.

Once past the peak torque the VE of the engine is dropping off. However, usually the HP is still increasing which requires more fuel. What is also happening is that the injectors are firing more often. So there is more fuel being delivered as the RPM increases.

This picture of a VE table shows this tapering off once past peak torque.

RBob.
yes, its pretty darn quick and sounds awesome. the richness i suspect is about 4k and up. I DO need to taper off the VE %, cause ive always noticed that in various bins but thought it was for stock restriction. i will give it a tapper off at 4k to upper rpm.. maybe take about -6 out above. and see how she runs. i notice most bins change direction around 3.6-4k.

makes sense about the way too much fuel up top. i must note.. this was one of the biggest changes i did, was to set the TPS threshold to double AE movin it from 99% to 55%. alot of people seems to have trouble with the 7427, but this is your friend for a heavy truck... truck just LOVES it. i just need to try that VE tapered.

Originally Posted by Ronny
TBI MAX. I have to ask. why are you using an xdf for a TPI? SOD_V03A TPI.xdf
it just a way better xdf that has all the flags and functions i need.. its in TBI mode btw. it was better than the other xdfs i try and my 7427 pcm loves it.

Last edited by Tbi-MAX; 12-18-2008 at 09:11 PM.