DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

New and Lost. memcal help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1l
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt/stock gears
New and Lost. memcal help.

ok here it is, im kinda jumping head first into this ecm chip burning. i downloaded tunerprort and been trying to do a little bit of research on how to use this thing and stumbled on a section about emulating the proms(guessing thats hooking my laptop straight up to ecu) which seems like my kinda deal, but my problem is i cant find any emulator's for memcal chips, all for proms, can anyone give me a suggestion on what i can use? i have a 92 camaro with the 3.1l and 5speed. really not sure of the numbers on the memcal though. ill have to look later if the numbers are even important.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:17 AM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.4/3500 hybrid
Transmission: 5-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: New and Lost. memcal help.

Here is the bin, xdf, and ads that my 92 3.1 5-speed used. You can load all these up in tuner pro, look around and try to understand all of it. If you don't have a datalog cable you'll need to get one, here is the one I bought http://www.moates.net/product_info.p...roducts_id=127 .The cable will hook up to your adl port under the driver's side dash.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Xdf 88.zip (6.1 KB, 10 views)
1227730_88.zip (2.4 KB, 10 views)
Bawx 88 5 seed.zip (20.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by 923.4v6; 12-13-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:42 AM

Received 220 Likes on 206 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

When starting out you are better off burning chips then emulating. The main reason is that with an emulator many changes can be made and you will easily lose track of where you are in the tune.

Other then the inital setup for a new engine, tuning requires a change at a time to be made. And need to keep notes on what was changed and why.

Over at moates.net you will find a G1 adapter, Burn1, and some 'sf512 chips. The G1 provides a socket while retaining the other MEMCAL functions.

RBob.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

I've used an Ostrich from the start, and can't imagine tuning any other way, well I can, but would take a LOT more time.

I do agree keeping track is what is needed, that way you can go back and change the settings back to something that works if you start getting too far off course. I will also occasionally save bins part way through tuning, so that if changes are made that seem to go away from the desired outcome, I can go back to a known working bin. Each bin is saved as a unique name. I also do this because of one instance where I had about 45 minutes to an hour into a tune, and then TP RT crashed, and lost those settings in the file I was working with. Downloading from the emulator didn't seem to work. So I had to start from scratch.

The emulators you will find don't emulate the entire MEMCAL, since there are 3 parts to the MEMCAL, The EPROM, the Knock Filter and the Limp Home chips. It's only the EPROM you want to emulate, so that is where the MEMCAL adaptor comes into place, to keep the knock filter and limp home chips enabled, but allow easy access to changing the EPROM, or emulating with an emulator. As Rbob said, the Moates G1 works very well for this.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:07 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1l
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt/stock gears

very nice guys, helped me out alot, i do understand the reasoning though on starting off with burning the chips, but like six_shooter said though i could just save the .bin file though if i mess up and loose track. i found the ostrich 2.0 for like 175bucks which is cheaper than a 300 dollar burner. but what im curious about though is about the g1 adapter, is that what i use to hook the my chip up to a emulator? then of couse emulator to laptop. i have alot of work to do to this ecu either way, big cam, bored .40, heads been ported out, bigger injectors, bigger throttle body, basicly the only thing i havnt done yet is taking off a/c and smog pump, and in the future im gonna be running some 2/turbos, and doing work like porting out intake and exhaust manifolds, i hear about ppl getting into that but i dont know if i want to. so yeah i gotta jump into this ecm programming, no one offers good reliable chips for my v6, that i could find.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

Originally Posted by redlinex
very nice guys, helped me out alot, i do understand the reasoning though on starting off with burning the chips, but like six_shooter said though i could just save the .bin file though if i mess up and loose track. i found the ostrich 2.0 for like 175bucks which is cheaper than a 300 dollar burner. but what im curious about though is about the g1 adapter, is that what i use to hook the my chip up to a emulator? then of couse emulator to laptop. i have alot of work to do to this ecu either way, big cam, bored .40, heads been ported out, bigger injectors, bigger throttle body, basicly the only thing i havnt done yet is taking off a/c and smog pump, and in the future im gonna be running some 2/turbos, and doing work like porting out intake and exhaust manifolds, i hear about ppl getting into that but i dont know if i want to. so yeah i gotta jump into this ecm programming, no one offers good reliable chips for my v6, that i could find.

The Emulator, Ostrich 2.0 for example, replaces the EPROM (AKA "chip" ), to have the ECM "see" a chip, but allows you to make real time changes while the engine is running.

The G1 allows the Emulator or EEPROM to be installed without the need to modify the MEMCAL. The MEMCAL has an EPROM installed in one end, that holds the stock bin file. This is installed in the ECM between the main board and the MEMCAL, with a 28 pin DIP socket that would hold the new EEPROM or Emulator cable. There are pictures of one installed on moates.net in the documention page or on www.support.moates.net on the G1 page. Seeing how it is installed may clear that up for you.

There are much less expensive programmers than $300, Moates has one that works directly with Tuner Pro for $85, (also has it's own program as well). Willems also have programmers that range from $35 to over $100. I own one of the inexpensive "Dual Power" programmers, and a "True USB" Willem programmer, that costs about the same as the BURN2. The Dual Power unit is tricky to use, jumper a dip switch settings that need to change, while the true USB and BURN2 are auto set through the software for programming the different E/EPROM's.

Mail oreder tunes will never optomize you engine anyway, bes to tune ON your car and not rely on what someone else thinks will work for you.