DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Too much info now I am cornfused, can someone point me in the right direction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much info now I am cornfused, can someone point me in the right direction?

Hi a cornfused newbie here. Let me give you the background info. I have a 86 Jeep CJ-7. It originally came with a 4.2 and a computer controlled carburetor.

I purchased this a year ago the smog stuff had been butchered badly. I live in California so the easiest solution was to install a Howell Engine Developments TBI kit which is C.A.R.B approved. This is based on the 87-91 C/K 4.3 truck engine. It has the 1227747 ECM and correct me if I am wrong but it has 55 lbs/hr injectors. So I installed this on the Jeep and cut out two 5 gallon buckets worth of wiring. So now I am SMOG legal.

Well the 4.2 died so I decided that i want a bit more preformance so I went with a Golen 4.6 long block. A 4.6 is made when you take a 4.2 crank and rods and install them into a 4.0 block. The 4.0 head is a much better head than the 4.2 so it breathes much better. Golen also puts in a Comp Cams camshaft that is more agressive than stock. Duration intake 210 @.050 exh 218@.050 Lift intake .477 exh .493 lobe speration 11 deg.

I talked to Howell and had them burn me a new chip, six versions later its still not right. I am not knocking Howell but the long distance chip burning isnt working. So I started reading up on prom tuning here and at Binder. I have down loaded and printed out about a 150 pages of info.

I then ordered the Moates APU1 Auto Prom package the ZIF socket some 27SF512 chips (the whole enchilda)

I got a spare 1227747 ECM and soldered it all up a chip with the 747.bin and I am good to go.

I look at TunerPro RT and think to myself were do I start?

I want to keep it simple and worry about fuel only to start. Ignition is handled with an MSD dissy. Later I may add ignition to the ECM but for now Ill deal with KISS. The EGR is controlled by a thermal vaccum switch and I have a manual trans. RPM will generaly be 3000 or less

So I am wondering what should I do to get started? Should log data with WinALDL and have ALDtobin smooth it out?

Or should I adjust some numbers in to Tunerpro RT?

Or am I missing anything here?

I know I have a steep learning curve ahead of me but I am a quick study I am just asking for some help to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

George
Old 10-02-2008, 08:42 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 350 TBI W/all Ultimate TBI Mods
Transmission: 700R4 Stage 4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.27
Re: Too much info now I am cornfused, can someone point me in the right direction?

I am a registered user of TunerPro RT. I do my logging with winaldl and use Moates Flash & Burn to burn my chips. Now, I do not manipulate my data I usually send that to Brian Harris (tbichips.com) and he modifies the bin and sends it back to me.

I would recommend that you give him a call tomorrow so he can assist you in the process. This is what he does for a living.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:22 AM

Received 226 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Too much info now I am cornfused, can someone point me in the right direction?

Start with using WinALDL, it provides a decent dispaly of the BLM values. Then use those value to adjust the VE tables. NOte that the '7747 uses 2 VE tables, a main and an adder.

See Chap 5, section '8063/'8746/'7747 in the Tuning Guide sticky on how to use the VE tables. Along with other information.

Head over to the TBI board here on TGO and in the sticky's is a "Come in for a Free Tune" thread. Lot's of good information in that thread for starting out tuning. Note that it is mostly based ont eh f-body TBI ECM 1228746. However, it is very similar to the '7747 inside.

RBob.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:03 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the first thing to do is calculate the base pulse width. Calc takes into consideration the CID-injector size(you need part # on top)-fuel pressure. Then burn that into first new bin. I would hope Howell already did that but I would verify.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:14 PM

All right gents, I have been playing around with this all weekend. I ran the old ECM and logged all the data with WinALDL then I had aldltobin give me a new bin and massaged the VE 1 table in TunerCat. The graph looks smooth and I should be somewhere in the ballpark or at least with in a 5 mile radius.

So I plug it in and it idles beautifully but the moment I give it a little gas the vaccum drops and it stalls. I had this same problem when I ran the stock 4.3 chip for the 1227747 ECM.

In my switch table I only have the O2 sensor, vehicle spped Diag, MAP, and O2 high and low enabled.

In the ECM constants I have only moved cylinder to 6 and BPW up about 10%. The rest I left alone since my EGR is TVS controled.

So any ides on what I am missing here?

Thanks George
Old 10-07-2008, 12:43 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So when you open throttle from a standing stop the truck dies. I might fatten up the VE tables in that area and beyond 5%. Does the engine cough before dying? Also look at the AE TPS% as that may need a bit more pumpshot at those % that the TPS is moving. When throttle opens it will pull fuel out of atomization and dry out the intake unless you have the enrichment AE provides. I would add the xtra fuel and see how it responds. When you add to much it will gurgle audibly.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:43 PM

Thanks gents I am making some progress mostly baby steps instead of leaps and bounds. So it starting to make a bit of sense.