DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Experienced Ostrich 2.0 users......

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experienced Ostrich 2.0 users......

Hi Everyone,

I bought a Ostrich 2.0 and all the software (It already installed), but for me, unless I have some sort of basic users guide I'm lost....

- When I first hook up the ostrich to the ecm, where do I go or what steps do I take to first to;
-Save my original BIN file
Next;
-To start Emulating
-To download changes to my ECM

Also, does anyone know what ALL the icons/buttons do???

I'm just totally unfamiliar with this ostrich......
Old 07-19-2008, 01:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73
Re: Experienced Ostrich 2.0 users......

What tuning program are you using?

The Ostrich 2.0 works with a few different programs and thier user interface differs a bit between them.

The original bin file can be read by use of a chip programmer. You could also find the same bin online, from a place such as moates.net fileman.

Once you are emulating you are making changes to the tune that the ECM sees. Again to start emulating depends on what tuning program you will be using. Most programs have an "upload" or "put" option.
I'm most familar with Tuner Pro RT, and use the "upload bin" button that is an upwards facing blue button. Then there is an "enable emulation" button, that will allow the changes that you make to the bin file in Tuner Pro RT to be changed in the Ostrich in real time as you make the changes.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:37 PM

I'm using the Tuner Pro RT as well....

Thanks, as I said I'm not use to this Program.

I wish they had a manual for just the general use.

So I would also need Moates BURN 1 as well to save the orignal BIN? I thought you could save your BIN with this Osrich 2.0 BEFORE you start making changes so that you can just upload the old saved file if you goof-up.

If you have any more info on this Program and the Icons that would be great cause I don't want to touch anything I'm not sure about ahead of time.

THANKS!!!
Old 07-19-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1990 Corvette, 1978 1985 C-10
Engine: 350, 406 HSR
Transmission: manual, 200 4r

So I would also need Moates BURN 1 as well to save the orignal BIN? I thought you could save your BIN with this Osrich 2.0 BEFORE you start making changes so that you can just upload the old saved file if you goof-up.

I use the Ostrich with TunerPro RT also. Your comment above needs a little clearing up. The Ostrich takes the place of the factory chip. So first you need a socket in the prom to plug in either the chip or the ostrich. If the ostrich is plugged in, and you are running TunerPro, you need a bin file to load in the Ostrich, you can't read the stock bin off the chip with the ostrich. With that said you need to load a bin in TunerPro then load the Ostrich via TunerPro. You can read a chip's bin file with the chip burner such as The Pocket Programer or download a bin from Moates website.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10

You should be able to download as well as uplaod a bin using Ostrich. Isn't your original bin in TunerPro RT? That's where it should be saved. All the Ostrich does is emulate the chip. TPRT is used to mod and ^v the bin.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
You should be able to download as well as uplaod a bin using Ostrich. Isn't your original bin in TunerPro RT? That's where it should be saved. All the Ostrich does is emulate the chip. TPRT is used to mod and ^v the bin.
The way I read it is that he doesn't have a copy of the original bin and wants to copy his original bin, which would require a chip programmer to read the chip from the original MEMCAL.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:31 PM

So if I only have the Ostrich 2.0 and Tuner Pro RT as my software I need;

- A compatible BIN file for the GM application I want to tune.

Is that all?

What is the XDF on the top left stand for and what is it?

I had a few of these types of files as it were with the software (application unknown) and I wondered what they were...

Do I need these XDF files to tune with this tuner pro?

If so, where do you get these from, Cause I haven't heard of these before.

Thanks!

David
Old 07-20-2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by hayesperformanc
So if I only have the Ostrich 2.0 and Tuner Pro RT as my software I need;

- A compatible BIN file for the GM application I want to tune.

Is that all?

What is the XDF on the top left stand for and what is it?

I had a few of these types of files as it were with the software (application unknown) and I wondered what they were...

Do I need these XDF files to tune with this tuner pro?

If so, where do you get these from, Cause I haven't heard of these before.

Thanks!

David
Yes, you need an xdf.

The xdf is needed to view what is in the bin file.

the xdf can also be thought of as a "mask". The xdf has all the information about where everything is located in the bin file and displayed proper to make it easy to tune.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:20 PM

Where would one go to find the correct XDF file they need???

I didn't realize that one would in a sense need the BIN & XDF file to tune with the Tuner Pro RT...
Old 07-20-2008, 08:29 PM

Where would one go to find the correct XDF file they need???
www.tunerpro.net Look under "downloads"
www.moates.net Look under "file uploads and downloads" aka "fileman"
You will need to know the "mask code" or "Checksum" ($42, $58, $8F, $8D, etc) to find the correct xdf. However some will be labled by the service number of the ECM, such as "7747_mine", since the names are chosen by those that created the files.

I didn't realize that one would in a sense need the BIN & XDF file to tune with the Tuner Pro RT...
You will also need an "ads" file to datalog with. The ads file interprets the datastream from the ALDL connector.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:32 AM

For DATA LOGING I was going to check and see if My Snap-on MT2500 Scanner has features in it to record live data so that I could just use it as my data logger, cause it does hook-up to the printer and prints all current info, etc.

hmmmm

Otherwise I was going to buy one from moates, But even IF I DO where would I be able to get these files you say I need? LOL, It seem you need files for EVERYTHING...

I'm so glade your bringing this up to me so I'm not surprised or confused later.

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:38 AM

OH, I just realized one good thing that scanner does do, is that when I hook it up it tells me the Prom ID # of the ECM
Old 07-23-2008, 09:13 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

OH, I just realized one good thing that scanner does do, is that when I hook it up it tells me the Prom ID # of the ECM
The PROM ID is associated with the calibration (the actual chip), not the ECM. This is a version number embedded in the tune for identification. When you tune yourself, you can change the PROM ID.

Then there is the Broadcast Code, or BCC. It identifies which GM version of the tune is in use. A specific BCC usually has a specific PROM ID.

Then there is the Mask ID, which refers to the operating system (think Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows XP), and the BCC refers to the tune version.

For instance, my Trans Am uses $6E (the "operating system") and had the BCC of ANZA (the "version"), and a (stock) PROM ID of $24D7.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83 POS monte carlo 2015 chevy P/U
Engine: 92 5.7 tpi 5.3
Transmission: 700r4 6L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.42 too high

i thought about doing the same thing when i first got into chip tuning.
to be honest, the MT2500 is junk for data logging. the data stream update is way too slow to really see whats going on.
from the first time i used one, i wanted more speed from it, TunerPro gives that speed.
with TunerPro on a system that has 8192 BAUD on the ALDL, its almost like watching a live scope signal.
after using TunerPro on my car, i really hate picking the red brick up to repair a car at work. the Modis is no faster than the MT2500 on the older vehicles.

there is a feature in TunerPro that you can set up & use while tuning that makes it easier to see where your at & what you need to change. by using Data Tracing, it
highlights the cells the motor was running in during the data log, or you can use it when your doing real time emulation.

sometimes you can find the bin file on the internet listed by the scan id, but 99.99% of the time its listed by the BCC, or broad cast code.

post up the numbers off the ECM & the BCC on the MEMCAL you have & we can help you figure out which XDF & ads files you need.