DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Ostrich / 7749 / and RT-Tuner Pro

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: TPIS II Supercharged w/Nitrous
Transmission: 700R4 Probuilt
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Richmond 12 Bolt
Ostrich / 7749 / and RT-Tuner Pro

I have been using the Autoprom for a few years now and have been able to get some good tunes. I just wish I could use emulation with the Autoprom on a 7749 ecm though. I know Manus and Craig Moates have been in the process of developing Scannerpro that is still in some developmental stages. I have been keeping an eye on that one, and am very anxious to buy upon it's complete release. I am curious about the Ostrich though. I know it is compatible with RT Tuner pro but can it emulate especially with the 7749 ecm?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:11 AM
AC
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Used to drive a camaro
Re: Ostrich / 7749 / and RT-Tuner Pro

I'm not sure if this answers your question completely but I run a 749 ECM, $59 code, Ostrich 2.0 and emulate without hickups.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:44 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

& so do many others...

http://code59.org/

Raf
Old 03-21-2008, 02:01 PM

Car: 93 GMC Typhoon
Engine: 4.3L V6 Turbo Charged
Transmission: 4L80e

Simutaneous ALDL and Emulation with the Autoprom on the 749 with $58 is next to impossible because $58 is so chatty (it is looking for a HUD unit to talk to to show MPG, etc.) During the development of Code59(modified version of $58), turbodig figured out how to fix this chatty code so the autoprom would work in autoprom mode (simutaneous aldl logging and emulation). He also figured out how to patch the $58 code so it would work with it also.

If you have a 3 bar map sensor you could run Code59 and get all the benefits of the code enhancements. (www.code59.org) or you can download the Autoprom patch for $58. This patch also makes scan tools, Datamaster, etc connect right away. There is not waiting for ECM connection, it just connects.

$58 Bin Patcher Program - Also has Wideband o2 patches for 58 here (which are all build into 59)
http://digware.lunarpages.com/digware/patch.html

$58 Autoprom Patch
http://www.syty.net/forums/showthrea...light=autoprom

That patch should fix your problem so you can Log and emulate at the same time. Also makes connecting to ALDL with any program/tool on 58 a snap.

Last edited by skwayb; 03-21-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:33 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

Originally Posted by skwayb
Simutaneous ALDL and Emulation with the Autoprom on the 749 with $58 is next to impossible because $58 is so chatty (it is looking for a HUD unit to talk to to show MPG, etc.)
Never had a problem using ostrich + tunercat w/ datamaster on $58/$60. I've had lots of problems with tunerpro, which magnus has through the years fixed on ad on but theres something about the datamaster feel I just love. Tunerpro has come a long way though.

During the development of Code59(modified version of $58), turbodig figured out how to fix this chatty code so the autoprom would work in autoprom mode (simutaneous aldl logging and emulation). He also figured out how to patch the $58 code so it would work with it also.
I'm kinda curious about this. Is this an autoprom specific issue?

Are you $59 guys working off a source that your compiling, like $60 or you guys editing the binary directly?

If you have a 3 bar map sensor you could run Code59 and get all the benefits
of the code enhancements.
Like I said in the other thread. I'd love to try $59, but with the loss of resolution with a 3-bar map sensor, and with only 6psi of boost I'm kinda surprised you guys are not having more problems.

Actually I take that back. Turbo applications are almost always under boost. Where as most every centrifigul blower setup i've built has only boosted when the pedal was to the metal.

(www.code59.org) or you can download the Autoprom patch for $58. This patch also makes scan tools, Datamaster, etc connect right away. There is not waiting for ECM connection, it just connects.
This answers my first question doesn't it...

-- Joe
Old 03-24-2008, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by anesthes
Never had a problem using ostrich + tunercat w/ datamaster on $58/$60.
That is because Datamaster just SPAMS the ecm until it gets a reply. I worked with mangus (since he lives up the road) and he didn't want to do it this way. We made a SPAM Macro in ScannerPro that worked everytime.

I'm kinda curious about this. Is this an autoprom specific issue?
How it was explained to me is the Autoprom basically wraps the ALDL packet up inside another packet when simutaneous emulating and logging so it could get the ALDL data and send ECM changes. Because of this it was hard to get the Mode1 Dump Command in the small window of apportunity.

For the heck of it, connect to your 749 and see how long it takes. Do it a couple of times to get a feel. Apply the ALDL patch and upload the bin. Try to connect now. It is almost instantaneous now on any scan tool.

Are you $59 guys working off a source that your compiling, like $60 or you guys editing the binary directly?
Complete Source thanks to Don(1981TTA). We make the changes, compile, run through the wookie, put it on a test bench and then try it in a car. I am the test monkey so I try all the code changes on my truck. We have a larger F29 table. it is now 16x32 (You can now fine tune the kPa areas of boost) instead of 9x9 (vaccum only table). We also have a bigger F77 boost multipler table, better boost control with changes to the F70 and F71 tables to be MPH.

Head on over to this thread to see the current features of V18.
http://www.code59.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=594 More Features to come (Knock gauge output (this is already working in some beta code and I am running it on my Truck), alky/nitrous control, baro code fix, spool up mode, kick down spool mode for improved spool on a down shift, etc.) TurboDig is doing a killer job on the code changes. Can't wait unit all these changes come out.

Like I said in the other thread. I'd love to try $59, but with the loss of resolution with a 3-bar map sensor, and with only 6psi of boost I'm kinda surprised you guys are not having more problems.
Resolution loss is a complete misnormer. Sure there is some but not as much as you think. 315kPa/256 = 1.23 kPa per A/D value for 3 Bar. 200kPa/256 = .78kPa per A/D value for 2 Bar. .5kPa at the same A/D value isn't gonna make that much difference since .5kpa is 0.072 psi. Not that much to worry about. Just sounds like a lot when you talk about it in kPa values. I use to think the same thing until I did the calculations to PSI. The new F29x table still has 10kPa different between each kPa cell. So if you are referring to the lack of resolution in that regard then that would be true since 8D has 5 kPa between each point kPa point. But we just aren't experiencing any lack of resoluton or find this as a problem. We have excellent idle quality on our changes to the code. Heck I run 65lb injectors on my Typhoon and have excellent idle quality.

One problem on $58 is most people thought their idle sucked because they were only playing with the F29 table. There is an F29C table that controls idle when the throttle is closed. Just about every chip I have seen almost never had that table changed or it was way off. To aide that problem we added the abilty in $59 to turn this table off and use our New F29x table (for open and close throttle) that has 512 points of tuning instead of the stock 81 points. It goes from 0 - 315kpa and 400 - 6400 RPM. Check out this post for some pictures of the tables compared to stock.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/post...13-post16.html

One thing that is missed in all of this discussion is we provide an Excel Spreadsheet to help you tune. Basically, take one of our base bins that matches your injector size, change the number if cylinders to match your setup, drive around while logging, dump the TunerPro log and the current F29x table into our spreadsheet, it will spit out a new F29x table, upload to emulator and repeat. This will get you about 85-90% tuned. Then you will want to tweak it to make it run how you like and to correct a few cells you may not like. Adjust your AE, DE, DFCO settings, Boost Wastegate Control, how much PSI you want to run, etc. Those things aren't touched by the Spreadsheet.

Hopefully I answered your question. Heck if you ever want to try it, I have a spare 3Bar map sensor you can barrow.

Last edited by skwayb; 03-25-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:24 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

One thing that is missed in all of this discussion is we provide an Excel Spreadsheet to help you tune. Basically, take one of our base bins that matches your injector size, change the number if cylinders to match your setup, drive around while logging, dump the TunerPro log and the current F29x table into our spreadsheet, it will spit out a new F29x table, upload to emulator and repeat. This will get you about 85-90% tuned. Then you will want to tweak it to make it run how you like and to correct a few cells you may not like. Adjust your AE, DE, DFCO settings, Boost Wastegate Control, how much PSI you want to run, etc. Those things aren't touched by the Spreadsheet.

Hopefully I answered your question. Heck if you ever want to try it, I have a spare 3Bar map sensor you can barrow.
I can't take this anymore. There is just something wrong with the open vs closed throttle transition on my current build and I can't tune it out.

Still no 2-bar support for $59 huh? On my powerdyne, I idle around 18" of vac, and only push about 6psi of boost. Would $59 be a good candidate for my setup ?

-- Joe
Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

I can't take this anymore. There is just something wrong with the open vs closed throttle transition on my current build and I can't tune it out.

Still no 2-bar support for $59 huh? On my powerdyne, I idle around 18" of vac, and only push about 6psi of boost. Would $59 be a good candidate for my setup ?

-- Joe
It would be an excellant candidate.Too many people seem to be scarred off by this 3 BAR MAP deal, admitetdly I was at first, but after downloading the files, and looking through them, comparing them to other known masks and files, I can see who $59 works as well as it does for so many people.I have not run $59 yet, since I haven't had a running OBD1 vehicle since the code came out and only in the last year or so have been able to buy or make the tools I need to tune. But with any luck in the next couple of weeks I'll have my Datsun running again, with $59, since I'm doing a turbo and EFI swap on it currently.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:10 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter
It would be an excellant candidate.Too many people seem to be scarred off by this 3 BAR MAP deal, admitetdly I was at first, but after downloading the files, and looking through them, comparing them to other known masks and files, I can see who $59 works as well as it does for so many people.I have not run $59 yet, since I haven't had a running OBD1 vehicle since the code came out and only in the last year or so have been able to buy or make the tools I need to tune. But with any luck in the next couple of weeks I'll have my Datsun running again, with $59, since I'm doing a turbo and EFI swap on it currently.
The 3-bar thing kinda annoys me mainly because I'd have to buy a $70 sensor just to "try" code that I might not like. I admit some of the features are appealing.

I've been using $58/60 for years, and it's starting to **** me off again. There is some thing that just cannot be 'tuned out', that otherwise work perfectly in $8D.

-- Joe
Old 07-14-2008, 11:49 AM

The 3-bar thing kinda annoys me mainly because I'd have to buy a $70 sensor just to "try" code that I might not like. I admit some of the features are appealing.

I've been using $58/60 for years, and it's starting to **** me off again. There is some thing that just cannot be 'tuned out', that otherwise work perfectly in $8D.

-- Joe

Yeah the lack of 2 BAR support put me off for a while too, since I have like 8 or 10 2 BAR MAP sensors kicking around. I don't think there will ever be 2 BAR support either, It just doesn't look like it would be an easy thing to do, with the way the rest of the code is set-up.

If it turned out you really didn't like $59, I'm sure you could sell the 3 BAR MAP to someone that needs it.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:57 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Yeah the lack of 2 BAR support put me off for a while too, since I have like 8 or 10 2 BAR MAP sensors kicking around. I don't think there will ever be 2 BAR support either, It just doesn't look like it would be an easy thing to do, with the way the rest of the code is set-up.

If it turned out you really didn't like $59, I'm sure you could sell the 3 BAR MAP to someone that needs it.
Retail $138, my price $99. Thats still high for a map sensor.. I should just buy a megasquirt!

-- Joe
Old 07-14-2008, 12:03 PM

Retail $138, my price $99. Thats still high for a map sensor.. I should just buy a megasquirt!

-- Joe
So instead of taking a fairly inexpensive route to test something that very likely might be the solution to your problem(s), you are willing to spend even more money on an MS and then have to learn that tuning curve?

Seems to me that swapping the MAP sensor in and then uploading the new code, with a program you're familar with, and even quite a few tables that will copy right over would make the most sense, but that's just me.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:32 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

So instead of taking a fairly inexpensive route to test something that very likely might be the solution to your problem(s), you are willing to spend even more money on an MS and then have to learn that tuning curve?

Seems to me that swapping the MAP sensor in and then uploading the new code, with a program you're familar with, and even quite a few tables that will copy right over would make the most sense, but that's just me.

I was kidding.

There is 3 base VE tables.

If the bit is set to use the f29x table, will it ignore the other two f29 tables?

-- Joe
Old 07-14-2008, 12:52 PM

I was kidding.

There is 3 base VE tables.

If the bit is set to use the f29x table, will it ignore the other two f29 tables?

-- Joe
Yep, all fueling control as I understand it is through F29x, with the proper bits selected. Im sure you know the URL but here it is again www.code59.org
Hard to tell when people are joking and when they are not in written form, because the internets is serious buisness.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:30 PM
???

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

-- Joe

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

just buy the thing, dump in a starter bin and run autotune a few times and be done with it.

its really so very simple.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:57 AM

Technically all fueling control isn't done with f29x. But 97% of the time that is the only table you need to play with.

If your familiar with $58, there is a F29 and F29c table. F29c being closed TPS (aka Idle).

F29x replaces F29

There is also a bit selection that turns off F29c. Which we can do now that f29x includes rpms you will see with TPS closed.

But if you really wanted to, you could run f29x and f29c. Everything is bit selectable.

Is 6psi enough to justify a 3bar map? I think so, I am running 7 right now and it hasn't been a problem at all. 2 bar MAY in the future be done, but with limited programming/spare time resources we have to pick our battles on what we attack next. Right now it is improving the baro code.

If the $80 sensor is an issue, Paul offered to let you borrow his spare sensor.

Feel free to post over on code59 with any other questions. I check it daily, this board I don't.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:12 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by ty1295
Technically all fueling control isn't done with f29x. But 97% of the time that is the only table you need to play with.

If your familiar with $58, there is a F29 and F29c table. F29c being closed TPS (aka Idle).

F29x replaces F29

There is also a bit selection that turns off F29c. Which we can do now that f29x includes rpms you will see with TPS closed.

But if you really wanted to, you could run f29x and f29c. Everything is bit selectable.

Is 6psi enough to justify a 3bar map? I think so, I am running 7 right now and it hasn't been a problem at all. 2 bar MAY in the future be done, but with limited programming/spare time resources we have to pick our battles on what we attack next. Right now it is improving the baro code.

Feel free to post over on code59 with any other questions. I check it daily, this board I don't.
I'll take that under advisement. I know Paul had offered to let me borrow a sensor, which was very nice of him. I may take him up on that. I'm gonna try a few things this week first, and go from there.

Thanks.

-- Joe
Old 07-16-2008, 05:35 PM

-- Joe
I know a couple of places that sell them for $70 or less...

$70
http://www.detroitturbo.com/cart/pro...products_id=66

$63
http://www.sytyperformance.com/index...mart&Itemid=26

Also my offer of using my spare 3 Bar map sensor is still on the table. Then if you like it you can just buy a sensor and send me back mine.
----------
Originally Posted by ty1295

F29x replaces F29

I made a post about the what the fuel tables are a couple of weeks ago. I made it its own post the other day.. this should reinforce what Jeff said above.

http://www.code59.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=935

Last edited by skwayb; 07-16-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-17-2008, 07:13 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: TPIS II Supercharged w/Nitrous
Transmission: 700R4 Probuilt
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Richmond 12 Bolt

I am almost ready for the full conversion to the $59 now. I ordered and am just waiting for the 3 Bar Map and my PLX WBo2 to come in. I have been playing with the Simple and Full XDF versions. I have notice in the simple you don't have the F-28 tables for BPC~vs~EGR. Is there a flag or switch that I can turn on to have that available in simple users mode?

Next question is If I goto Full mode.XDF and get my AFR to 14.7 so everything looks good, then save my bin. Then goto into simple mode.. Will the bin still retain the settings from the full mode.XDF ?? I am thinking yes it will.

This $59 code looks alot easier to use and everyone using it so far is happy that they can emulate now unlike the 7730/7749 with the $58 code.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Also my offer of using my spare 3 Bar map sensor is still on the table. Then if you like it you can just buy a sensor and send me back mine.
----------

I made a post about the what the fuel tables are a couple of weeks ago. I made it its own post the other day.. this should reinforce what Jeff said above.

http://www.code59.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=935
You are a stand up guy.

I read the FAQ (requirements list) and this post you linked to. Do I *have* to have a wideband, or is it just suggested?

-- Joe
Old 07-17-2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by ibmtech
I am almost ready for the full conversion to the $59 now. I ordered and am just waiting for the 3 Bar Map and my PLX WBo2 to come in. I have been playing with the Simple and Full XDF versions. I have notice in the simple you don't have the F-28 tables for BPC~vs~EGR. Is there a flag or switch that I can turn on to have that available in simple users mode?
The tables and constants are not simply turned on and aoff, they are actually added or deleted from the entire xdf. You can do this by "edditing the xdf". The nice thing is that you will have all the needed values and addresses in the full version to use to add anything that is not defned in the simple xdf.
Next question is If I goto Full mode.XDF and get my AFR to 14.7 so everything looks good, then save my bin. Then goto into simple mode.. Will the bin still retain the settings from the full mode.XDF ?? I am thinking yes it will.
Yes, the xdf is simply a file that takes the values in the bin itself, and displays them as something easier to understand than hex or binary. SOme people might actually refer to the xdf as a "mask". The xdf does not change any values ony displays them. The same part of the bin will still have the same value, if you use te simple or expanded xdf.

This $59 code looks alot easier to use and everyone using it so far is happy that they can emulate now unlike the 7730/7749 with the $58 code.
----------
You are a stand up guy.

I read the FAQ (requirements list) and this post you linked to. Do I *have* to have a wideband, or is it just suggested?

-- Joe
You don't need the WBO2 sensor, but it is strongly recommended. The tuning reasons should be obvious, but also the WBO2 fueling control depends on the use of an accurate and calibrated WBO2 sensor along with using one for best results in using auto tune.

Last edited by Six_Shooter; 07-17-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost