DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Ostrich 2.0 or Autoprom - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Formula
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt / 3:45
Ostrich 2.0 or Autoprom - a few questions

Looking to buy one or the other and have a few questions:

1) Is the emulation ability of the new Ostrich 2.0 significantly better than the Autoprom? The Autoprom has some features I am looking for, but is the emulation ability good for long term usage or is that a better job for the new Ostrich?

2) Is there any other “easy” way to put WBO2 data into the ALDL datastream, other than with the Autoprom? There are bins with the WB02 patch, but that means starting over from “scratch” with those bins. I would prefer to work with my current bin as it runs pretty well and I don’t know enough about code to add the patch to my “stock” bin. The only real reason I am leaning towards the Autoprom over the new Ostrich is the WBO2 data log ability, as it seems to be the only other way to get WBO2 into the ALDL log.

3)I have read of lockup issues with simultaneous emulation and data logging with a 165 / $6E and Autoprom/TunerPro. Does anyone know if that issue has been resolved?

The Ostrich will do what I want right now, but the next step is a WBO2, and the ability to get that data into the ALDL stream looks very attractive. If I buy an Ostrich and a BURN1 now, it would be painful to then buy an Autoprom later just for the A/D ability for the wideband. Too bad there isn't another A/D converter that Tunerpro could see and merge into the ALDL data. Even raw voltage data would be fine, I could always use a lookup table later in Excel to get A/F.

I know there are many people here with experience with this equipment. Any thoughts / opinions here are appreciated.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
Re: Ostrich 2.0 or Autoprom - a few questions

What ECM and bin mask? It sounds like all you want is the WBO2 data in the ALDL datastream. You said that you are happy with your current bin. What programmer do you currently use?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:19 PM

I have a 165 / $6E. My post focused on getting a WBO2 into the datastream, because I have not figured out how I am going to do it yet, and it may influence the emulator I buy.

Do you know if there is any way to get the ECM to read a 0-5 DC voltage through one of the unused pins without using the WBO2 "patch"? I do not need the program to look up tables or do anything with it, just pass a signal into ALDL. I may try it this weekend to see if it works with a test signal.

The current, stock bin runs the car pretty well, drivablility is excellent, but there are a few small things I want to tweak, so I am not really "happy" with it, just see no need to start with a completely different bin.

I have learned a lot studying the old and new posts on TGO , but am still a newbie. At this stage of the game, I am not interested in making changes “on the fly” with an emulator. I plan to upload a bin, datalog, go home and study the results, make changes, take notes, then do it all again. I want an emulator so I can just “plug in” to upload new bins to the car, rather than taking the bottom of the dash apart every time to swap chips, and I do not want to leave the dash apart until tuning is "done". With a family, I have little extra time these days, so paying for an emulator is worth the time savings in swapping chips. I also plan have a chip on hand in case the emulator has issues.

I am trying to “cut my teeth” here tuning the stock motor before I pull the 305 out and put something under the plenum that breaths a little deeper.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS (730,$8D,G3,AP,4K,S_V4)
Engine: 406 Hyd Roller 236/242
Transmission: 700R4 HomeBrew, 2.4K stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi, 7.5 Soon to break

If you are using APYP as a bin file then there is already a source code file of it that is relocatable. This thread details how to add the WB to the ECM.
I can't find my old file that I confirmed this with but it did work. I'm not sure if the guy that did it has ever posted the bin for others to have but the instructions for doing it yourself are there.
Do a search for "wbo2 closed loop"
Old 10-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Supreme Member

I would look into what bin you have and see if it matches what JP posted. Looking at the $6E code shows that the MAP and MAP2 A/D inputs are not read. They are the inputs you would use if you added a patch for the WBO2.

You could try using the MAT or Cool. Temp. input as a "test". It may throw an engine code and ignore the sensor and use default values, but the WBO2 would still read fine. It is a major work-around for using the stock code to read the WBO2 sensor value. The MAT is favorable because the CLT can change/switch in a different resistor value that will throw off your ALDL conversion table.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:14 AM

OK, so even though byte 29 in the ALDL datasteam says "MAP", according to the source code, the ECM is not reading pin C11 or D8? I had hoped that putting a signal to either one of those pins would show up in the datastream at byte 29. I knew it seemed a little too obvious and thought it would have been done already if it worked. I do not want to use a currently used sensor channel, like MAT, even though MAT is not a major factor, it still has an impact in the tune and running without it would degrade the value of the data.

So, am I correct to say there is no way to get an analog signal into the datastream without the WB hack, other than Autoprom?

Last edited by formula_pilot; 10-13-2007 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Supreme Member

According to the $6E source code and schematics, ALDL byte 29 is the MAT (manifold temp.). The MAP and MAP2 channels are not read and are not reported. Those inputs are C11 and D8.

To truly keep the ECM operating properly you will need a code patch.

The AutoProm can not insert the WBO2 value into the ALDL datastream. It can read the WBO2 sensor value and send it to the PC in parallel with the ALDL datastream. That means that it is not truly in sync with the ALDL data. It could be a snapshot of the WBO2 before or after the current ALDL packet. It will probably be OK, but not as good as having a code patch.

A $15 ryan.hess adapter board (here at TGO), $45 Willem progammer, and a 3 line code change will get the WBO2 value into the ALDL datastream.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:43 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 manual
Axle/Gears: down under axle

deleted by author

Last edited by yoxman13; 10-13-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:08 PM

Wow that would be great. Can you point to any posts that cover how to do the "three lines of code"? or would you mind posting on how to do it? Is this something that can it be done by a novice (with help), using a hex editor directly on a bin, or do I need to know how to "assemble" the source code?
Old 10-14-2007, 11:17 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

This should help immensely:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...ml#post1272839
Old 10-15-2007, 06:34 AM

Thanks Mangus,

In Craig’s post, he included the code to read A/D channel “X”, so to use pin D8 (MAP2), A/D Channel 0, should I simply change the “X” to “0” ?

ED07: 86 X0 : LDAA A/D Channel ‘X’

To

ED07: 86 00 : LDAA A/D Channel ‘0’ ?

It looks like he is storing the values from channel 0 into the place for “MAT”

ED0C: B7 01 30 : Store A/D value into 0130 for datastream pickup in place of MAT2(?)

Is this only going to replace the value of MAT only for the ALDL datastream, or will it alter the value for MAT used globally in the program and affect the tune?

Also, to read the data, would Pin D8 now be shown in the ALDL datastream in TunerPro as “Byte #30”, currently shown as “MAT” in your definition for $6E?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:30 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

Originally Posted by formula_pilot
Thanks Mangus,

In Craig’s post, he included the code to read A/D channel “X”, so to use pin D8 (MAP2), A/D Channel 0, should I simply change the “X” to “0” ?

ED07: 86 X0 : LDAA A/D Channel ‘X’

To

ED07: 86 00 : LDAA A/D Channel ‘0’ ?

It looks like he is storing the values from channel 0 into the place for “MAT”

ED0C: B7 01 30 : Store A/D value into 0130 for datastream pickup in place of MAT2(?)

Is this only going to replace the value of MAT only for the ALDL datastream, or will it alter the value for MAT used globally in the program and affect the tune?

Also, to read the data, would Pin D8 now be shown in the ALDL datastream in TunerPro as “Byte #30”, currently shown as “MAT” in your definition for $6E?
Yes, that looks correct. This will output your O2 A/D into the MAT ALDL output - it does not affect the use of MAT in the rest of the program.

Yes, you'd have to change the definition to use the proper curve for your O2 controller at the byte that was replaced (MAT).