DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

download bin through aldl?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 08 G8 GT, 98 Z28, 86 IROC, 85 Z28
download bin through aldl?

I've been searching for a while and still haven't found my answer.

I'm finally getting around to tuning my somewhat/heavily modded L98. I did one of those mail order tunes a while back and the car runs great when it’s cold, but once it warms up it idles way too rich and then leans out at the higher rpms. Once it’s hot, it losses all power and starts to stutter and backfire with too much throttle (detonation from being too lean?). Anyway, the chip I have in the car now is much better than the stock AUJP bin that I have.

I finally broke down and bought all the hardware and software I needed to get started tuning. I've burned a few bins (namely Traxion's SAUJP bin) and have had a rough start. My current "mail order" chip works pretty well, but not perfect. I'd like to download the bin from that chip (if possible) so I can use it as a starting point towards tuning. The chip itself didn't come in an adapter like Moates or anything. It looks like it's in the stock case or whatever it's called. I tried removing it and did a search on how to but I don't want to mess it up. I read somewhere about the possibility of download the bin through an ALDL cable. I heard mention of Craig Moates creating some kind of software for this but have not been able to find a place to download it or even figure out exactly what it's called.

If anyone could shed some light on this for me I would be very appreciative. I apologize for the lengthy post and yes, I am a total newb at this.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Re: download bin through aldl?

Wow, I didnt know that was even being worked on. But currently there is no way to read a bin thru the ALDL on a computer with a chip in it. You have to pull the chip out and put it in a reader/burner using an adapter and read it with software on your desktop/laptop computer.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:56 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.

I agree with Kevin (unless there's been some major technological breakthrough that I've slept through).

You need to read the bin off the memcal. There is an "adpater" you can make with a "header" so you read the eprom directly off the memcal into the reader. But that's about it.

I'll post some pictures of the "adapter" that you can make with a "header and how it looks when hooked up to your burner/reader.
Attached Thumbnails download bin through aldl?-4adp-memcal-pp.jpg   download bin through aldl?-1adp-bef-aft.jpg  
Old 03-24-2007, 08:23 AM

Received 220 Likes on 206 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

You need Craig's ALDL program called ECM852. It is a QBasic DOS program that will run under the older Windows comamnd box. I do not believe it runs under XP unless you boot to DOS. It is actually a data logger.

The ECM852 program will download the BIN via the ALDL connection. I'm not sure where to find it though. A good Google search should turn it up someplace.

RBob.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '01 GMC Sierra
Engine: 5.3L
Transmission: 4L60e
Axle/Gears: 3.73 eaton locker

You can use the software for this https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...ml#post2740464
It won't allow you to write to the chip without doing the modifications to the E.C.M. Mike