DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

EBL, TunerProRT, or Autoprom problem???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Chevy 1500
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
EBL, TunerProRT, or Autoprom problem???

I started this in the EBL thread, but in order to keep that thread focused, I figured I better post a new thread.

I'm not sure what's going on, but I can't emulate with my Autoprom. checksum disabled or not, I can't emulate. ***To be sure I'm disabling it correctly, in TunerPro, I'm just checking the disable checksum by uploading 0xAA to offset 0x08, correct???***I just started using the EBL, and the symptoms have changed some from pre-EBL set up.

With the WUD, the PROMID switches from 1 to 63---something very rapidly. I also get an SES light with the code being the prom, so the CALPAK takes over. No emulation ever takes place, where as before, it was just difficult to get going.

Everything was going good with emulating before, I just had trouble getting the ECM to recognize the Autoprom, then when it did, I could only make one change to the bin before the CALPAK would take over. I was pretty sure that the checksum was the problem. Unfortunately, I didn't try disabling it before installing the EBL.

For what it's worth, the chips I burn work perfectly. I'm hoping that I just screwed up in disabling the checksum, and maybe there's something else I need to do.

Now I'm not sure if the problem is the checksum, the EBL, or the Autoprom. Any suggestions?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:15 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi
Originally Posted by Pre-Tuner
***To be sure I'm disabling it correctly, in TunerPro, I'm just checking the disable checksum by uploading 0xAA to offset 0x08, correct???***
This depends on where the mask ID byte is in the EBL bin. In most bins it's at 0x08, but not in all.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:40 AM

Here's what Rbob wrote in the other post:

"To disable the checksum set the MaskID to $AA (170 decimal). It is currently set to $55 (85 decimal). With the MaskID set to $AA the ECM code skips the checksum check. "

I'm not sure what the "decimal" means, but does it have to do with the checksum location?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:57 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi
Here's what Rbob wrote in the other post:

"To disable the checksum set the MaskID to $AA (170 decimal). It is currently set to $55 (85 decimal). With the MaskID set to $AA the ECM code skips the checksum check. "

I'm not sure what the "decimal" means, but does it have to do with the checksum location?
Right, but the question is which offset does the mask ID live in?

For a primer on hex vs. decimal, read this:
http://www.tunerpro.net/tutorials/UnderstandingHex.htm

EDIT: Looking at the $85 hack, it looks like 0x08 is the proper offset (unless RBob moved it, which I doubt). So your checksum disable looks correct.

Last edited by Mangus; 01-22-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:21 PM

Well damn, back to square 1.

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
I started this in the EBL thread, but in order to keep that thread focused, I figured I better post a new thread.

I'm not sure what's going on, but I can't emulate with my Autoprom. checksum disabled or not, I can't emulate. ***To be sure I'm disabling it correctly, in TunerPro, I'm just checking the disable checksum by uploading 0xAA to offset 0x08, correct???***I just started using the EBL, and the symptoms have changed some from pre-EBL set up.

With the WUD, the PROMID switches from 1 to 63---something very rapidly. I also get an SES light with the code being the prom, so the CALPAK takes over. No emulation ever takes place, where as before, it was just difficult to get going.

Everything was going good with emulating before, I just had trouble getting the ECM to recognize the Autoprom, then when it did, I could only make one change to the bin before the CALPAK would take over. I was pretty sure that the checksum was the problem. Unfortunately, I didn't try disabling it before installing the EBL.

For what it's worth, the chips I burn work perfectly. I'm hoping that I just screwed up in disabling the checksum, and maybe there's something else I need to do.

Now I'm not sure if the problem is the checksum, the EBL, or the Autoprom. Any suggestions?
That is the correct location for the checksum. If it were the problem the SES light flashes rapidly.

With the chips working check these threads for setup of the autoprom. Mangus has some decent info on switch settings and testing.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...utoprom+switch
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...utoprom+switch

RBob.